What is your most expensive extravagant impulse buy kit

Of any subject?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Southern Bandit_*

Guest_The Southern Bandit_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

Mine is my Tamiya 1/16 Tiger 1 full option kit, meaning it had near everything to go in box for full R/C stuff bar the transmitter and suitable batteries n bits n bobs I later got from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh UK after a wee talk with them, so another £150 or so? ... The Tamiya Tiger I got second hand as an Ebay win a few years ago for about £500 buy it now I think it was, totally untouched and so it was new to me, did make a start on it though, even chewed up a bolt and nut part but got a replacement from Tamiya's UK distributors quite cheaply.

I must say, it was fun installing the suspension, the track tightening mechanism and the gearbox motors ... all high quality stuff for sure.

OTT Scale Modelling I guess? have bought AM decals for it after doing research and if I choose to continue the build its going to be the German Grey option for which I have already bought as much paint needed for and for a quick build ... Wow biggest model box I've ever bought though, Guitar beside for scale ETC, its suitcase big and even has a carry handle!

At this stage I'm not sure if I should keep or sell it, erring on side of keeping just now, a few hours a week over the next month or so could finish it and it would be fun to see it in action, gimmicky I know, but I dont mind that and us boys sure love our toys!

So what's your biggest, most expensive, ETC?

TFGdVo6.jpg

aLlJBGz.jpg

g5IAFUc.jpg

nS7pe9O.jpg

And what the kit will look like in action :)

Edited by The Southern Bandit, 13 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

• ScanmanDan, harvey, Uncarina and 1 other like this

#2 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

Formlabs 2 3d printer. Happy so far. And I'll be even happier when it works properly....

Price? You really do NOT want to know!
  • LSP_Matt, ScanmanDan, harvey and 2 others like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#3 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

a house to build models in lol

• harvey likes this

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#4 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

Wingnut Wings 'Jasta 5' Green Tailed Trilogy.  Bought within 5 min of arriving at Nationals last year.  Didn't even make it to the registration table first.

My previous WWI experience was the Revell 1/28 scale kits.  Since then, some Roden and Italeri reboxed kits.  Needless to say I've hardly even opened the box yet...

:mental:

• Rick Griewski, harvey, Out2gtcha and 1 other like this

#5 rigor

rigor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

I don't buy expensive kits. Lol
  • harvey likes this

#6 Guest_The Southern Bandit_*

Guest_The Southern Bandit_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

One day I will get a 3D Printer too :) ... its on the cards mate!

• harvey likes this

#7 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

HUH...................... cool, I see the 1/16 Tiger comes in it's own luggage..... neat

• Rick Griewski, harvey and CANicoll like this

#8 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

I think for me it would be the GT Resin B conversion and the Zots B decals.  After adding in the Tamiya kit and resin intakes it was about a $300 investment. 

I keep thinking about the 1/200 USS Missouri from Trumpeter.  Just want to make sure I actually build it and not look at the box in my stash for 10+ years like I have done with my Arizona kit. I keep telling myself that if I really want it, build the Arizona first.  My problem is that those two kits would probably take me longer to build that WWII actually lasted. 

Edit to add:  I almost bought the new 1/48 B-36 that came out last month.  I even had the wife almost convinced when I told her it was an investment to sell 10 years from now for 5X the price.  yea, like that would happen!

Edited by ScottsGT, 13 February 2018 - 04:40 PM.

• harvey, Uncarina, CANicoll and 1 other like this

#9 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

Actually, I have never spent a lot of money on an "impulse" buy kit. I've spent quite a bit on a kit, but typically after agonizing over it for some time! I think I like your way better. All the stress after the buy, none before.

My most recent extravagant thing wasn't a kit, and I thought about for about 40 years before buying it. It goes bang eight times and then PING, and was built in 1953 by some guys in Springfield.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim, 13 February 2018 - 04:39 PM.

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack, CANicoll and 1 other like this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), and some others.....

Completed in 2017: Trumpeter Bf109E-4, 1/16 Waffen SS figure

Previous Completions: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#10 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

My most expensive is the HK B-17G, but the most extravagant for me would be the Hph Me410.
  • Rick Griewski and harvey like this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa, Trumpeter F6F Hellcat   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A

#11 rigor

rigor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

Yea I know thoughts guys in Springfield built a couple for me also but yet it's not a kit plus any kit over $ 200 plus aftermarket. I can live with out
  • harvey and BiggTim like this

#12 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have not found mine yet, im willing to pay double for a Wingnut AMC DH.2, but it has been elusive so far. 

I guess the most expensive so far has been the Tamiya Birdcage Corsair, I paid almost full retail at my local HS.  

#13 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

Actually, I have never spent a lot of money on an "impulse" buy kit. I've spent quite a bit on a kit, but typically after agonizing over it for some time! I think I like your way better. All the stress after the buy, none before.

My most recent extravagant thing wasn't a kit, and I thought about for about 40 years before buying it. It goes bang eight times and then PING, and was built in 1953 by some guys in Springfield.

Tim

Only one? Amateur!   I've been through 4.  One for me, 2 for my boys when they turned 18 and had my best friend talk me out of one.  In that category, my Springfield Inc. "Fully Loaded" M-1A would be my most extravagant.  Of course now I'm eyeing an MP-5 and a supressor.  Still trying to figure out how to make it happen.

• harvey, BiggTim and Jeff like this

#14 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Only one? Amateur!   I've been through 4.  One for me, 2 for my boys when they turned 18 and had my best friend talk me out of one.  In that category, my Springfield Inc. "Fully Loaded" M-1A would be my most extravagant.  Of course now I'm eyeing an MP-5 and a supressor.  Still trying to figure out how to make it happen.

I thought we were talking about kits....I win.

cLSIYxf.jpg

• Rick Griewski, LSP_Matt, harvey and 4 others like this

#15 rigor

rigor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

I thought we were talking about kits....I win.

cLSIYxf.jpg

l. Yup. You win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users