Elite Infantryman (Tamiya)

LSP_K2

(Copied from another site, but I thought you guys might want to see it too.) Well here goes nothing; my second ever attempt at a larger figure, in this case the Tamiya 1:16 scale German with MP-40. Sooner or later I have several figures to paint, so I might as well start learning now. This will be more or less OOB, following the kit provided instructions and box art. Most smaller parts are in various stages of clean up for base coating, probably with acrylics. I'll skip past all the garbage, and just cover the meat of the display.

102611002.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Good luck with the figure. Learning anything new is always an adventure but rewarding in the end. It took me a long time and a lot of frustration to learn to paint figures (model railroading) and I settled on using Valiejo Model Colors as my weapons of choice.

Of course, I wouldn't even think of comparing my work with Jerry' - it's night a day and then me.

Lookinforwardar to following along.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Straps now all painted up, (mostly). Flat back for the waist belt, very dark leather brown for the strapping, except for one that's IJN Gray. Once the rest of the pea scheme camouflage is applied, a dark brownish gray should dirty it up nicely.

103011009.jpg

What we have here is "fun with dots". I thought this would take 15 minutes; it took nearly two hours. As I said, I"m not a figure painter, plus I drink way too much coffeine. I doubt I"ll do much else to the uniform, save for painting the rolled up sleeves. I figure the colors on the inside of the sleeves will be a bit more subdued (inside of the fabric and all that), so I"ll lighten all my colors and then paint accordingly.

103111008.jpg

Certainly one concession I'll have to make is the rubble pile. It seems unlikely that there would be so little rubble as I'll be displaying, but I don't want all that "stuff" to dominate the scene. Also, because the figure is molded flat footed, I can't have him standing on tons of debris. Small blocks of balsa foam will be glued to base to act as a substrate for plaster/debris, with boards, jagged metal shards, wire, and the like glued on afterward, and additional paintwork done to building. Well, that's it for now, but as I said, this is (hopefully), going to be finished by this September, as I intend to enter three categories, regardless of outcome.

110811011.jpg