Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E Tiger II

Slowly making progress on the Kitty Hawk F-5E - the forward nose section now has thin Evergreen strip styrene filling the slide mold tracks and that will be blended smooth shortly. Meanwhile, it was time to close up the gun bay doors. While I thought the doors were positionable, they were designed to be displayed open. The latches are molded open on the upper door halves which were removed and will be filled in with Mr.Surfacer 500. The upper and lower door halves required a bit of trimming to get them to close properly, but now they are closed.

kh_32018_21.jpg

Thanks. The best way to critique your own work is to publish photos and then look at them. I already see a few touch-ups that are going to happen very soon.

I think in the same way, it's actually made me more aware of stuff that I hadn't previously noticed, so has actually improved my game some.

I have something that I may try on the next build for trunking, but I'm not convinced that it is mission critical either. While it was a bit of a surprise to see that open cavity of the rear fuselage, once that was painted black, the view down the intakes isn't much different than the Hasegawa kit with the blanked-off intakes, and nobody has ever done aftermarket intakes for the Hasegawa F-5E to date. 

While installing the flaps and ailerons onto the wings, I noticed that the ailerons are both deflected down while the flaps are set at full-up. While you see a few that might sag when parked, I didn't see many on the line at Nellis that way. I reworked the hinges and have them neutral. The canopy and windscreen are dry-fitted and I'll be removing the excess putty off the ECS vent on the canopy frame next.

kh_32018_32.jpg

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA