Those 1/24 Airfix Spitfires... just how bad are they?

Anders_Isaksson

Michael: I've often wondered just how much more mileage Airfix can get out of that 1/24 Spit. Just imagine if it was retired and replaced with a new kit up to the standards of the Typhoon? My dilemma would be how many I wouldn't buy!! I'd have the same problem if they re-did the 109E.

I totally agree!!  I'm looking forward to finding out what their next 1/24 release will be as much as many here (me included) are drooling at the thought of the next Tamiya 1/32.  I'm hoping that it will be an early Spitfire too.  Their 109 Emil is also in bad need of an update to the Typhoon standard too.  Those exhausts cast into the fuselage are dreadful and are what's stopping me doing one today.  Their Hurricane stacks up well against the Trumpeter model, but done to the Typhoon's standard would be a real eye popper.

Cheers,

Michael

I hope they do another 1/24 kit to the level of the Typhoon too! A Spitfire of any mark would be amazing and a huge seller, maybe a Mk.I with optional parts to do early and late. I know some of you are wanting something later; a Mk.IX or XIV. The Battle of Britain trio would be welcome; 109E, Spitfire and Hurricane.

To be honest though, I'm hoping for a new Mustang IV...

Richard

I know some of you are wanting something later; a Mk.IX or XIV. 

Richard

Tell me about it! If Airfix released a Spit XIV in 1/24, then the amount of money I would subsequently throw at Hornby would end in a divorce for me!

Having said that, a theoretical release of a new Spit Ia or 109E would also lead me to a similar fate. Oh! but just think how happy I would be with all my new LSP styrene!  :wub:

• 8 months later...

Hello and greetings from the Great Land Down Under.

I've heard of people getting the Merlin engine from the Hurricane kit to put into the Spitfire build.  Is this the only real option to get a decent Merlin for the 1/24 Spitfire?

Thanks,

love this topic as I have one of these old spits (tropical red box) ready to be converted to a clipped wing mk9 with heritage resin conversion

My AM list includes greymatter seat, master guns, metal gear and some PE instrument panel.

I already build a Mk1 decades ago but this one will be a 349sqn (Belgian) RAF sqn