Big Beautiful Doll

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL

TAMYIA P-51D MUSTANG

I have to admit I discovered I’m a great starter and horrible finisher these days. Needless to say, it’s not an envious record and nothing to be proud of. Looking back, I reasoned the problem lay in biting off way much, way too soon, after returning to the hobby from 30a year hiatus. I needed a project, built mostly OOB, and fight the temptation of getting lost in the world of AM accessories. My goal, complete the group build to the best of my abilities. What better kit then the awesome Tamiya P-51D Mustang.

My Two Golden Rules:

Rule One: Build what is in the box. Rule Two: Follow Rule One

Rules I can live with.

As soon as I saw Eagle Cal was releasing decals for Big Beautiful Doll, I was hooked and knew where I wanted to go.

Step one would be the front office and the only add-on would be using RB Productions American WWII Seat Belt Set and Barracuda’s Decal cockpit Stencils and Placards . A few questions needed to be answered as to the variant that best represented BBD as offered in the kit and after posting, I decided to follow Ron’s advice and Thierry listed the easy changes that would be done, to get my ‘Stang close. I also had questions on cockpit colors, especially the floor and Jerry jumped right to the rescue. Thank’s guys!

Progress on the front office has been slow as there is a lot of assembly and detail painting needing to be done. Not wanting to get lost on detailing and following rule 1, I kept to the kit, or at least I tried to. Using Jerry’s cockpit as a guide, I added a few extra details that would easily been seen, but nothing more.

So here we go …………………..

Enjoy.

Peter

First up is the center cockpit: floor boards, seats assembly, instrument panel, the radio, battery and fuel cells behind the armor plating. Built mainly as per the kit instructions with a few small details added: fuel line and electric lines from the battery, to fill up a very visible area. I used Jerry Rutman’s cockpit as my basic painting guide and followed my normal weathering procedure: Used but not Abused.

All paints are Model Master Acrylics and all washes are Windsor & Newton Lamp Black and or Burnt Umber oils. Dry brushing was done with Apple Barrel Acrylics.

It’s hard to believe how many hours went into this small area but Tamiya provided a wonderful front office with tons of details. Interior Green was hand mixed and is a bit lighter until the washes went on.

My Barracuda Cockpit stencils and placards should arrive on Friday or Saturday and I’ll add them to complete the assembly. Next up; both cockpit sidewalls.

PCW_1592.jpg

PCW_1604.jpg

PCW_1601.jpg

PCW_1597.jpg

[

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Sorry Guys

I notice the interior green came out too light in the photos and a lot of the weather was gone. I re-worked one photo, paying more attention to the correct interior green color and the weathering. Hope this one is a bit better.

Thanks

Peter

PCW_1603.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Ads

Thanks Ads

Shame on me. I got sidetracked in other projects and then with the P-51 build extended, I had to jump in. The Jug sits at the bench and I promised her, she's next to be finished.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Thanks and much appreciated.

All the photos were taken with a Nikkor 105 F2.8 micro lens, shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom 4 Beta.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL

TAMYIA P-51D MUSTANG

Impressed doesn't even come close to the fidelity and detail Tamiya has engineered into the Mustang. After finishing up the center section of the front office, it was time to turn my attention to both side walls. All the parts fell together beautifully. For my painting guide, I followed Jerry’s Mustang cockpit build. I did notice a few goodies and bit and pieces were missing, all added from strip and sheet plastic. The 7th Cavalry arrived Friday afternoon, as my Barracuda Stencil and Decal sheet was in the mailbox. Gorgeous! What I thought would be a few hours turned into a five hour marathon but the front office is now done, except for the gun sight.

Next up: Radiator/oil cooling ducting assemblies.

Enjoy.

Peter

PCW_1610.jpg

PCW_1611.jpg

PCW_1615.jpg

PCW_1621.jpg

PCW_1620.jpg

PCW_1619.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Very much appreciated.

Thanks Joe, we seem to be working about at the same pace at pretty much at the same stage. Always nice to compare builds while they are going on.

Peter

I REALLY like the way the Tamiya cockpit looks assembled, and yours is no exception Pete.......looks awesome. I got a set of custom masks from Ian @ Ad Astra but I think the AD will have to be up next before a 51.

Great job...........gonna be cool to see some color on it. :)

Brian