F-117A Nighthawk (channelling my inner scratch builder)

Uilleann

Hi Bri,

It looks really good mate, and I can assure you that I had the same problem with mine as we have discussed. If it is any consolation, it does look better once the canopy actuation jacks and the canopy is installed.... sorta hides the problem. Also, will you notice it in a years time when you have a very imposing F-117 in the display cabinet rather than on the shelf of doom because you cant get past the problem?

Eric.

Amen!

So, so true - well said that man!

I think we can all get too hung up on some of the little things from time to time...

Iain

And amen!

Progress tonight has been limited to the cleaning up of the side panels, and some hard thinking about the kit seat vs. the QB flavor. As I've been struggling with the smallish size of QuickBoost's offering (or just as likely the over-sizing of Trumpeter's cockpit, and ejection rail spacing), I couldn't get around the rather large gaps between the rollers on the seat back and the rails:

Kit seat - perfect fit, snug with rails:

kit-seat.jpg

Quickboost seat - huge-ish gaps, FAR too narrow for proper fit with the Trumpeter kit:

qb-seat.jpg

At the end of tonight's internal debate with my committee of one, I have come to the conclusion that the QB seat is just too well detailed not to use it. I have given some thought to the possibility of perhaps adding some u channel brass on the insides of the rails to make up the gap, and at least give the impression - at a glance - that the seat fits properly. It's the best solution I can come up with at this stage, or maybe even just strip styrene to fill the gaps even though it is technically nowhere close to accurate.

But, even with the fit issues (and before final paint, decals, placards, and any shading/weathering) it looks mighty good sitting there so far and is no comparison to the hunk of grey plastic the kit offers instead! :coolio:

tub-qbseat.jpg

The wife gets home tomorrow, and then I believe it is going to be a very full weekend otherwise. May not have time for much in the way of updates, but will post as I get a little done here and there.

Thanks again everyone for both the words of encouragement, and especially all the insight, tips, tricks and expertise!

Cheers

Bri~

My W.A.G.:

Judging by the pics of the real a/c, the kit's ejection seat is too wide and AM ejection seat is closer to being accurate (I would say a granule too narrow).

Can the rails be relocated/moved inward?

The rails are cemented in place (tabbed into the rear bulkhead actually), so they could have been moved perhaps at the outset. But I wasn't planning on the QB seat fit being so poor with this kit, and had already begun assembly before the aftermarket seat arrived. I've slept on it, and I feel ok about just throwing in some sort of 'rail extension' to the insides of the kit rails to bring them into contact with the skinny seat instead. Initially, I had thought to model with the canopy open, but might change that in the end. That's a long way off yet though so not too concerned with the decision yet. Just wanted to build up everything with the assumption that it will be highly visible.

I've got a few other large headaches looming on the horizon that are certain to distract me from the seat issues. Not being any sort of scratch builder myself, or in any way experienced (or indeed comfortable) with moderate/large surgery projects...the imminent intake redesign and build will be the next 'oh crap' moment for me I'm sure. :) I appreciate the kick in the pants here and certainly plan to keep going in earnest.

Cheers!

B~

Progress!

...In a manner of speaking at least.

So after my initial frustration of the poor fit of the QB seat in the Trumpeter kit here, I believe I've found a solution that I can live with.  May not score me any points with the judges - should I ever feel brave enough to enter this crazy thing into a local contest perhaps.  But I think it's something small enough I can live with.

C channel strip.

Evergreen to the rescue with a pack of their #262 - 2mm  (.080") strip.  It was a complete guess while at the local hobby shop this afternoon, but it couldn't fit more perfectly.

Couple of test pieces cut to rough length:

c-channel.jpg

And the gap is bridged:

tub-spacers-top.jpg

Not bad from the front either:

tub-spacers-front.jpg

Of course, I'll spend some time attaching these in a more permanent fashion, painting and weathering - however I think the look isn't that far off, and it allows as close to a proper looking seat to rail interface as I'm likely to achieve without tearing everything down and starting from scratch all over again.  What are your thoughts guys?  Is this close enough to make a go of it?  Or still too obvious and incorrect in appearance to get the hackles up of anyone who knows anything about modern jets and their proper seating arrangements?

The wannabe scratch builder in me was rather pleased with the tiny spark of inspiration, and it certainly helped to boost my modeling mojo a tiny bit...and at this stage, I'll take all I can get!  ;)  But, as always, I defer to those here more skilled, and undoubtedly wiser than myself!

Cheers!

B~

Edited by Uilleann

Slow but steady progress this weekend so far.  No massive works accomplished, but a few details taken care of and some new sub-assemblies are beginning to come together.

New rails to fit the QB ejection seat being too narrow for the kit issue:

rails.jpg

The fit is good enough, and right over the rollers, that I could model this thing mid-handle pull with the seat halfway up the rails!  :)

ejection-works.jpg

Started work on the FLIR pod, which I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the look of so far.  The lensing effect is nothing short of believable and I'm strongly wanting to pose this with it facing out.  Granted, perhaps not absolutely correct for a parked bird...but maybe I'll make it up just prior to wheels off or something:

Tub-FLIR.jpg

Even took some of my new found confidence and worked out a little detail that bothered me for a while now (even the Tamiya kit did this).  There are the two openings on each side of the rails on the back bulkhead.  Boxed in twin staggered square shapes, that are always just modeled as open holes.  On the prototypical jet, they appear in photos to be translucent - almost pearly in some shots...lights maybe??  At any rate, I never liked the 'black hole' appearance there, so I raided the toothpick box, snapped off four ends, about 1/8" long each, painted the tips white and - here's the best part - just mashed them in from behind the bulkhead (holes go all the way through) till their tips were showing.  Yeah, not the most accurate I know, but it's a far cry better than nuttin!  I actually really like the look in person:

tub-details.jpg

Last thing before bed tonight was to install the PE for the canopy framing.  Eduard did a really nice job with this particular set.  Would certainly recommend this to anyone thinking of working on this kit:

canopy-pe.jpg

All for now - possibly more to come over the long weekend here...if the wife doesn't rope me into painting three rooms here at home and a fence out back instead!  ;)

Cheers!

B~

Edited by Uilleann

Nice progress mate! Sometimes it takes something to be wrong to push us to step up to the next level in our modelling, and it sounds like this is what's happened with your build. Triumph through adversity!

Kev

Thanks Kev - encouragement from the likes of all yous masters here on the site certainly helps keeps the spirits up, and the focus keen.  Sincerely appreciate both the positive vibes, and your attention to this build!

Cheers!!

That is one squared-away cockpit.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks too mark.  It always seems that the more you look, the more there is you can do right?  :)  Well, tonight, my thread of micro-progress at a snails pace continues.  :)  I remembered I had some old speaker wire in the basement that as I recalled was made up of lots of tiny strands.  Not having done anything like it before, I figured it was time to try something new.  Perhaps Iain's bug has bitten (though perhaps pretty softly to start) and the scratch building ideas are starting to trickle in.

With a little help from my trusty (and TINY) #80 bit in the pin vice, I set to punching some new holes in the rear bulkhead, and shoving as many "cables" into things as seemed appropriate from the limited photos available of the production craft.  The results...well, you decide.  I also added a few tiny placards around the cockpit and to the bang seat, as well as throwing in a hydraulic handle on the cockpit wall as well from 0.5 mm steel rod.  As mentioned before, no massive progress, but a little here and there.  Wash to come - be patient with me:

bulkhead-details.jpg

I made a preliminary shot of black on the inside of the canopy framing, and started work on the latches on the sill.  Managed to charge ahead blindly, and paint the wrong part white.  Chalk it up to weekend er....'merriment'  :)  That pumpkin ale brew is mighty tasty!  I'll go back of course, and fix the white putting it on the box to the rear as it should be, and tidy up the rails a bit more.  All in all, rather pleased with the look of the kit canopy with the update set added.  Gives it just enough to catch the eye, but not overdone:

canopy-preliminary-paint.jpg

Also shot a first coat on the DLIR pod and housing, and may work on finishing those up this weekend if I can find an open hobby shop close to home that carries a nice looking clear purple for the lenses.  Thanks all for following along!

Bri~

Edited by Uilleann

Boy, that little touch of wiring sure bring things to life in that pit. Just so that you know lead wires used to replicate wiring anyplace need and they take well to superglue and paint. Plus, they lay down well against any detail. ;)

Mike,

Do you have a source for the lead wire you use? I can only find solder out here, and even at it's smallest, it would be hard to pass it off as anything more than a sewer pipe - it's that big. In the mean time, I'm adding just a bit more to the bulkhead this morning.

Cheers!

B~

Edited by Uilleann