Herbert Altner s Me-262 B-1a/U1 Red 12

dutik

Different view from the top. This is a lot like what I think 'red 10' would've looked like? Who knows for sure, eh? I eventually finished this model and gave it away, but didn't take any final photos. :D I believe these 'red 12' decals are pretty close to what was on the actual aircraft? If interested, send me a PM with an address and they're yours. Can't wait to see the next update pics dude, that cockpit is looking fantastic! Again, sorry if you think I'm stealing your thead...I just wanted to show what the decals look like applied. Later, Russ

post-4413-1264152784.jpg

You are welcome! Looks very nice. It's the Hasegawa kit, isn't it?

I have build a red 12 years ago. It was the braille scale Revell kit. I made a simple setting with some British troops capturing the bird. And I goofed the paint job: Painted the upper wings RLM 76 too... So I want to get it right this time :innocent:

Thank you for the offering of the decals. I am asking the german fellow at the moment. If he has no proper numbers I will drop you a PM.

At the moment I am fighting my way to paint the instrument panel. Especially the red, yellow, white, blue circles around some clocks. Many thanks to Trumpeter for making the center of the clocks hollow. So there is no need to drill them out (for a better look) and it is way easier to get the colored circles by sticking the brush into the opening and gently twist it around the edges. Oh, I have painted first black at the inner side of the clocks for a more solid look. And drilled holes into the back of the clocks for some wiring, because this area will be still visible after closing the cockpit.

Something I miss are some decals for the inside. Even aftermarket decals. There is a lot of stencelling around, as well as some more instrument faces. Don't know how the superdetailers using resin cockpits overcome this problem. Has Eduard made a prepainted set? This would solve this issue, at some cost, of course ^_^

Yes, I love my oil paints for painting effects inside a plane. The longer drying time is a considerable advantage over any kind of acryls and enamels when it comes to washes, color effects, blendings, shading an so on. The slight sheen is also a bonus when painting leather bits. Also no problems with underlying acryl paints.

For washes at the outer surface of planes I prefer water color (aquarells). Lots of colors available, and when you made it wrong, you are able to clear them off with pure water without harrassing the surface colors and to try it again :thumbsup:

Regards! - dutik

Dutik- Nice work! I have the Hasegawa kit in the stash, and I will build it one of these days. I love the 262, especially the B model. I also love the nightfighter paintjobs of the Luftwaffe as well. I like the work on the cockpit so far. Please keep the updates coming!

THOR :notworking:

Made some progress with the cockpit. Instrument panel was painted and glued in place. You have to trim the left side of the glass part to get a good fit, also to cut down the size of the instrument film to fit between the parts. Used Humbrols "Clear fix" for the job. Next step will be wiring of the backsides of the instruments and some detailing of the stick. Looks like the seatbelts were donated by a chinese armour company - real good (and strong) stainless steel. Time to bring the big pliers to bear :speak_cool:

Sorry for no images yet - days are short (and I am working), but I want to make some daylight shots to show you the real look of the paintjob.

Regards!

- dutik

Had to fight the snow, so no time to take images during daylight. After a power blackout was over, I was able to take some with lightbulbs and flash. Don't care about that blotches on the center wall. They are less visible with natural light and located below the backseaters desk.

Painted the colored rings around the dials with Tamiya paint. The instrument wiring is lead wire, painted medium grey, then yellow (Tamiya too). I cut a slot at each side of the tub to secure them at the wall. Don't know if this is the correct position, but it is not visible. With the front window on you will only see the wiring coming out of the dials.

The seatbelts were not that hard to bend as expected. Call it resident paranoia from the early dragon aircraft kits. Remember that kind of rockhard PE? Painted the belts Buff, the loops aluminium and the pads flat brown (Tamiya), then twisted them as possible and glued them in place. The shoulder belts are fixed with their own loops to eyes at the top of the seatback, just like at the Me-109. Thats why I cut a small part off of the triangle to lay them flat onto the top of the seatback, around the prominent seat parts (or eyes). Did you get this? Sorry for poor explanation. The lap belts are secured to eyes at the inner rear back of the seat pan. These are there, but hidden by the back cushion of the kits seats :rolleyes: So I also cut off some material from the tip of the belts loops and glued them into the lower rear corners. After all parts were in place as wanted (and after some bad words too) I repainted the tops of the seatbacks to hide some superglue remnants. The seatbelts got a not-that-solid coat of white oil paint, blended with the yellow underground, the pads some translucent redbrown oil. The last step was a blacklining with oil paint of all metal parts and other prominent areas to create a shadow for more 3d look. Oh, if you miss the control stick: it is still at the working table to recieve some touch ups as well as the cable running down at the backside. Same with that handle on the instrument panel.

post-7459-1264959769.jpg

That wooden piece is just some balsa stuck into the recess at the bottom to prevent the tub from rolling around.

post-7459-1264960058.jpg

I hope that I've got the fuselage closed when I will take new images next weekend :rolleyes: There is some tight fit and some tension in places, especially at the cockpit opening.

Regards! - dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellow Me - 262 Nuts!

Nice photo of Red 12 model - I would be pleased myself, with that effort!

I have many (I mean Many!) 1/32nd Me-262 models stashed away and ready for my retirement.

I plan to do all the major variants as well as the B- 2-seater of all the night fighters of 10/NJG11.(and some trainers)

By my research (so far) this is how my Red 12 will be: I've spent years on this and popped a few brain cells along the way!

OK, this is it:

Fuselage base color : Green shade variation RLM 76

Bottom surfaces RLM 22 Black

Main wing Leading edge slats - RLM 22 Black (Yes! Check photos boys - very dark tone) if it was RLM 82 , this would appear as a mid-tone in Black&white shots.

Port engine RLM 22 Black

Starboard engine RLM 22 Black (except) replacement front engine ring - Light grey with RLM black top . Not kidding !!! (check photographs - boys!)

Upper wing and stabilizer surface 100% solid RLM 82 Dark green

Fuselage scribble pattern RLM 75 Grey-violet Dapple.

Interestingly enough that every aircraft in that squadron was different to the next!

Red 6 (for example) ... and it didn't have the RED number 6 on it (by photographic evidence)... had very light grey upper fuselage base color and solid Grey 75 RLM wings!

This info that I have put forward here...comes from a British document of this aircraft (Red 12) when it was captured by the British and spent about 12 months in England before it was damaged in a storm (apparently)

I'm amazed at the 'variations' seen of this aircraft (red 12) over the years.... which comes down to 'interpretation' of the 'arteest!'

This artwork gives an example why there is such a great confusion out there!

post-13971-1265788604.jpg

post-13971-1265788624.jpg

The project has not stalled. Had to finish a major irl job for our main customer firstl. Now I am fighting my way to close the hull. Boy, there is a lot of tension! So I am gluing one seam per time and let them dry for a long time before moving to the next one. Don't want to see the hull cracking open after the paintjob :speak_cool:

Regards! - dutik

• 5 months later...

I am putting the finishing touches on Red 11 form of the Trumpeter kit at the moment.

With little reference wise for the top of the wings I kept the 74 on 76 scheme going and even on top of the engine nacelles. This is mainly to have it look nice, as I am sure there will be a reference somewhere stating it had RLM 82 or 83 wings tops, but it looks nice and matches the other night fighters in the cabinet.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress pictures.

I am sorry. My Dad passed away a few weeks ago, so all major modelling activities are on a hold at the moment.

I will continue when ready. It is for Russ' too. I have still his custom-made decals for the "12" at my desctop.

With kind regards

- dutik

I am sorry. My Dad passed away a few weeks ago, so all major modelling activities are on a hold at the moment.

My condolences to your family. With sincerest respect I would say no one on this forum would think it even a little unusual to put modeling and possibly the entirety of the rest of your life on hold for tragic events like this.

Brian