Werfer-Granate 21's

dodgem37

Kagemusha, Thank you! I think.

Kevin, I'm good with that. Thank you. Imagery is few and far between on this subject. Especially the side facing inward. The best illustrations I just happen (truly quite by accident) to have is from this pub:

book_fw190.jpg

There are two sets of pages with really good drawings. It does have a few photos, but the illustrations are more informative. It just doesn't make sense to me that a Nebelwerfer would have the firing hardware on the outside and an aircraft werfer would have the same hardware on the inside. I'll make the second one with the hardware on the outside and compare. If I have to make a third to make a pair that's no big deal to me.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Well, the rockets showed up in the mail while I was away,

DSCN6183.jpg

DSCN6184.jpg

and it would have been real nice if they had fit into what I had done. But they didn't. The rocket is 7mm in diameter, which is the outside diameter of my tube. So I guess the 21cm means rocket, and not tube! Dog me.

I've looked thru my stash of brass tubing and found something that looks to scale diameter-wise and that they will fit into, but there isn't room to include rails, which means there won't be room for the internal wiring and junction box. The next tube up allows the other tube to telescope within, but it appears to have just a bit too big of a diameter for scale. I'll double check.

I have a stash of 9/32" plastic tube, but I'd do better with an 8mm or 5/16" outside diameter. So before I start drilling and hacking brass, I'll see if I can track down some 8mm-5/16" O.D. plastic tube. I also need a drill bit to match.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Ta152H1

Here's a guy that could make them...for a few friends,when and IF his time permits:

http://www.brachmodel.it/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=103&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89&lang=en

As a side note,the M1 Garand is a .30 caliber rifle,but the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle end is....511" ;) I seriously doubt it'd chamber a,say,.50 "Combined effects" round!

Edited by Ta152H1

Thank you for your really nice compliment, Kevin. It was a bummer. I've already tracked down what I need to make the changes. I don't like to leave projects hanging.

In the meantime I'll mosey back over to the K-4 build.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, why not just chuck the rocket in a drill motor(if you don't have a lathe) and sand it down a bit until it fits the tube? You could retain the overall shape without a redo on the tubes.

Mark,

Awesome scratchbuilding, and sorry your 'bits didn't fit'.

May I ask what refs you're using?

My guess is that it might be easier to get accurate measurements for the rocket, rather than the tube?

Perhaps try Missing Lynx as this is after all a piece of armour ordnance, and those guys know their stuff.

If there is a Panzer Tracts edition covering this weapon, chances are it will have definitive measurements, usually in 1/35 scale.

Sorry, I should have said all this before.

Nick

Probably a bit late, but I completely forgot I had the Waffen Arsenal book on German rocket weapons. Below is a real nice shot of a 21cm Werfer from the rear. May or may not help your effort, but I doubt it could hurt it.

Werfer1.jpg

Mark

Whilst the 2nd manual (on the projectile itself) was interesting, I think the stuff you needed was in the one I sent.

However, here's a nice cutaway of the thing...

ScreenHunter_01Jul062122.jpg

Matt

Groovy. Thank you, Matt.

While thumbing thru my Prien & Rodeike book looking for F-4Z/Trop stuff I came across some more images of the tube. Two are clearly showing the wiring running along the outside (at the wheel side) into the junction box, the semi-circular firing rod in place, and a locking arm, all similar to that of the Nebelwerfer. I got lucky.

Sincerely,

Mark

Groovy. Thank you, Matt.

While thumbing thru my Prien & Rodeike book looking for F-4Z/Trop stuff I came across some more images of the tube. Two are clearly showing the wiring running along the outside (at the wheel side) into the junction box, the semi-circular firing rod in place, and a locking arm, all similar to that of the Nebelwerfer. I got lucky.

Sincerely,

Mark

If you're referring to this Schiffer book, I hadn't even thought to look there. :oops:

Schiffer109.jpg

That's the one. Page 106, although the rear end is in shaddow one can discern the ring of the rocket in the tube (Pg. 107 has an illustration). Page 110, bottom left photo has the rear end in sunlight. Both show a retaining clip. Pg. 107 is on top, Pg. 110 is on the bottom.

Sincerely,

Mark