Tomcat launch dio 1/48 - DONE AFTER 4.5 YEARS!!!

ClumsyDude

Thanks Starfighter! :)

I can't remember exactly when I bought the masks. The painting in those photos was done over a year ago, but I probably had the masks for at least six months before that.

I am very disappointed to learn they aren't doing custom masks any more, they were really responsive and the product was awesome.

Cheers

Jim

Ad Astra did most of my masks (the Miracle Masks were only for the Langley stripes on the front). The vertical tails, aircraft codes, NAVY stencils, and wing insignia were all Ad Astra, based on scans of decal sheets I sent in (they also scanned a bunch of decals from the Skunkmodels carrier deck set and tractor, some of which I haven't used yet, and none of which I've posted). Product was super quality, I had to wait for about six months but it wasn't an issue as it took a year and a half to get to the paint stage. But I ordered those back in 2012, if memory serves, and I have no idea if Ad Astra still does custom stuff.

The only other option I know of (short of buying a mask cutter and designing the masks yourself) is Maketar, they have a vendor page here at LSP. Not sure if they do custom. But other LSP members may know more??

Cheers

Jim

Quick update, I just checked the Maketar site and it says (on the "Contact" page):

If you have questions, comments, need a custom made mask set or simply want to say hi, please do not hesitate to contact us!

... Then...

We will not be doing custom masks for some time. Also, please accept our apologies for slow response on emails in some occasions. ALL orders are dispatched regularly and in timely manner! Thanks!

So no joy there :(

Edited by ClumsyDude

Thanks a lot for checking! I will keep my eyes open... I do my artworks myself, this isn't a problem. I also had decals for my RF-8 custom printed in Czech Republic, but I have to admit this is getting somewhat expensive for my one-off models as nobody else would buy the surplus sheets I have - nobody or very few people do have 32nd scale Vikings, Hawkeyes, Prowlers or Vigilantes in their stash...

It's funny, I'd happily pay a lot more for custom masks than what people charge - I think I paid $30 for the Ad Astra set, which was huge. Would've happily paid double that or more, given that for me it's a four or five year project ... I wonder if price is the reason suppliers have opted out of custom masks?

Jim

Thanks Kevin, appreciate the comment. I didn't know about the Verlinden set, and I thought I'd done all the research it was possible to do! Do you have a link?

Cheers

Jim

My error, apparently it was/is 1:72, not 1:48. I should know better than to trust my memory.

Thanks Kev, I know what you mean about memory ...

Anyway - on to the decals. Given that I'd used paint masks, the decals was mostly just the fiddly stuff. Here they are on the front fuse:

64B508E9-FF71-4C55-9EFF-62F3CEACD231.jpg

1E69BF0D-793B-4B3B-8A79-BADB3C52BC7E.jpg

And rear ... note the "12" on the tail, which was custom-printed by Ad Astra. They made masks, but it was too fiddly getting them lined up between the black and yellow.

CABAA50B-29DF-494D-BFBC-AD09CF8971D3.jpg

'Nother closeup on the nose ...

E3A476F1-1C01-44DA-8A3E-433A8D3A96F0.jpg

And the other side ...

255D9756-8669-4920-A2A0-EA11C646A2D1.jpg

And here's one of the overall

BD90C7C8-7BE3-4BDC-8392-859E9FC93C41.jpg

Note the high-tech pitot tube protector, fashioned out of super-high-tensile cardboard and fastened on with high modulus Tamiya tape! You need to develop solutions like this when you're as ham fisted as I am (and particularly when it takes four years to build a model, and you're constantly handling it). :mental:

Later this week: the patented ClumsyDude goop wash technique!

Cheers

Jim

Yep, did see that one in progress ... you'll definitely have a follower once you get back to it ;)

Jim

It needs to be sooner than later. Hopefully I'll get back on it in July.

Having got the decals and clear coat done (Mr Super Clear gloss, which I highly recommend if you have good ventilation & a respirator), it was time for a wash. Where the overall colour of my models is light, I've found that using a black wash has led to them looking a bit like Frankenstein's monster. So I have tended to go more for a wash that is a shade darker than the paint, as in my observation panel lines are barely visible in most cases.

Reference photos of F-14s show quite a few panels where the panel lines are very prominent, however. For these I wanted to wash them in black.

However, this raised the question of how I could get a black wash into some lines, without it running into the neighbouring panel lines which were supposed to be grey. Other, more skilful, modellers might have a better solution; I ended up with a clunky kind of enamel wash.

First, I washed the model overall in medium grey. Then I put a much more goopy wash in black over the desired panel lines; it has to be just goopy enough not to run, but still thin enough that you don't get too much on the line. Then I let it dry, before coming back with a cotton bud moistened with enamel thinner.

The results (observe the panels that run port to starboard across the fuselage halfway down the turtle deck, as well as those over the interface with the wing):

79E088AD-7F36-4B90-88F9-D9463B807FF7.jpg

7ACB962A-605B-4D0C-AFF7-197D2DB604C5.jpg

The same effect is visible on the spoilers on the wing, but not the rest of the wing panels:

5D48BD26-8345-4485-9D3E-0DDE587E83A6.jpg

B0D76C70-D922-410B-B825-924F69BB1832.jpg

And my lazy, un-detailed wheel wells:

FCA93E52-DB17-4BC9-924F-6EA5D7E98947.jpg

The piece de resistance was the Langley stripes under the cockpit. These have panel lines all over them; and a monotone wash would look silly. A dark wash would be too much on the white bit of the stripes, and a light coloured wash would look unrealistic on the blue. So, I mixed enamel goop washes of dark blue, dark red, and light grey, and (with much trial and error) worked them into place.

Voila!!

1F4C3E7B-AF50-4A12-9FB3-BE991C949282.jpg

Edited by ClumsyDude

Great work on the multi-colored wash. I like it a lot!

Thanks Brenhen!

Jim

since you are like ME and love TOMCATS.. :piliot:

enjoy....  ( some photos have been  removed by their owners but there are still a lot to look at }

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=132432&pid=1177493&st=0&&do=findComment&comment=1177493

Thanks Maru! I came across that thread while I was researching this project, and spent a lot of time browsing it (missing images notwithstanding). That was in a job that I didn't like a lot, so it was a great escape to go browsing tomcats and looking at weathering patterns and high-vis markings! I had a bit of a trip down memory lane off the back of your link ... ;)