Virginia Marie using Trumpeter P-38 Lightning

dmthamade

Progress today!! i sprayed another coat of gloss last night, and today i did a panel line wash with Flory Dark Dirt I like how consistent it always is with good results always. 

This part makes me nervous, but look forward to it. The wash adds so much to the build. Looks like a real mess.

k5lGqF.jpg

Cleans up nicely.

7IJCZa.jpg

mnCzb0.jpg

VxXWpv.jpg

I'm happy with the rivets and screws showing on this part, something most all Lightning pics show.

6vmukn.jpg

Painted the turbos. they'll get additional work with Tamiya make-up and MiG Pigments.

rqIKku.jpg

26TmkZ.jpg

I'll do a semi flat coat tonight.

Don

Tonight I sprayed the build with semigloss Tamiya. This caused a problem with the turbos, Carl and Harvy. The clear coat took away the different colors, make them mostly black. I'll have to start over, not too big an issue. The blue areas had too much gloss to them after the semi gloss, so I hit them with Acryl flat coat, gave a much flatter sheen. Tomorrow I'm going to redo the turbos, paint the seat, canopy parts, start on weathering. It will not be a clean build, will have some grime added. You are right, Troy, I am almost done, just a little bit away!!

Don

Don, what did you use on the turbo's ? If it was chalk or powders you need to seal them with a product called Fixatif. Made by Krylon so should be easy to get. It is made for artsy people., You spray on chalk or pastel drawings to keep the colors from smudging. And it doesnt change the colors. Can be bought at Michaels, Hobby Lobby art supply stores. Hope this helps.......Harv

That's too bad about losing the effect on the turbos. Your build is looking great though and look forward to seeing the finished build.

Mike 

Funny thing is, i knew this would happen. Done it before. Why i didn't mask it, i don't know....Anyway i masked things off again in the AM, and resprayed. Done.

C6epqu.jpg

0leyrB.jpg

Fpt53S.jpg

You can also see how the sheen on the blue has been reduced.

Don, what did you use on the turbo's ? If it was chalk or powders you need to seal them with a product called Fixatif. Made by Krylon so should be easy to get. It is made for artsy people., You spray on chalk or pastel drawings to keep the colors from smudging. And it doesnt change the colors. Can be bought at Michaels, Hobby Lobby art supply stores. Hope this helps.......Harv

I used paint to do the turbos, Harv. Tamiya colors all. Fixatif is something to look for, would take the worry about handling parts away. is it spray can or can you get it to airbrush? I did this drop tank with MiG pigments,

iz0Yp2.jpg

QiFKM7.jpg

The Fixatif would come in handy to keep the pigments in place. I'll be doing more work on the turbos with Tamiya make-up and MiG pigments, though i'm thinking of airbrushing on the exhaust staining. This idea is risky, kind of a one chance/can't go back move....

Don

Mine is rattle can. Don't know if you can get it in a bottle. On mine, I air brushed the exhaust staining. Tried powders but didn't like the way they came out . Yours looks great ! :popcorn: .......Harv

Mine is rattle can. Don't know if you can get it in a bottle. On mine, I air brushed the exhaust staining. Tried powders but didn't like the way they came out . Yours looks great ! :popcorn: .......Harv

Powders do have their place, but i have a feeling the exhaust staining on the P-38 doesn't lend itself to powders or make-up. More detail work on the turbos will be ok for the powders and make-up. Colors i've chosen are Tamiya colors, XF-49 Khaki, XF-52 Flat Earth, XF-55 Deck Tan, no flat black in sight.There's a couple of art supply stores near, will take a drive this week to see about the Fixatif. Thanks, harv!!!

Don

Spent some time on the turbos and exhaust. Instead of the usual black sooty exhaust, P-38s tended to have tan/light tan/grey exhaust staining. I read this was due to the lean mix they operated on. I've seen pics and builds where the stain was small, large enough to hit the vertical and everything in between. I went with a smaller stain as the rest of the build, although i was going to make fairly grimy, i decided to use restraint.

o6AcvL.jpg

XEX8E9.jpg

wzbcmA.jpg

The stain is darker than what shows in pics. Calling it a night, work tomorrow.

Don

Edited by dmthamade