Copper State Models 1/32 Nieuport N. 17

Kagemusha

rhwinter, I liked your post because you want some of the same things I do, but I really can't like the fact that SH doesn't plan to do the HB C.I... unless someone else takes it as a good opening to build their own version? (hint, hint, to anyone with the desire and resources to do so).

Tnarg

I can't seem to get too worked up about this kit, nor even the Hobbycraft kit that I have for that matter. If there were more interesting (to me) schemes available, I'd be a bit more passionate, but "as is", not too much. If they'd done an 11 instead, that'd be a whole other ball game.

The 17 suffers a bit from the fact that most of the planes were doped aluminum. However, there are so many fascinating color schemes out there on top of that bright surface, mostly because they allow Small Air Force insignia or great fuselage or rudder art... not nose art, since that was usually left shiny metal.

On most aircraft, you don't get to see the Don Republic insignia, a snake covering the whole fuselage, devils and witches, mermaids, horses, owls, a Russian hero riding on a bird... and it keeps going on and on. Betcha can't make just one.

Tnarg

This is a REALLY interesting development.

Copper State seems to be giving us the full-on WNW treatment to subject matter WNW doesn't want to deal with.

Look at the interior!  This is not your typical garden variety Roden offering...

If Copper State can keep quality of fit and finish high and keep delivering kits of this type, they'll sell a lot of kits.  Especially if they wisely focus on all the popular themes WNW doesn't apparently want to touch.

Will be following this company with interest.

Lots of crazy Russian, Baltic and other small air force subjects exist for the 17. Check out the Russian Aviation Colors books, which are now 3/4 translated into English (volumes 1 to 3 out of 4). There are enough weird and fascinating profiles in that set and the Flying Machines Press book on The Imperial Russian Air Service to create five or ten decal sheets in 1/32, and that doesn't even need to include those red stars for someone with a Cold War phobia of those pesky things.

The French had some interesting decoration too, but you'd need to go to a Nieuport 11 to put the "boxing bunny rabbits" insignia worn by a Bulgarian machine. You actually can't make up stuff as strange as what really happened, but it is fun to try.

Tnarg

edit: or was it Romanian bunny rabbits? can't recall right now, both look pretty interesting.

Edited by Tnarg

edit: or was it Romanian bunny rabbits? can't recall right now, both look pretty interesting.

Indeed, it was a Romanian "Bebe" that featured the boxing bunnies. The Romanians also used the 17 - Craiu, the highest-scoring WW1 ace died in a N.17 accident.

Radu

Edited by Radub

If there were more interesting (to me) schemes available, I'd be a bit more passionate, but "as is", not too much. If they'd done an 11 instead, that'd be a whole other ball game.

Same go's for most of the WNW releases, and nobody complains (except me) :innocent:  :innocent: , so this time it will also sell more then enough.

This is a REALLY interesting development.

Copper State seems to be giving us the full-on WNW treatment to subject matter WNW doesn't want to deal with.

Look at the interior!  This is not your typical garden variety Roden offering...

If Copper State can keep quality of fit and finish high and keep delivering kits of this type, they'll sell a lot of kits.  Especially if they wisely focus on all the popular themes WNW doesn't apparently want to touch.

Will be following this company with interest.

Totally agree on this. If they get their business right on the road regarding W.W.1 subjects they could be a real challenge for WNW. On the other hand, that count's for every manufacturer. 

• 2 months later...