HK B-17 Accuracy issues?

Guest Nigelr32

Another thing I've noticed now that I finally have the kit is there's a "step up" on the floor of the radio room (right in front of the door to the bomb bay across the entire compartment) that shouldn't be there and the door itself looks too short.

I suppose it's there to accomadate the wing support crossbeam and isn't gonna be very visible in the end. Still it's a fairly big error for those who plan on going detail happy on the interior.

Edited by Chango

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for these additions guys. I guess this list will slowly grow.

I am becoming a little worried about the whole mid section of the fuselage.. Either the photos are playing tricks on me or I'm just getting old? It looks too "fat", or is it my imagination?

I've started a very quick build of a Revell 1/72 B-17 G, of which I will put pics up in the non LSP section. I would like to use this kit for two main points really. Just how much can be seen through the various doors and windows, and I would like to start a debate on correct interior colours for all walls, floors, seating and ancilliaries.

I do not want to fall into the trap of using restored birds for reference, only to find they got their colours wrong!!

The pics will be loaded later, then you can all cut and paste them and add your comments.

Here's another tidbit I read from the B-17G E&R manual regarding coloration of metal and wood surfaces in crew compartments. It reads that all metal surfaces in the navigator's bombardiers, pilot's and radio compartments shall be coated with one coat of primer followed by one coat of bronze green. Now for the twist: Those compartments have both metal and plywood flooring. The plywood flooring in those compartments does not get painted, nor do plywood doors or plywood tables. All other parts of the fuselage remain unpainted or painted with clear varnish. That means the sidewalls of the fuselage in crew compartments, the waist gunners compartment and the tail are all unpainted aluminum (or clear varnished).

The Squadron Signal publication, B-17 Flying Fortress In Action by David Doyle seems to add weight to the possibility that the interior of the B-17 was not painted and was left in natural aluminum. On pages 31 and 76 are several1940s-era color photos of the aft interior of a B-17. The natural metal finish can clearly be seen in these photos. Can't tell for sure if there's clear varnish. Possibly in the one on p. 67.
In addition to the three interior shots, there are numerous exterior shots in color, with crew members and mechanics in the foreground. Lots of potential there for incorporation in dioramas. An excellent photo reference.

These are the only 1940s interior shots I've ever seen in color, which begs the question: Are there others out there somewhere in some forgotten archive just waiting to be discovered?

Jerry Peterson

You are correct in that the structure/skin of the interior of the B-17 was not painted. If you were to look up into an open bomb bay you'd see natural metal. Likewise with the fuselage from the radio room aft bulkhead to the tail compartment. I believe the spars through the fuselage were painted but I need to read the E&R manual to see for sure.

IIRC, the 1/48th Monogram kit called for unpainted interior walls. This is great stuff--just got my B-17 last night and it's just about too cool not to start working on it.

Ahh, the halcyon days of detailed painting instructions, instead of a bunch of arrows with letters for painting.

Not sure I'll go nuts with aftermarket. Well, maybe a little...

:wicked:

Tim W.

We have part of the rear fuselage of a B17 on display at the museum. it was in natural metal but the

bulkheads and stringers are painted dark green, not bronze green. The skin itself is natural metal.

Nothing has been restored and is as it left the factory.

Funny, at first the B17 is greeted with hurray hurray and now it is being picked clean.

May I suggest to check resources before declaring "something is not right".

We want facts not hunches. :hmmm:

Cees

We have part of the rear fuselage of a B17 on display at the museum. it was in natural metal but the

bulkheads and stringers are painted dark green, not bronze green. The skin itself is natural metal.

Nothing has been restored and is as it left the factory.

Funny, at first the B17 is greeted with hurray hurray and now it is being picked clean.

Cees

I'll go on the record as saying I'm quite happy with mine.

Few kits are ever "perfect." To each his own, I suppose!

Tim W.

Guest Nigelr32

Cees

May I suggest you read carefully the first post in this topic, my thread. I have asked for any suggestions on where there are accuracy issues with the kit, up to now there have been some very constructive comments on some minor issues, hardly "picking it clean".

The biggest issue for the modeller raised up to now relates to the width of the fuselage. That was my suggestion, or an opinion I put out there.

I actually think this thread has shown this kit to be very good indeed.

Edited by Nigelr32

only examined the kit briefly but:

no hot air / de-icing tube in nose

ball turret ammo cans incorrectly positioned

panel under the bombardier's seat / over the chin turret was actually clear perspex & this isn't shown in the kit