Aurora 1/72 Piper Aztec

Cap'n Wannabe

Some years ago, a gentleman wandered into my work carrying a number of old vellum drawings under his arm.  He wanted to scan them on our large format printer, and I put my hand up for the job.  Turns out they were real gems of drawings - there were 9 original drawings of TAA liveries for different aircraft....3 x DC-3's, a Cessna 182, a Cessna 180 belonging to the Bureau or Mineral Resources, a DeHavilland Drover, a DC-6, a Bell 47J2, and the subject of this project, a Piper Aztec.  So naturally I made copies for me  :)

ELWzCA9.png

The Aurora kit has painting guides engraved into the plastic, so the first thing to do was to fill them in.  They're not quite finished yet, but getting there..

OsTsR8T.jpg?1

I also painted the cockpit/cabin in what I think are appropriate colours.  Meh, they'll do....although I'm going to paint the floor a shade or two darker, I think.

j3U2Lbj.jpg

Done a little more work on the Aztec today..

Firstly, I repainted the cockpit floor a darker blue, and drybrushed a bit of light gull grey over the top to give a little contrast.

XojZLO1.jpg?1

Next, I painted the interior colours - Gunze off white and light gull grey

ImFfdJS.jpg?1

Finally, the instrument panel in Tamiya semi-gloss black and drybrused Gunze off white.

LBF0JWT.jpg?1

Now I need to deaden the gloss on the seats, cockpit floor, and interior.  The thing is, I'm always having trouble with the Gunze clear coats - they always make the colours run.   Normally I thin them with laquer thinners....should I be spraying them neat?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm up against...

i1FRkF1.jpg

tHVcZyy.jpg

And here you can see the sink marks a bit better....I've started sanding the RH side windows.  The LH side is done for now - I sanded the marks off the inside, then separated the windows into individual pieces.  This will allow me to position them proud of the fuselage, then sand them flush.

VUMdUH0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the struts in the cockpit, the Aztec is a tubular steel fuselage with a skin wrapped around it to make is aerodynamical... damned things, I hate working on them. But there are two visible struts inside the windscreen. Picture off the web, copyright the photographers, the tubes would often have a leather padding wrapped around them to protect the pilots in a crash.

DSC6609.jpg

aztec_cockpit-squashed.jpg

Edited by TonyT