B-25J Mitchell

Dukie99

Here is my entry to the Iron Rain GB: HKM B-25J Mitchell Ave Maria. I know it is another B-25, but this one has been in the stash for 2 years, I have slowly collected AM and now I feel the motivation to build her flowing. This is the first time I attempt such an ambitious project and my first HKM kit. With the Lancaster coming soon and getting me all excited, I want to see if I can handle a big kit and if I do a reasonable and enjoyable job, then the Lancaster will be next on the bench (hopefully this Summer).

Box shots, AM and reference material (sorry for the crappy pics)

i-dWT2R4g-L.jpg

i-GPs6vMw-L.jpg

i-LzJ5PWv-L.jpg

Update soon.

Cheers,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update. I have to admit that this kit is quite overwhelming, the size the number of sub assemblies and all that pe I have inflicted on myself. So far I am started on several sub-assemblies but progress is slow. I have built the wings, flaps, tail and have yet to make a start on the fuselage and cockpit. Not entirely convinced by the Profimodeller PE. Just to give you an example, the exterior set gives you lots of pe to dress the wheel wells, but most of it cannot be seen once the landing gear is in place and the way the kit is constructed, you need to glue the landing gear and then install the engine/landing gear nacelle which requires some twisting around the landing gear before clicking into the wing which would then rip off all the carefully glued pe. If there is a way, I have not found it and I have glued only a couple of pieces of the pe you can actually see and left the rest off. Aside from that the fit of the kit for the wing construction is amazing. Here are some pictures

The instructions for the pe

i-Rn33qvN-L.jpg

The g-factor leg glued with epoxy and dressed with the kits plastic. It the leg protruding from the main gear which would rip off most of the pe when twisting the engine nacelle to fit in the wing.

i-sJ9DfDB-L.jpg

A shot of one of the only two pieces of pe in the set which you can clearly see from the outside.

i-BQRbRmZ-L.jpg

Otherwise some nice details to be found in the Profimodeller set

i-znnsNTh-L.jpg

Hopefully more progress soon.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. Finally one subassembly which is finished and ready to install in the fuselage: tail gunner position. OOB except for the HGW seatbelt (to be subsequently attached on the sides of the fuselage.

i-sN25mkW-L.jpg

i-B92Qg4P-L.jpg

i-ShtWrfb-L.jpg

Made some progress on the gun turret, PE from Profimodeller.

i-vWG44hp-L.jpg

And finally the engines, OOB

i-ZRCnCW9-L.jpg

i-KpWp4DX-L.jpg

So far it is an enjoyable build, very good engineering and fit.

Cheers,

David

Looking great David!

Here is another photo of her that might help you with the overall finish:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-air-force/B25J-AVE-MARIA.html

In addition to overall paint chipping/weathering, it kinda looks like the insignia (which looks kinda bleached-out) on the wing and the cowling ring might be the same color, as well as the ailerons appearing a shade lighter then the main wing.

Hth,

Tom

Looking great David!

Here is another photo of her that might help you with the overall finish:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-air-force/B25J-AVE-MARIA.html

In addition to overall paint chipping/weathering, it kinda looks like the insignia (which looks kinda bleached-out) on the wing and the cowling ring might be the same color, as well as the ailerons appearing a shade lighter then the main wing.

Hth,

Tom

Thank you Tom. I had seen this picture before, very useful. That bleached star and bar gives me nightmare, way beyond my limited weathering skills. I have not decided whether I will give it a try or just go with regular color. I will use Maketar masks for the insignia and not the kit decals.

Cheers,

David

Really nice work David, you make it look easy.

Cheers

Martin

Thank you Martin. I make it look easy because I take the easy route, nothing like the wealth of details you're adding to your He-111:)

Thank you Tom. I had seen this picture before, very useful. That bleached star and bar gives me nightmare, way beyond my limited weathering skills. I have not decided whether I will give it a try or just go with regular color. I will use Maketar masks for the insignia and not the kit decals.

Cheers,

David

In any case, I would perhaps mix a drop or two in a small amount of your OD paint for the ailerons.

As for the insignia, I would test an acrylic white mixed with a flat clear acrylic varnish (of the same paint mfr.), and see if I could make a "wash" or clear/milky color that might lighten up the typical insignia blue.

I have had fun experimenting with painting decals with acrylics, as they do not damage them.

Edited by Gigant