Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Hello all!

First, thank you all for your interest in this conversion!

Very much appreciated!

So after cutting out the cockpit opening I realized that there isn't enough height above the existing front wheel bay

to fit the cockpit. To create a bit more space, I removed the top of the bay including those freshly added details...

Still tight  so I am thinking of reducing the kit cockpit so it will fit. We'll see eventually, as this is something one finds out

by trial and error...

With all those guns removed, I though that a  pilot might feel a bit defenseless in a hostile environment. So I added one gun on the

lower left side of the fuselage. This is totally my own idea but I thinks its going to look cool!

ZQwOE0j.jpg

5LYU81t.jpg

The aluminium tube sanded.

3oVTwsB.jpg

Pilots being precious also, I decided to add an ejector seat. As is with the gun, this is not shown in drawings, but it does make sense.

The first prototype was fitted with one (maybe not functional?). Also, with the cockpit moved forward, there is a lot more fuselage to get clear of when bailing out!

The simplest solution was to use an existing seat, so I figured the Heinkel would be selected. I just happened to have one in the Revell 162 kit so I 

took my razor saw and just hacked it off the bulkhead!

You know what? Perfect fit in the Hasegawa tub!

kPp4ycH.jpg

One final thing. I will use the kit canopy except the windscreen that is much too short.

I enlarged the side view to 1/32 (by pencil) and using this as a guide I trimmed the lower and back edge of the

canopy to get the correct geometry. The back portion will get a similar treatment...

AC0LQ4D.jpg

Thank you again!

Alain

Hello and thank you for you comments!

It is creative modeling for sure as there is no "real" Me 262 built as this one I am making.

However, in the end, the model has to look as convincing as any other late war Luftwaffe aircraft model.

So the finish will be very important in this project.  I have thought quite a bit about the painting and markings.

All the undersides will be unpainted with the roughly applied and sanded gray primer over bare aluminium finish.

The top (as a recon machine) will be painted RLM 76 in its normal tint, and green variation on some parts. This will be a light

coat showing the dark primer areas underneath.

I will have to make some test of this that I will share with you for sure!

But these last few days I turned my atention to the very bare main undercarriage bays.

Of course it is not the cockpit that will be visible there, but 2 large fuel tanks. There is still a lot to add in this

area and this is just the start...

Inside of the fuselage:

ackjKtL.jpg

Structures added to the wing bottom. The edges of the openings have been thinned down.

3eyQDmo.jpg

Regards,

Alain

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

Been a while but I finally had time to advance on the 262...

I have removed the kit cockpit floor and glued it directly on a new styrene front wheel well.

The cockpit opening on the fuselage has been enlarged front and back. The 2 roughly rectangular panels on each side are what is

left of the original kit gun cover. I leave them off now for better access to the interior.

The guns openings have been sanded flush.

I have gathered 3 Bf 109 instrument panels that will donate bits to make a new one.

There has been a bit of detailing done on the kit tub, essentially scraping off some poor details and adding the

oxygen system with wire and styrene bits.

v3XEWwf.jpg

Here is the wheel well from up close. On the right is the area where the wheel rotates and lies flat after retraction.

The rivets were done with a Rosie the Riveter tool. The sides of the front part of the wheel well to be added eventually...

z5c8vmm.jpg

Next I finally finished the main structural details inside the fuselage, and painted the area with Tamiya silver spray paint.

Honestly not done with the greatest care but next to nothing will be seen anyway.

hjTfQ4Q.jpg

One of the 2 fuel cells in place, that hides almost all the interior.

iofMVvj.jpg

I've also started to engrave panel lines, choosing first the horizontal tailplanes as they can be done independently from

the rest of the kit.

wR5TNoJ.jpg

Bye for now and thanks for watching!

I plan more progress on the tailplanes next.

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois