1/32 Italeri F-86 Sabre

This is the reason I joined this site. I am awed by people who can take a bunch of plastic and assorted other bits and make something spectacular. I've been "modeling" since I was very young, but still only manage to make a good kit, bad. I don't know how you do it, but I guess so got "it" and some don't. Very well done.

Came out well in the end. I have only used Aires products once, and doubt I will ever again. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Aires - sometimes they hit one out of the ballpark, and sometimes they drop the ball so spectacularly it boggles the mind. Kinda like Trumpeter  :doh:  However, sometimes they are the only game in town so I still roll the dice with them.

Despite all your travails, she turned out lovely, which is the main thing.

Many thanks!

Nice work, gotta love the Sabre. I would love if Tamiya did their magic in 32 scale with the Sabre.

I'm not holding my breath for Tamiya or a re-tool from Hasegawa. I remember reading Paul Fisher's blog on Korean-era jets and I think he's right - the market just isn't there, they get lost between WWII and Vietnam subjects.

Mark

Holy **** on a cracker, Batman! I am a raging moron  :BANGHEAD2:

Just scrolling through the thread I happen to glance at my photos and - there it is, staring at me, proof of my moron status:

I misplaced the stars-n-bars decals on both speedbrakes.

Please comment on the appropriate punishment - anything ranging from Catholic school nun ruler-smack-to-the-wrist to hari-kari.

Mark

Awesome Saber Mark :thumbsup:

The NA F-86E/F Saber is IMO one of the most beautiful designs to ever grace the heavens.

Barry

Thanks Barry!

Mark

Terrific build of a really poor kit in almost every category. Thumbs up on working through all the short comings. Completely agree a Tamiya Sabre woukd be great but the chances are really slim. Your NMF finish is spot on.

Peter

Thanks Peter! My multi-shade NMF in the past have all failed at the clearcoat stage because I didn't vary the Al contrast enough. Learned my lessons for this one  :yahoo:

Fantastic job Mark, it looks purfect! I think that these are my favorite markings on a Sabre. Did you use the yellow decals for the markings or paint them?

Dave

Thanks Dave! I used the decals. Like I said earlier, they were great. Only part of the kit I can recommend.

Wow, hotel Sabre! Awesome work indeed

:bow:

Shows that "hotel-life" can be rewarding, very nice build, but indeed.....how about it HB ???

I'd even settle for Trumpeter, as long as the A team did it.

It looks great, maybe some fit issues, using a ton of AM makes it even harder, but...you turned out a damn nice plane! I am very impressed with the finished product! Beautiful! 

I have a soft spot for F-86's because the Monogram 1/48 F-86 was the very first airplane kit I ever built, when I was 7. So I think when I build mine, I am going to skip all the AM other than the Eduard cockpit set and a pilot...then build it flying with gear up.

My first model was a 1/72 F-101 Voodoo. Same soft spot but no options in 1/32. Someday I might scratch-build one. That will guarantee a 1/32 release!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Sweet sabre Mark.

Thanks!

How good is the Hassegawa one in comparison?

I'm going off a semi-fuzzy memory here, I built the Hasegawa kit many years ago. As I remember the Hase is an F-86F-40 so it does not have the 6+3 wing, rather the wide-chord slatted wing with the longer span. I remember seeing a few articles about how the convert the wing, both the right way and the quick and dirty way. The Hase kit is raised panel lines like all their kits of that era but pretty good surface detail otherwise. Basic cockpit, WW and speedbrake cavities. Probably would need the same AM treatment to bring it up to a good standard. I'm sure there are lots of other issues with the Hasegawa kit but that's all I can remember. Just like most of Hasegawa's early kits (of all scales) a really good modern kit is necessary.

This is the reason I joined this site. I am awed by people who can take a bunch of plastic and assorted other bits and make something spectacular. I've been "modeling" since I was very young, but still only manage to make a good kit, bad. I don't know how you do it, but I guess so got "it" and some don't. Very well done.

Thanks (!!!) but I sure don't belong in the category of the guys with "it"! I see builds that make my jaw drop. I just build for fun  :)

Guest Maxim

Your Punishment is: Build another if you can find one. I can't even find the Kinetic or Italeri version in Australia or on Ebay !