MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Time for an up date!

Since the last post I have been building all the basic detail on the bottom half of the bomb bay.....this was done by using scrap plastic and my favorite yogurt pots!default_wink.png... What I am trying to do is to get the whole bay ready for the basic interior colour spray before adding more detail.

This means that the top half has to be detailed next before the spraying starts!

Here is where I am at at the moment...........

qt%20001_zpsawywt2km.jpg

overall shot

re%20003_zps9nkqc9zl.jpg

looking across the catwalk towards the front bulkhead.

re%20004_zpsvixy4ejb.jpg

looking towards the rear bulkhead

re%20007_zpsvn6masuc.jpg

re%20006_zpsfur5fvnm.jpg

re%20008_zpsceejwkyx.jpg

looking up through the bomb bay doors aperture

re%20009_zpsbplanjjn.jpg

re%20012_zpsr8tde3cb.jpg

top half placed on....and is screaming out to have some detail!

re%20011_zpsnzstgzxe.jpg

qt%20006_zpsmsjlolxr.jpg

So next up is to get the top half's basic detailing done before spraying the aluminum coat and then I can get down to the constructing of the bomb racks /wiring /electric motors /piping etc etc

One other thing I did do was to place another skin of yogurt pots over the whole construction to smooth things out a bit before the final Alu tape is added...Perdu....will be pleased about this!default_wink.png

Till the next time....cheersdefault_smile.png

Fozzy

I know this area quite well with my dealings on the HK kit and I must say you've certainly done it justice! I only hope mine looks half that good when I'm done with it! Keep up the great work.

Craig

P.S. What is your plan for the rib detail on the bomb bay walls?

Edited by brahman104

I know this area quite well with my dealings on the HK kit and I must say you've certainly done it justice! I only hope mine looks half that good when I'm done with it! Keep up the great work.

Craig

P.S. What is your plan for the rib detail on the bomb bay walls?

Hi Craig

I am in the process of detail the bomb bay walls at the moment...and looking at my reference photos its not as easy as one thinks!...my "plan" you ask ..is to painstakingly copy what I see in the ref photos using scrap plastic....its going to take time but I think worth it in the end as I have seen the injection molds for some B17 kits and it really does look like a trellis fence!..(especially the HK kit)...see below...

detail-bombbay1_zpspqpsgmix.jpg

Please no dis respect to this model makers photo....its just my opinion

The fact remains that it should look like this.......

IMG_6172_EGSU_JUL2011_G12_zpscxftkuat.jp

Which of course is giving me no end of headaches!!....but I am enjoying the challenge!

I do hope that this answers your question Craig!  ;)

Fozzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all fellow modellers!

Here is my next update.........................

My last post saw me attempting to put some of the detail on the bottom half of the bomb bay and this post will show my attempts of starting the detail on the top half. I have to say that it took an awfully long time to cut each rib out of yogurt pot  plasticdefault_ohmy.png...and even longer to glue them in position!default_sad.png

As you can see from the photos I have started to place some of the control cables/ electrical wiring/pipes etc....looking at photos of the real bomb bay I can see that there is still more wiring to do!

Here is what it looks like so far.....................

qt%20003_zpsaul8yarm.jpg

qt%20006_zpsksviqm6g.jpg

qt%20011_zpsjuqzf7s4.jpg

qt%20012_zpstgbtjd2o.jpg

qt%20010_zps13pyxxo3.jpg

....and just to get more of the feel for the project....if not a wee bit of colour!!!.......here is a shot of looking forward through the door way into the cockpit...............

qt%20013_zps8ynazbcw.jpg

So next up will be a tad more detail followed by the base coat of aluminum.

Till then...thanks for looking in!default_smile.png

Fozzy