Spitfire and V1

TimHepplestone

Everything looks too clear to believe.  Besides...  Formation flying is hard enough.  Add the bomb factor and....

Indeed. From what I have read, a Spit could only get into that position at the bottom of a dive, a V1 was too fast in level flight. So the problem is the second 'plane in formation

Also... I don't think that is how it was done. ISTR that to tip the V1 you put your wingtip above it's wing. Then the bomb's tip is drawn up to yours by aerodynamic effects tipping it off course. 

I'll go and google

Richard

Some interesting reading about the Spit v V1 in the Aircraft of the Aces series - "Griffon Spitfire Aces".

Apparently the XIV didn't have a problem with speed and one of the combat reports quotes "320 mph".

What was the problem was being close enough to blow them up but not too close to take yourself out in the process.

At least one case of the bomb exploding during the tipping manoevre and killing the pilot.

Incredible heroic acts too.

The Free French pilot Flt Lt Jean-Marie Maridor of 91 Sqdn who had intercepted a V1 but it did not crash after being hit but glided towards Benenden School in Kent.

Seeing it heading for the school he closed to point blank range and blew it up killing himself in the process.

I seem to remember a piece on TV about it and that the school still remembers his sacrifice to this day.

It did happen though, even if that is a fake image. 

Yes, it did happen. My understanding is it didn't happen like that, and with a Spit was very difficult. The Tempest or a Meteor were the tool for the job