Quickbuild - 2x WNW Junkers D.Is "1919". July 8 - cloudy with a chance of meatballs

seiran01

And we're back! Visiting family has gone back to NZ and I can get to my modeling desk again.

Here's the status now: airframes assembled, engines up next. The BMW-engined one will have the Gaspatch spiked Palmer wheels and tires that you see dry-fitted. You need to thin down the axles a bit to fit these wheels, and I can't wait to see how the hubs look once painted.

z29lEWs.jpg

Primary painting completed on "the other one" today, but from here on out it's straying from historically accurate. Hoping to paint the wingless one tomorrow.  Fuselage is Mr Color Japanese Cowling Color, green is the WNW-recommended tamiya XF-71, mauve is Drooling Bulldog's Mauve acrylic lacquer, and the off white on bottom wings is a mix of drooling bulldog white and a bit of raw umber.  It's been gloss-coated in Mr. Paint's gloss clear. 

EnelYx8.jpg

Thanks guys!

The mauve is Drooling Bulldog, very close to the mix of three Tamiya paints WNW calls out for the color. Black is Mr Color's Japanese cowling color, green is Tamiya xf71, underside off white is drooling bulldog white with a drop of DB raw umber mixed in.

I like Drooling Bulldog paints as much as MRP but many of their colors are much darker than every known source. Some though, like the mauve, are very usable without mixing shades

The edelweiss decal is from Pheon's most recent Pfalz D.IIIa sheet, both that and the cross were hit hard and repeatedly with a hair dryer to get them settling down into the corrugations. I hit it with the hair dryer and alternate using a small makeup brush with soft thick bristles and a cotton swab soaked in microsol to help get things settling down with no air bubbles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that the Camel is finished, I'm back on the second Junkers D.I. Went a little nuts today and superdetailed the BMW engine using wire and Taurus spark plugs.  This aircraft falls into Aviattic's Luftkrieg 1919 storyline and is based off of a zeppelin aircraft carrier. The BMW engine allowed for better high altitude performance than the more common Mercedes engines and was fitted with the generator to power the pilot's heated flightsuit. 

Fuselage painting was done on Friday; it's two shades of Mr Paint (white aluminum and duraluminun, IIRC), sprayed straight onto the plastic. Should have primed first as thee paints aren't adhering well to the bare plastic unlike their non-metallic counterparts. Rudder is MRP Richthofen Red, cowl is Mr Color Japanese cowling color. 

uqacDrMh.jpg

V7IVFlkh.jpg

CqxxyKTh.jpg

bZ86Z5jh.jpg

lZD6B9Jh.jpg

owm1mhih.jpg