Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-211, No update, just responding to q's

geedubelyer

Nurse, nurse, hand me those paddles! There's still life in this thread. Gotta try to revive it.........clear!........fzzzt....bang!!

I feel a pulse. Quick nurse, pass the meds. It's alive.

Hi folk.

After finishing the recent Spitfire build I promised myself that I'd get back to this big Turkey. With a little gentle nudging from a few fellow members it was time to pick up where I left off. But, where was that? :hmmm:

I confess it took me a while to remember where I'd got to. The reason this build stalled was the auxiliary air bypass vents on top of the intakes. There is nothing in the Tamiya kit to represent these so scratch building them is a must.

When Chris Wilson released a set of these for the Trumpeter kits I dabbled with the idea of pirating a set and attempting to convert them. Unfortunately I have already done alot of work on the gear bays so the resin parts would have had to fit around those. In the end I  was left with little choice other than to A, use intake covers  :innocent:  or B, scratch build these bypass door parts.

Back at the dawn of time I had in fact cut one part in order to assess the depth I needed. Using that piece I went ahead and built up the boxes.

tn_Tomcat_bypass_vents_002.jpg

These look quite rough (now there's an understatement) but form a basis for extra detail. What I had to contend with was the modeified gear well and the boxes for the vents alongside the forward fuselage that I'd built earlier. Much dry fitting followed. I've lost count of the number of times I've fitted then removed the upper fuselage cover. The task is made more difficult because the intakes are n't glued in place yet either.

Anyhoo. these boxes fit reasonably well though definitely not as well as the Zactomodels stuff would.

I used foil to add rivet details to the faces and strengthening ribs.

tn_Tomcat_bypass_vents_003.jpg

Still alot of work to do but at least it's a start. Here's a peek at where this sits in the mainframe.

tn_Tomcat_bypass_vents_010.jpg

As you can see, the new construction sits adjacent to the extended wheel well. I suspect that the adjoining wall is probably the same part on the full sized bird.

More soon.

On 7/5/2015 at 9:11 PM, timvkampen said:

I have a tip: get a case of beers, get out that Top Gun movie and watch it and maybe the inspiration comes back!!

Either way: it is a great build, Maverick!

Thanks Goose Tim.

Edited by geedubelyer
Correcting image links

It is clear this is a Master at Work, but it does beg the question - leaving Trumpeter's nice rendition aside - whether Tamiya shouldn't take up this jet again and issue a new version. With all the progress in CAD techniques etc., it would be a killer kit if Tamiya gives it its undivided attention (like with the Mosquito and the Corsair)

It is clear this is a Master at Work, but it does beg the question - leaving Trumpeter's nice rendition aside - whether Tamiya shouldn't take up this jet again and issue a new version. With all the progress in CAD techniques etc., it would be a killer kit if Tamiya gives it its undivided attention (like with the Mosquito and the Corsair)

If they did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat ...

Guest Peterpools

Great to see the Big Cat back on the bench and under way

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Aawwwwww, yeeeaaaahhhh, it's back! Great work too on the first post in a long time.

Terrific job on the bypass vents, I love what you've done with the foil.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks man. Glad you like it so far. I'm with you on the new tool Tamiya version. If they ever felt it worthwhile to redo this big 'Cat to the same standard as their modern kits I'd be up for that.

whether Tamiya shouldn't take up this jet again and issue a new version. With all the progress in CAD techniques etc., it would be a killer kit if Tamiya gives it its undivided attention (like with the Mosquito and the Corsair)

Absolutely Tim. The Tomcat must be one of, if not the the most popular of modern jets. If ever there was a candidate for a re-work this has to be it. Apparently the Trumpeter offerings buid up nicely but for me, the Tamiya has the edge on overall look.

There you go see I knew you could work it out!Great job buddy!

Cheers

Fred

Hey Fred, good to see you buddy. How goes it? I don't think I've left a comment on your Prowler thread yet but I'll be sure to remedy that ASAP. Keep up your stellar work on that and your F-18!

Hi Rainer, thanks for tagging along. I hope you enjoy the continuing saga.

Always no Resin set for this problem !

Hi Mr Smith, the Tamiya Tomcat is quite overlooked for aftermarket resin. I wondered if the superb resin from Zactomodels might be adapted for the Tomcat but in this case I've done so much work to these intakes they are no longer box stock.

Hello Peter, Jarda, Mike, Mark and Jake, thanks so much you guys. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying this project. I hope you'll stick around a while longer and we'll see it through to the end together.

I've been away at work for a few days but now I've got a long weekend so I hope to update this thread soon.

Cheers.

Here are a couple of snaps of today's progress.

First up, plan B.......

tn_Tomcat_bypass_vents_011.jpg

I did n't even know these existed until I stumbled across them in Hannants. If it all looks horrible after I've finished I'll just bung these in the gap.

Nextly, I added some more details then splashed some primer on the parts.

tn-bypass-vents-002-6.jpg

I began with the starboard side for the pipes and wiring as it appears marginally simpler.

tn_Tomcat_bypass_vents_005.jpg

If I get a chance, I'll have a go at the port side tomorrow. (I like this being off work thing....)

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
Updating image links