Well, I thought since Setal was sending me a 2nd Lycoming 6 cylinder engine, I thought it might be interesting to start there instead of the normal cockpit...............and ironically enough page 1 of the instructions starts off with the Lycoming engine. Neat!
This thing is a REAL JEWEL. As the man in black said, (Westley not johnny) "Ive never seen its equal". Some of the parts are SO small, but yet have still been molded SO well, its really astounding.
First thing was to cut the engine block, oil pan w/intake distributor off their casting blocks.
This is a normal hazard of any resin work, and this kit is no different. You really do need to be careful here though, as the pan and block mating surfaces have to be EXACTLY flush to meet and sit right once together.
The molding on both parts is quite astounding:
Here is the starter wheel with the prop hub. As you can see, its QUITE a bit smaller than my thumbnail, but still, every single tooth is faithfully and crisply represented:
After I started assembling the engine, I really started getting the hankering back to do some more brass work. With the success of my last brass project (A6M2-N beaching trolley) I really had the utmost confidence I could make a really neat Lycoming engine stand to support and show off the 2nd "blinged out" Lycoming AEIO-580 6 cylinder engine.
I started off by buying the appropriate sized square brass tubing, and started in on my normal way; old school, with a block of wood, some thumbtacks, a drafting triangle, and an miniature architects square.
First up, was the upper frame section which is basically just a rectangle with a smaller rectangle seated on the top of it sideways:
After getting the first upright frame section completed, and smoothed out, I tacked it to the 2x4, and made sure it was 90deg before soldering the lower frame forks in place, and adding the first of 6 45 deg tube sections: