Matchbox Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 (PK502)

Allok

Calling the Experts.

I have several of these kits and accept for the "Coke bottle" canopy, they look pretty good. With the addition of some belts and opening up all the flaps and slats, I think they should turn out ok.

Is there anthing I should be aware of?

I also want to convert one to the "B" version.

Keith Allott.

I'm led to believe the shape is far better than the Hasegawa kits - but I haven't researched enough to un derstand the details yet...

I have been tempted to get hold of one to cross kit with the Hasegawa kit - Have a signed print of Gallands a/c (signed by Galland!) and I'd love to have a model on display with it...

Iain

Hi

I've got a few of these, one of which I'm toying with at the moment.

It compares well to up-scaled drawings from the Model Art book and (I think) looks much more the part.

I suppose the most obvious 'issue' is the rendering of panel lines and access hatches etc. They are deep and quite wide, after a sanding they look a lot better (sharpens the edges of them up if you see what I mean) and after a coat or two of primer and paint they may be OK.

Cockpit detail is a bit 'blobby' - I'm trying to put a Cutting Edge one in mine (will need a little fiddling). Canopy (particularly central part) is appalling - too thick and obvious flow lines on mine.

Slots, louvres etc need opening up - exhausts are ridiculously narrow about a third of what they should be! I have Moskit ones, but will need work to open up the cowl to accommodate them.

Main wheels will be replaced with Aires 109F set - tailwheel not too bad looking.

Main u/c leg attachment to fuselage looks terribly weak - though (ironically) probably most realistic rendition in '32nd at least.

Maybe I should take some piccies and put this on the works thread. Any specific questions, email me.

Matt

Hi Allok

you would not perhaps be interested in selling or trading me one of these. I have been looking for this kit in the original matchbox box for some time. It is for very sentimental reasons that I want one (it is where it all started, about 33 years ago).

For that matter, any other LSP members of god standing may help me.

Sorry to hijack the tread. :ph34r:

I reckon that it's really Jens disguised as Piet in this post... :)

I hope that you do find an original Matchbox offering Piet (I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of these myself as a good basis kit for a 109E - I wouldn't be at all suprised if Revell re-release in the not too distant future anyway - after the Spitfire Mk.22/24 maybe?).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Allok

you would not perhaps be interested in selling or trading me one of these. I have been looking for this kit in the original matchbox box for some time. It is for very sentimental reasons that I want one (it is where it all started, about 33 years ago).

For that matter, any other LSP members of god standing may help me.

Sorry to hijack the tread. :blink:

:blink:-->

QUOTE(derek B @ Jan 11 2007, 03:25 AM) 100708[/snapback]

I reckon that it's really Jens disguised as Piet in this post... :)

Derek

Might very well be the case.

I guess Piet hasn't got a clue what this is about. :D

I do have a clue :lol: I was just trying to get Matty's attention.

BTW, I am looking for one in the original box. So a re-releas wont do me any good. I any one has one they which to part with, gimme a shout. But only members of god standing... :blink:

The Matchbox kit is lightyears ahead of the Hasegawa kit in terms of overall accuracy. The molds did suffer the tender mercies of Miguel The Mexican Ditchdigger, in common with most other Matchbox kits :blink:, but much like the Trumpeter Wellington, a decent coat of Mr. Surfacer (or putty), followed by sanding, will help tone them down somewhat if you so desire. Cutting Edge makes a resin interior for the Hase kit which should work well for the Matchbox offering, based on my dryfitting efforts, but the resin wheelwells from Cutting Edge will require quite a bit of work to make them fit into the Matchbox wings. As far as making a B/C/D from it, be prepared to scratchbuild the foward cowling assembly; you'll need to rob the earlier canopy from the Hasegawa kit and fiddle with the fit, as no one offers a vac replacement (which is pretty odd in itself). You would also be well advised to rob gear legs from the later Hasegawa G/K kit, as they were essentially the same and the Matchbox offerings are terribly spindly.

Maybe I should do up a "tweaks list" for the Matchbox kit...

Lynn

Ive got one - i really think its rubbish!

I need maybe to compare it with Hasegawa, i do know its better than the old Revel 109g which is trully very bad!

On opening the box i was a little dismayed at the thick canopy and dragon-beating trenches (throw it in the bin eh? no way! who but a baby would do that??)

I need to compare if what you guys say is right - time for a third look.

I do know they still make good money on the Ebays!

The Hasegawa Emil is absolute shite, but you can rob plenty of parts from it. The fuselage and wing outlines are all off in varying degrees, while the Matchbox kit is damn near spot on dimensionally. It's just rough, and will take work to get to a good result, much more work than the new Hasegawa Gustavs, that's for sure!

Lynn

the "E" is my favorite 109 and this is my favorite 109 kit, I have three and just bought two more from I believe Great models a few months ago for 19.00 usd, give them a try as they may have a few left, dont know where they got them but there the old matchbox kits they also had some of the old matchbox 1/32 combat troops for cheap! got a few of those as well,

Bob :D