HpH Supermarine Walrus - Operation Torch - 1942

Out2gtcha

Casting and deailling of HPH kits is top notch, indeed.

How do you remove the pour stubs along the wings? I always tend to break off pieces of the leading edge with that kind of pour stub location, or to cut/grind/sand into the wing  :crying:

Regards

- dutik

Thanks guys!

Just the type of inspiration I need atm. I really honestly was not planning on starting a brand new major project.........................but this one just spoke to me, as after I bought it, I was in the midst of other projects getting bogged down, and was not up for starting a major one.  Now that I actually completed a build, it gave me some inspiration to get building on something a bit more substantial.
Plus, Im ALWAYS of the opinion that you will get further with a build of something your into VS say a commission build where you may or may NOT be into the subject your building. I have always loved the Walrus and its pusher set up.

Dutik,
I have not thought about the pour blocks yet on this guy, but normally for the flatter ones I just use a razor saw, but for the in the case of the curved edges of the wings, I will likely attempt to score them with a brand new exacto #11 blade, then carefully snap them off.
The resin of the wings of the Walrus seem to be pretty stout. They dont seem very thin at all on the leading edges to be honest, so Im hoping scoring them first will reduce any chance of me breaking any pieces of the wing off.

I hope.  :unsure:

Awesome Brian. I've been having issues with "snapping' the resin from the blocks. I ruined a bunch of isracast missiles for my barak. I'll try scoring then next time but the pieces are so thin that they're almos designed to break.

HI

HpH did a great job with this kit , complex and full of details , which has nothing to envy to a Tam kit for example...I recently bought the L 29 from HpH after seeing Scvrobeson's ( Matt) built , these kits are a real pleasure ....Happy modeling , no doubt it will turn into a master piece in your hands  

bye Alain

Edited by alain11

Thanks again all!

Paul..........................

Hi Brian,

What a great kit - I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic with this one.

Just one small question, was the chocolate that HPH include still in the kit when it arrived? LOL

Cheers

Paul

Yes...................as a matter of fact it was!!!   Im not too sure of how GOOD it will be..................but just like the launching of a ship (in this case a flying-boat) Im going to christen the builds launch by eating the chocolate!

Yeah go for it Brian - love this plane and really love this kit!!!! it looked gorges when I saw it a Telford - just wish I had the wonga to have purchased it.

So I will just have to sit back and enjoy you doing your stuff!!!!

Happy Days - Taff :D

Thanks guys!

Ron, its strange, Ive put together HpH kits before and know exactly what you are talking about.............especially the smaller and/or thinner bits surrounded by resin flash.
NBD, but this one is weird, as some of the parts are cast in the normal light beige, others are cast in a darker beige, and finally some parts (like the rudder) are cast in a very unusual dark green/grey color...................very unusual resin color.
I have not messed with any of the non-normal looking resin bits to know if their flexibility is any different than the normal HpH resin.

Hi !

I enjoy watching the construction of our models. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me, I help you. (if I will be able to:-)) 

Different color of resin is determined only by the amount and shade. Resin is the same and has the same properties.

Regards

Mirek

Thanks Mirek!  I will keep that in mind.

This really is a beautiful kit, and I started it the same way I generally do with all my resin kits, with a good dunking in Westleys Bleche Wite - This is quite caustic, and can stand to be diluted, so I used a former zip tie container, and some tupper ware to house all the resin parts including the wings and fuse.

This does a wonderful job of getting rid of any grease, grim, and mold release agents present. I will let these soak for a few days at least:

DSC03326.jpg

DSC03328.jpg

Although it looks like a barbers comb container, it worked out well to hold the large and long fuse:

DSC03327.jpg

I also felt the need to print out the directions. I took the contained disk to my work and printed all 45 pages out in color, then put them in their own individual page protectors, then into a 3 ring binder:

DSC03329.jpg

DSC03330.jpg

So far, from most of the pics I can find of the standard  4 color "shadow shaded" version of the Brit  temperate sea scheme I want to do, this involves Extra Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Grey on the upper side of the upper wings and upper fuselage..............and then Dark Sea Grey / Light Slate Grey on the upper side of the lower wings, and lower fuselage. 

Also after looking at as many pics of this type of scheme as I could, it appears that most of these shadow shaded British schemes had "Sky Grey" applied on the undersides, which to my eye looks a lot more like a standard light gray with the VERY smallest hint of Sky in it. Some even seemed to have the standard greenish Sky on the undersides of the wing and Sky Grey on the undersides of the fuse. WHEW!

The caveat to all of this is that no one paint manufacturer (that I can get through my LHS or order via ground transport) makes all 6 paints. 

I wont go through the long list of what I found as far as who makes what, but suffice it to say, that I only have the OOB colors of Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Grey and Sky (Humbrol 90) to work with. This means I will have to custom mix the Extra Dark Sea Grey, the Light Slate Grey, as well as the Sky gray.

This is not that big of a deal, but I will have to experiment with the colors and at the moment, will try starting off with a 1/.5 mix of Dark Sea Grey and Dark Sea Blue to make the Extra Dark Sea Grey as EDSG always seemed to have a tinge of dark blue in it to me, and Ill try a 1/.5 mix of Dark Slate Grey and white to make the Light Slate grey.

I also amended my earlier statement of no AM other than the rigging and paint masks. The two 7.7mm Vickers K machine guns are a bit disappointingly molded IMHO:

WalrusMk1-28-.jpg

I have remedied this by purchasing a set of Gaspatch 7.7mm Vickers K machine guns with their oddly......................***COUGH*** shaped ammo catch bags, from SprueBros:

gpt32059.jpg

Tiz all for now guys. HOPEFULLY some actual build progress soon...............

Cheers!