1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Hi Derek,

I'm currently working on converting a Tamiya F-4EJ kit to a G so I find this discussion very interesting and encouraging. I have the old CE conversion set along with the TAC scale one and found both a bit lacking. The CE conversion was actually designed to used on the Tamiya C/D kit and had you cut part of the front fuselage off. This cut turned out to be in the same spot that Tamiya shortened the fuselage on the E kit so no cutting was required.

I have some pics of the CE nose up in the Phantom group build if you want to see it and can take more if you want an idea of what was included.

The EJ kit includes slotted tail planes so if you started with that kit, it would be one less part needed. These are the same ones in their J kit. From the look of things, I think the set included in the CE conversion were merely copies of the J tail planes.

If you are interested, I could send you a spare front fuselage (your choice of clear or grey plastic) if that helps you out.

Back to the poll, I would love to have a Spey engined Phantom in my collection so would be up for that one too.

Carl

Hi Derek,

I'm currently working on converting a Tamiya F-4EJ kit to a G so I find this discussion very interesting and encouraging. I have the old CE conversion set along with the TAC scale one and found both a bit lacking. The CE conversion was actually designed to used on the Tamiya C/D kit and had you cut part of the front fuselage off. This cut turned out to be in the same spot that Tamiya shortened the fuselage on the E kit so no cutting was required.

I have some pics of the CE nose up in the Phantom group build if you want to see it and can take more if you want an idea of what was included.

The EJ kit includes slotted tail planes so if you started with that kit, it would be one less part needed. These are the same ones in their J kit. From the look of things, I think the set included in the CE conversion were merely copies of the J tail planes.

If you are interested, I could send you a spare front fuselage (your choice of clear or grey plastic) if that helps you out.

Back to the poll, I would love to have a Spey engined Phantom in my collection so would be up for that one too.

Carl

Fascinating stuff Carl, thank you. I would like to see some pictures of your build, as it is always instructive to see how others have tackled the same problem? (I haven't seen the Cutting Edge stuff in action). The very kind offer of the front fuselage may very well help me once I have got my head around what is required (I'll let you know).

Certainly, I only have one Tamiya F-4J kit - reserved for the Spey Phantom conversion, one partially completed Revell RF-4C and one unmade Revell F-4F, so it looks like I shall definately need more Phantom kits to mutilate - especially the Tamiya ones!

Thanks for the update on Harold's nose (his resin one, not his real one, of course :lol:).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

This turned to be a great and interesting discussion for me.

Let me put it this way : if I am still healthy and alive I will buy ANY set for Phantom any of you guys produce.You can quote me on that.

I have most Phantom sets that are/were available but I also have bunch of unbuilt Phantom kits, both Revell and Tamiya waiting for new and better sets to come.

Jozef

He originally used the Tamiya nose as a base for the correction which needed some putty and fairing in but he recently changed it so less work would be required.

Carl

That's correct, I used a loaner nose from the Tamiya kit originally. (I didn't have the kit itself)

I recently found an old Revell kit in my stash that I bought at a contest years ago, it was missing so much that it was useless, so I just hacked off the front and mated the Tamiya nose to it. After some rather heated discussions with my self about doing this, (It took too many molds to make it smooth enough) I was finally happy enough about the fit. I know it will still require work to get it to look perfect on the kit itself, but it seemed to me that it was so much easier to use.

I gave the remaining parts to a friend to complete a conversion he was doing. I thought someone was doing a rather extensive correction set, including the intakes. I think I will hunt down a full kit now.......

Harold

This turned to be a great and interesting discussion for me.

Let me put it this way : if I am still healthy and alive I will buy ANY set for Phantom any of you guys produce.You can quote me on that.

I have most Phantom sets that are/were available but I also have bunch of unbuilt Phantom kits, both Revell and Tamiya waiting for new and better sets to come.

Jozef

Thank you for your support Jozef - I knew that I could count upon it :)

Best wishes

Derek

I'm not sure Harvey, but I hope that Harold will chime in and confirm it for me? (I'm sure that it will be really accurate if I know Harold's work :speak_cool: ). I do seem to recall that he may have made an RF-4C radome nose that was more accurate than the Revell kit part?

Cheers

Derek

I didn't do the RF-4C radome..did someone else do it?

I would definitely buy a F4 Wild weasel conversion ! Count me in on that one.....Harv :speak_cool:

Cheers Harv, that's nice to know :)

The F-4G conversion is looking as strong as the F-K/M conversion at present!

Derek

If it was within reason concerning the price, I'd take one. I like the Spey-powered Phantoms, I think they look cool. I once had a 1/72 (please don't kill me!) Fujimi FG.1 and liked it, despite its inferior size. I still think the red chevron with the omega on the tail (don't know the squadron) looks cool :coolio:

That's correct, I used a loaner nose from the Tamiya kit originally. (I didn't have the kit itself)

I recently found an old Revell kit in my stash that I bought at a contest years ago, it was missing so much that it was useless, so I just hacked off the front and mated the Tamiya nose to it. After some rather heated discussions with my self about doing this, (It took too many molds to make it smooth enough) I was finally happy enough about the fit. I know it will still require work to get it to look perfect on the kit itself, but it seemed to me that it was so much easier to use.

I gave the remaining parts to a friend to complete a conversion he was doing. I thought someone was doing a rather extensive correction set, including the intakes. I think I will hunt down a full kit now.......

Harold

Thanks for that Harold - so it was an F-4E nose (I just seem to remember seeing a picture of the nose and couldn't remember which mark of Phantom it belonged to!). ounds like you had a real struggle to get that Tamiya nose to fit the Revell fuselage - it must ahave been a real bear!

Anyhow, I now have many ideas forming in my head...lots of investigation now required!

Cheers

Derek

If it was within reason concerning the price, I'd take one. I like the Spey-powered Phantoms, I think they look cool. I once had a 1/72 (please don't kill me!) Fujimi FG.1 and liked it, despite its inferior size. I still think the red chevron with the omega on the tail (don't know the squadron) looks cool :coolio:

Hi Michael,

Obviously, should I go ahead with this - and it is looking more likely given the feedback so far - costs, both to you and me, would be important. However, I hope not to do this at the expense of quality, so I shall seek to attain a balance that will be satisfactory to the majority of modellers out there.

Cheers

Derek