• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 RBrown

RBrown

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:19 AM

I don't think Tamiya is doing this to protect customers...

Nor do I.

#47 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,856 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:20 AM

I don't think there is any credibility to any of this.

One face boot post from one site doesn't make fact when you can't find anything on line to support it.

• williamj and Out2gtcha like this

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#48 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

Such a trade practice by Tamiya would not need to be announced to the public, not on the internet anyway. This is the kind of stuff that makes the small print on contracts. This retailer may be the only one "hurt" by it, most likely because they abused a contractual clause, got caught, and now they try to use "public anger" to their own advantage. Other retailers who play fair may not have any need to fuss over it.
Radu

Edited by Radub, 17 May 2018 - 03:30 AM.

• williamj, Out2gtcha and Clunkmeister like this

For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

#49 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,856 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:34 AM

All speculation from what I see based on only two hits on the internet.

If true, surely there would be more hype than this.

Wait and see I guess.

• Out2gtcha likes this

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#50 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,964 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:00 AM

If it's true, it boost's Tamiya's stock in my books by about 500%

I get it I'm backwards from many, but like some here, I come at this from the other side of the equation.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#51 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:09 AM

The reason why there is no hype is because nothing should change for the overwhelming majority of retailers. This is not about putting up prices, it is about how low the prices can be reduced. Few retailers do crazy discounts.
Radu
  • Clunkmeister likes this

For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

#52 RBrown

RBrown

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

What some are defending and others apparently support is a scheme to manipulate market forces to artificially maintain a minimum price, ultimately at the expense of the consumer.

If you think this is a ethical practice you might take a moment to reflect on why this is illegal in several US states and many countries around the globe.

#53 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

It is perfectly legal in Ireland. There is a minimum price on alcohol. Ireland has a law that prohibits "below cost sales", meaning that it is illegal to sell a product at a price below the price paid to purchase that product from the manufacturer.
As I said so many times, nothing should change. Sales will still exist for Black Friday or Christmas. You, as a customer will still get kits cheaper in some places than others. Only crazy discounts will be discontinued. Most likely this was put in place because of just one shark with dodgy practices.
Radu

#54 Bravo52

Bravo52

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:28 AM

“ I have enough Tamiya kits to build until I die anyway” is the best line of this thread! In reality this could have no impact on the retailer or customer. “See price in cart” or “Call for pricing” can likely negate any MAP issues (with a few exceptions). You have to consider that Tamiya can’t dictate what retailer sells a product for, nor what they advertise it for; Tamiya can only dictate who they do business with. If a retailer won’t agree to advertise at MAP, then Tamiya doesn’t have to wholesale to them. Kinda simple really.
Jerry Little
Global Terminal Delivery

"It's a cockpit...just paint it green"

#55 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

If this is not true and it just a daft attempt at a marketing ploy, then this could be the start of a beautiful lawsuit. ☺️
Radu

#56 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Actually, it happens all the time. I’m very much into photography and this seems to be the common practice. Lets say you want to buy a Nikon D850: the price is the same everywhere here in the states. If the dealer purchases Nikon USA cameras with a USA warranty, you will never find the camera sold for one penny less from anyone in the US. On eBay and from some vendors, you might find ones for less but they are Gray Market cameras and Nikon USA will not honor the warranty or repair them. Being genuine Nikons doesn’t matter, not imported by Nikon USA, you have no USA warranty and will have to return them to Nikon in Japan for warranty work. The same applies for all Cameras: Nkon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and so on. The prices are set and this has been for always.
Peter

Edited by Peterpools, 18 May 2018 - 12:45 PM.

• Out2gtcha and modelingbob like this

B5WSeE.jpg

#57 modelingbob

modelingbob

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

Yep, P is correct. MAP is legal in the USA. In every single state. Lots of businesses/products use MAP. I used to own a retail fly fishing store. About 75% of those products in that store are MAP controlled. And I even live in a state that says MAP is supposedly illegal! And yet, it still exists!!!

• Out2gtcha and Peterpools like this

#58 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,391 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Actually, it happens all the time. I’m very much into photography and this seems to be the common practice. Lets say you want to buy a Nikon D850: the price is the same everywhere here in the states. If the dealer purchases Nikon USA cameras with a USA warranty, you will never find the camera sold for one penny less from anyone in the US. On eBay and from some vendors, you might find ones for less but they are Gray Market cameras and Nikon USA will not honor the warranty or repair them. Being genuine Nikons doesn’t matter, not imported by Nikon USA, you have no USA warranty and will have to return them to Nikon in Japan for warranty work. The same applies for all Cameras: Nkon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and so on. The prices are set and this has been for always.
Peter

Yep, P is correct. MAP is legal in the USA. In every single state. Lots of businesses/products use MAP. I used to own a retail fly fishing store. About 75% of those products in that store are MAP controlled. And I even live in a state that says MAP is supposedly illegal! And yet, it still exists!!!

Agreed, as I am not a photography expert by any means, but I recently was in the market for a new DSLR, and after doing my usual bout of research, I found that the new Nikon D3400 was about what I needed, and had all the features I wanted in the price range I needed. 
So then I started doing my research on price...................

Just as Peter mentioned, I found that Walmart, On-line vendors, E-Bay and even the local Rockbrook camera shop all had variations on D3400 deals some with bodies and no lenses, and others with a normal Nikon OOB lens, but when you worked the numbers removing or adding accessories, it all worked out to be exactly the same price across the board whether I  bought it on line from China, or down the block from my house. The only difference was the tacked on shipping VS tax locally.

• Peterpools likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users