Revell 1/32 Grumman F3F-3

Big bad Wolf

Hello Forum,

"within the build is before the built" I read some in the world wide web - :hmmm:  I think somewhere aftmost left. :blink:   .Some minutes before I was able to lay my hand on this beauty - also I payed much too much for her* burt I  will plan much more that i jumped in with the Camel F.1. So this'll be at the very beginning a research thread swinging to a building an asking for help thread later on. 

Ebay_zpskutbm1pv.jpg

Here the technical drawing for those who are interested in such stuff:

grumman-f3f-2-2_zpsg6gimf2r.png

And there is certainly a question of the colour sheme - I love this "British Post Red" as I remember it from my London trip once up on a time ^_^  called it.

3_1_zpsyvsjscoe.jpg

Is this the "right" red - or is it too dark?

Grumman_F3F_2%201_zpsheloezrn.jpg

:please:  Now to my questions - and as a newby I've got a lot of this  :oops:

I can't figure out when these coloursheme was used - okay before 1940 (then I found pictures in the pacific darkblue and sky light grey pattern). 

a)

Is it right when I'll call her  "1445" after her number on the tail? Or is the hull's side number "5-F-1" crucial? The coloursheme of the Revell kit semms to be the same as her's and the squadron symbol might be the same.

B)

What is the right Squadron my beauty belongs to? Was theirtimes there a sqaudron-colour or was it a a carrier-colour? 

c) 

If I say - okay red is nice but I want to bring the VB-2 "Big bad Wolf" on here hull - what do I have to do at the markings and to her colouring?

I just learnd by http://wp.scn.ru that this was a Bomber Squadron not a VF for Fighter one  :sorry: 

So there apearce onn the far horizon the question if there might be a biplane Helldiver Curtiss SBC 1/32 kit...

...or if not - is it possible to built the SB2C back to a biplane?

Could I take the  measurements from the 1/72 Heller or the Matchbox kit?

Thanks for your intrest and patience with a questioning greenhorn in here!

*but with kits it seems to be like with kids and women you falt in love to...  :mental:

Edited by Big bad Wolf

Nice project, i love this aircraft !

The kind of cherry red on your picture (the one with the "golden" propeller blades) is gorgeous ! No doubt it will look great if you can catch the good color.

The "5-F-1" number is the unit number. The 1445 is the serial.

If i am right, the colors correspond to some specific squadrons, which themselves correspond to a carrier. There are 3 colored areas : engine cowling, fuselage band and tail, and the tail can be of different color than the cowling and fuselage band. I dont remember exactly the meaning but i have a book about the BF2C and F-11 where there is a complete explanation of the various squadrons and carriers regarding the colors. I'll try to have a look this evening.

Edited by Zero77

If Mike West is still active, I strongly recommend his "F3-F" accurizing set, which corrects notably the short span of the Revell kit (which started life as the Gulfhawk, which had a shorter-span wing)

Mike West is the man behind Lone Star Models

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

If Mike West is still active, I strongly recommend his "F3-F" accurizing set, which corrects notably the short span of the Revell kit (which started life as the Gulfhawk, which had a shorter-span wing)

Hubert

Thanks to all of you for the very helpful inforamtion, links and hints.

:frantic:  In the next days a compressor for the airbrush will appear here  :frantic:

So I'm hopefull to be able to spray this airplaine - but the cherryred I would like to the the Citadel Groe Red for cant't be sprayed - so I'll hopefully be ableto find some alternative. colour for ttail, band and enginecover...

Abaout the aftermarket set -  I found this notice:

I seriously need to take a break from this!

So until further notice Lone Star Models

will not be accepting any new orders.

All orders on hand will be filled

:oops: 

As I cought this night the BF2 C1 by Hasegawa also - I'm doublely disappointed - because I'would need both cockpit sets additivly the wing extension set :wicked: .

Edited by Big bad Wolf

Hello thanks for the basket full of motivations and helpful hints. And crumbling on my carpetmonster's head with popcorn - it's not used to this usually it's awayting kitparts to grap them, run away and hide them... please don't irritate her too much!

I'm 'till awayting my kit by mail  :shrug:

also my 

HawkII_zpsnzjyfpyp.jpg

:yahoo: brandnew BF2C-1 "Goshawk" with

dT1hSFIwY0Rvdkx6TmpMV3hwZG1VdFltRndMbk5s

rejectable landing-gear  :wub:   

:coolio: I managed to snatch her from under sombody's nose   :wicked:

Hubert

It started life as a Monogram kit in 1960.

234290-12192-40-pristine.jpg

It's a nice kit and the only large scale F3F.

Mike West will be back. I think he's just on a vacation of sorts.

Have fun Christian !

Thanks to all of you for the very helpful inforamtion, links and hints.

:frantic:  In the next days a compressor for the airbrush will appear here  :frantic:

So I'm hopefull to be able to spray this airplaine - but the cherryred I would like to the the Citadel Groe Red for cant't be sprayed - so I'll hopefully be ableto find some alternative. colour for ttail, band and enginecover...

Abaout the aftermarket set -  I found this notice:

I seriously need to take a break from this!

So until further notice Lone Star Models

will not be accepting any new orders.

All orders on hand will be filled

:oops: 

As I cought this night the BF2 C1 by Hasegawa also - I'm doublely disappointed - because I'would need both cockpit sets additivly the wing extension set :wicked: .

Mike (West, of Lone Star Models) has just posted an update on his Facebook page. The relevant comment for our purposes I've quoted below:

Some may have noticed I have stopped taking orders for now? This is just temporary so I can finally get all the backed up orders done and out of here.

Kev

Definitely get Mike's wing and detail sets if you can wait. The span is very different vs. the Revell kit. He has sets for most of Hasegawa's biplanes, the P-26 and Wms. Bros. Sparrowhawk. Nice stuff.

And I really like all that red. Each section had their own color code. The leader had full cowling colors and the other two planes had either the top or the bottom halves of the cowlings painted in section colors. Your plan has the leader of section one.

Tnarg

That's very intresting , guys! So the F3F is a recycled kit of this sportsaircraft :fight:  

So I'd have to invest some  US$ 66 + p&p for the aftermarket addtivives???

For the BF2C-1 I would have to add 25 bucks, too. 

This isn't in the planed budget :doh:  :shrug:  

But I have been ablet to lay my hand on a can of brake-cover-colour for sportscars showing her inner live (* very distinguished Oxford English:* As not one out of my stack of three RR scaled1/16 will never do like. :whistle:   ) so I found this fine red. I decided to build her just in this way as this pearticular aircraft of the commander of VF-5 after 1937 and before the war-blue-grey of 1940. Because between 1935-37 the red was the colour of the planes of USS Langley and the F3F-3 was introduced 1936 and in October the CV-1 was converted into a seaplane tender - it's not really realistic to paint a squadron of brand new fighting airplanes to  introduce them onto a carrier for only some month. The Yorktown (CV-5) is the newest carrier of the fleet iiuntrocuced in 1936 - and it makes sence to give the also brand new plans to her. But till 1937 they would have  had a blue tail. But this kit features the F3F-3 and wikipedia learns to us: The entire F3F-2 production series was delivered in between 1937 and 1938; when deliveries ended, all seven Navy and Marine Corps pursuit squadrons were equipped with Grumman single-seat fighters. Further aerodynamic developments were made to an F3F-2 returned to Grumman for maintenance; it became the XF3F-3, and featured a larger-diameter propeller, among other improvements. On 21 June 1938, the Navy ordered 27 improved F3F-3s 

Here I founde a very intersting artice obaout the same kit: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21664&page=3 with a plenty of helpfull hints and helping hands by the members done here several years ago.

So I think I'll have to scatch all this - but will it be cheaper at the very end on  my bill?

Edited by Big bad Wolf

...and I figured out where I saw this cioloursheme before:  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showuser=29051  :D

Peterpools has got a Boeing F2B-1 from USS Saratoga in his signature 

here a little video for those who don't know warthunder - and why it's fun to fly a F3F-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VfBtyOL0c

Edited by Big bad Wolf