• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

My point was that there is nothing wrong with the Roden kit. It's decent and accurate. I've built one several years back and have a couple more, one Dr.1 and one Encore F.1 Voss boxing. It needs guns and prop help, but other than giving the tail plane a couple swipes With a sanding stick where it joins the fuselage, is a really decent kit.

I agree, I have also built the Roden kit and found it decent and moderately accurate*. My point was WNW producing decals for the Roden kit could well be a sign they are not doing one of their own

Richard

*It's easy to fill that strange lowered flat on the tailplane, I don't know why they did it

We are normal and we want our freedom!

#32 STWilliams

STWilliams

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

I agree, I have also built the Roden kit and found it decent and moderately accurate*. My point was WNW producing decals for the Roden kit could well be a sign they are not doing one of their own

Richard

*It's easy to fill that strange lowered flat on the tailplane, I don't know why they did it

I agree - for £25 in the UK, they are an absolute bargain. The Encore version is also good, and PART of Poland do  very, very comprehensive PE set. I have never, ever, heard of a manufacturer selling decals for another manufacturers kit, in the same box as one of their kits? WNW never cease to surprise me.

I remember Roden selling 1/32 kits for £50-£60 when they first debuted, and being happy to pay that. WNW have absolutely destroyed their business plan, unfortunately.

#33 petrov27

petrov27

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

I remember Roden selling 1/32 kits for £50-£60 when they first debuted, and being happy to pay that. WNW have absolutely destroyed their business plan, unfortunately.

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. Pretty hard to blame WNW for that IMHO? I do think they will eventually do it - they did the Camel after all, but it may be a long time coming....

• Shane aka Smokey and RLWP like this

-Patrick

#34 John Irwin

John Irwin

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. 

I'm one of those modelers who refuses to "dirty my hands" by building the Roden Dr.1.   For me it comes down to this - I'm sure the Roden kit is decent but no one compares to what WNW puts out.   It's more than just the plastic, it's the PE, the awesome instructions, every single placard being provided on the decal sheet, the great choice of color schemes, etc, etc.  I also have to believe that even regarding the plastic itself, WNW would offer a better detailed product.    

Now if I just had to have a Dr.1 in my collection, I would obviously simply go and build the Roden kit.   However, I'm not in that category.   I'd gladly build the Dr.1 if WNW offered it, based on the reasons above.  Since they aren't, I've got plenty of other projects in the queue and will patiently wait for that day when WNW does the Dr.1.  If that day never arrives, I could care less.   

• LSP_Typhoonattack and Shane aka Smokey like this

#35 STWilliams

STWilliams

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

I'm one of those modelers who refuses to "dirty my hands" by building the Roden Dr.1.   For me it comes down to this - I'm sure the Roden kit is decent but no one compares to what WNW puts out.   It's more than just the plastic, it's the PE, the awesome instructions, every single placard being provided on the decal sheet, the great choice of color schemes, etc, etc.  I also have to believe that even regarding the plastic itself, WNW would offer a better detailed product.    

Now if I just had to have a Dr.1 in my collection, I would obviously simply go and build the Roden kit.   However, I'm not in that category.   I'd gladly build the Dr.1 if WNW offered it, based on the reasons above.  Since they aren't, I've got plenty of other projects in the queue and will patiently wait for that day when WNW does the Dr.1.  If that day never arrives, I could care less.   

The PE in WNW's kits is miniscule at best, and I don't know many modellers like us who build schemes out of the box?

I really don't understand this refusal to build non-WNW kits. Sure, WNW are the very best available, but the Roden kits are better than "buildable", they are bloody good kits, at around 1/3 of WNW's prices, and more widely and easily available. I also gain more satisfaction from building a Roden kit than a WNW kit.

• Rick Griewski and RLWP like this

#36 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

WNW - New Kit Coming?

Scroll down to see box art etc
https://forum.ww1air...p?topic=9476.60

:yahoo: :wub:

Edited by MARU5137, 21 April 2018 - 02:47 PM.

• Shane aka Smokey likes this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#37 STWilliams

STWilliams

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

I'm happy to the extent that I sold a WNW Triplane for £200 last week. I'm selling all my WNW OOP duplicates, as it's pretty obvious WNW are going to re-release them all at some point.

• RLWP likes this

#38 petrov27

petrov27

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

Also reported - hey maybe THAT will be the holy grail DrI kit lol

According to Richard Alexander today, there will probably be a different new release announced at the Shizouka Hobby Fair in May. Still lots more cool stuff in the pipeline

• scvrobeson and LSP_Typhoonattack like this

-Patrick

#39 Fred Jack

Fred Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

It shouldn’t be surprising that WnWs is doing a decal sheet for Roden. Richard Alexander once posted that WnWs is not about to compete with Roden and this proves it.

#40 scvrobeson

scvrobeson

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

That proposed announcement was only if they didn't have everything ready for the NZ show, which evidently they have.

As has been said, the fact they've made decals for the Roden Dr.I pretty much puts an end to any thoughts WNW's will be producing one.

He said at the show yesterday that there will be another announcement coming

Matt

#41 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,416 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. Pretty hard to blame WNW for that IMHO? I do think they will eventually do it - they did the Camel after all, but it may be a long time coming....

As has been stated innumerable times, here and elsewhere, yes, the Roden/Encore Dr.I kit is OK, but when it comes to the Dr.I, many don't want just OK, they want fabulous, which the Roden kit is not, but a WNW kit most certainly would be. To not want to compete with an existing product, is, in my opinion, a concept that makes no sense whatsoever.

Case in point; the Revell Mustang vs the Tamiya Mustang. While many will clamor for the excellent Tamiya kit, many more have also proved that they are perfectly willing to snatch the new Revell kit in rather large numbers, despite the existence of the Tamiya kit. Why? The price, Revell being reasonably cheap, whereas the Tamiya kit is not. The consequence? The two kits in no way are in direct completion with each other, as they generally appeal to two distinctly different market groups.

I fully expect, as I have anticipated all along, that WNW will eventually do a Dr.I. When that may be, I have no earthly idea, but I fervently believe they will eventually release one.

• Shane aka Smokey and cbk57 like this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#42 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

It's nice to buy that perfect, no-fault kit where you don't need to add any detail or change anything.  But there is AM for a lot of things, like stitching or tape.  Guns and fabric decals.  And while the WnW Mercedes is nicer than the Roden Mercedes, there are AM Mercedes that are even-nicer.

Maybe it's a little unrealistic to expect WnW to release everything we want when there is so much that has never been released that WnW may some day be able to do if they don't focus on our cries of "I want, I want".

Gaz

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#43 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

He said at the show yesterday that there will be another announcement coming

http://www.wingnutwi...?productid=3180

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#44 scvrobeson

scvrobeson

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:49 AM

No, the D.1 was announced months ago, and releases on Tuesday.  That wouldn't be the announcement coming out in May at the Shizouka show

Matt 

• esarmstrong and mmaben like this

#45 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:58 AM

DGS5wi9.jpg

• spacewolf, Martinnfb, Alburymodeler and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users