I-16 type 24 - Cpt Tsokolayev - Ladoga lake 1942

Zero77

nl7ZkiL.jpg

Hi,

It's not actually 100% finished as i still wait for the North Star models resin and PE PAK-1 gunsight. But the parcel has been lost, North Star refund my money and so i ordered new sets from Aviation Megastore. Should be there next friday, so everything would be done next saturday. ;)

It's the ICM kit, with Eduard PE interior, RB paper belt (Sutton harness slightly modified), North Star resin wheels, and Brengun resin RS-82 rockets under the wings. Decals from the huge Begemot I-16 set. The color is not really standard for 1942 nor for the I-16 (though it has been for the I-15), but that's the most probable in my opinion. Some source say it was a white winter wash, but it's doubtful the white wash was applied on underwings and especially gear legs, that it was so clean, and when you look at the 21 outline, which is probably white, it's brighter than the main color of the plane. 

So i guess it's the soviet aluminium lacquer.

The propeller doesn't look standard either as the color is very light (it's usually black), so i guess it was unpainted. The back side looks darker on the pictures, so i painted the backside with a dark grey, probably an antiglare stuff.

I chose to paint the rocket lauchers light blue, as they look a little bit darker on the pictures (maybe it's only the shadow). In my opinion, it's possible as those devices may have been painted with the standard underside color before being mounted.

Last interesting detail, the gear legs panels were not mounted, it gives the aircraft a different look.

The pitot and the wing guns are aluminium and brass tubes.

On the second period picture you can see the gun camera bracket just behind the head rest. I have made one from scratch but i decided to not use it as i think it was a bit oversized, and i dislike how it looked.

The aluminium laquer is a mix of Tamiya flat aluminium (XF16) and Gunze Light Aircraft Grey for british jets (H332). It has been slightly weathered (almost invisible on pictures...) with enamel washes and pigments. The exhaust rust is Mig pigments.

Only a few pictures as it's not really finished, but as soon as i have the PAK-1 gunsight ready, i will take some more.

13iap21a.jpg

13iap21b.jpg

J7I0hnY.jpg
wMX6Byn.jpg
Gh4VroH.jpg
SmW8Dh5.jpg
aIhsfSJ.jpg

OTHER PICTURES ON THE NEXT PAGE !
Edited by Zero77

Looks great - how did you find the build?

Only thing I would suggest is maybe to consider some weathering on the wing underside, from previous rocket firings perhaps?

The Eduard interior set makes a big difference to the cockpit, which looks amazing. I also think it looks better without the gear doors on. You can see more, and it gives the little aeroplane a different look, which considering that they all looked very similar, is not easy to pull off.

Just really good work. 

Thanks ! 

Yes i should add a bit of weathering on the underside. However, the artificial light really eat it, and for example the tires are actually really dusty (Mig pigment russian earth) but on the close up picture it's barely visible.

It also lacks a bit of soot at the gun mouth, especially in the nose.

The build was very pleasant and straightforward. The cockpit is not very detailed from the box, but there is so few visible even with the doors open... The only little difficulty is the main part of the fuselage all around the cockpit as the upper part is separate, and the seam must be filled and sanded clean. You have to glue it very flush before.

I said it was the ICM kit, but it was the Revell boxing (no difference). I also have another ICM type 24 kit in the stash and a type 28.

Thanks Martin !

Another difficulty in the build that i forgot to mention, is the exhausts. It's not very easy to position them correctly. The instruction are not very clear and if you want to make it with the engine cowling closed, you have to get them in the perfect position. The only solution is to dry fit the cowling panels with tape and move the exhaust tubes while they are curing until you get what you want. I broked them almost twice each. :)

Thanks Martin !

Another difficulty in the build that i forgot to mention, is the exhausts. It's not very easy to position them correctly. The instruction are not very clear and if you want to make it with the engine cowling closed, you have to get them in the perfect position. The only solution is to dry fit the cowling panels with tape and move the exhaust tubes while they are curing until you get what you want. I broked them almost twice each. :)

One of those engine blankets might be handy then!

Nice model and thanks for the warning on the exhausts. Funny you should mention a Northstar models lost package, mine containing 2 sets of wheels and 2 gun sights was also lost in transit and a replacement order sent, though in both cases tracking isnt working so we shall see. 

Nice model and thanks for the warning on the exhausts. Funny you should mention a Northstar models lost package, mine containing 2 sets of wheels and 2 gun sights was also lost in transit and a replacement order sent, though in both cases tracking isnt working so we shall see. 

I've made an order (Ebay) on early march, various resin and a decal set (Begemot Yak-3, great set by the way !). Sent I got a working tracking and received the parcels (resin from Ukraine, decals from Russia) in about 3 weeks. But the Pak-1 gunsights were missing. So the Ebay North Star seller resent them but as a very small parcel there was no tracking either.

After 5 weeks without any delivery, he offered me a refund.

He told me it would be better to not make small order as them seem to usually get lost by UkrPoshta.

North Star is very good quality resin parts.

Edited by Zero77

I ordered direct from their website, got a shipping notice, tracking never worked and I tried several tracking services, I gave it 5 weeks before contacting them, the email on their website just bounced back to me, I tried Facebook and got a reply, they said they'd look in to it. About a week later I got a new dispatch email, again the tracking doesn't work but it's only about 3 weeks since dispatch so I'll give it another week or 2. Typically things shipped from that part of the world normally arrive after about 3-4 weeks in the past.