Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Comrades..............It is time.

Time to start the build to end all builds; for me at least.

Ive built some LSPs before but nothing like this beast. Until I actually GOT the kit, I had no Idea how big of an airplane this actually was. I purchased this kit with the intention of building it to completion for the US Nats in August in my home town of Omaha.

I made the mistake of tallying up how much tax refund money I spent on this thing. BIG mistake. AMS, for those who suffer from this dreaded disease, is quite debilitating, and in this case may have let to a bit of insanity. Im not 100% confident in my ability to get this behemoth done in under 4 months, but I think it IS possible if I work at it.

Here is the Russian Pre-delivery scheme # 504 I will be going for:

0408380.jpg

0408377.jpg

0420248.jpg

MORE in a min.........with all the players in this little show of mine..........

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Here is what Ill be starting with (bare with me this gets a bit ridiculous):

The monster itself -

LSP_SU30_WIP_7.jpg

SU box compered with a Tamiya F-4

TrumpSU_30_2.jpg

All the Eduard PE it can handle (and even some I didnt need as Im using different seats) -

LSP_SU30_WIP_6.jpg

Full 5 pages worth of Begemont SU family sencils, QuickBoost SU seats, and those magicly hard to find Aires wheel wells -

LSP_SU30_WIP_5.jpg

Next up we have the absolutely STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL PitzModels SU family exhaust cans (too late if you havnt got yours as aperently Pitz has stopped making these), and a set of Russian pre-delivery custom paint masks from Ian at Ad Astra masks -

LSP_SU30_WIP_1.jpg

These things are INCREDIBLE A kit into themselves -

LSP_SU30_WIP_3.jpg

Instructions are clear, in color and very good -

LSP_SU30_WIP_2.jpg

Ian @ Ad Astra does wonderful work and I will continue to use his product when and where I can -

LSP_SU30_WIP_4.jpg

MORE in a min..........

Holy Guacamole! Those are big boxes and you have a veritable cornucopia of add-ons. IMHO that is one of the "coolest" looking aircraft ever built. This will be on my "must watch" list.

Thanks Ron!

Not done with that substantial add on list yet either.........

Last but surely not least we have a full complement of ZactoModels Pylons -

01.jpg

A set of his Vypel R-27 - AA-10 Alamo-"C" missiles -

01.jpg

And finally a set of Chris's Vypel R-73 - AA-11"Archer" missiles for the wing pylons -

01.jpg

WHEW! I know, I know, this is all bit over the top, but its money from the US Government (actually MY money :rolleyes: ) that didnt figure into my budget, so fork it, you only model once right?

Ill be moving quickly on this one boys......

Brian

Here are a couple "size comparison" shots of the SU-30, for those who dont fully grasp the size of this thing and/or have not seen this model in person -

First the SU fuse compared with the Tamiya F-4 Phantom (and we KNOW the 32nd phantom is no small model) -

TrumpSU_30_1.jpg

Next, I took some shots of this Russian beast with its baby brother from Mig alley -

LSP_SU30_WIP_8.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_9.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_10.jpg

No, your eyes are not deceiving you....................yeah this thing IS THAT big. Damn near a full US FOOT longer than the Trumpy Mig 15, and the nose / tail cone aren't even on yet!

Starting on the front office directly after getting done with this so watch this space.......

Thanks for looking in on me fellas. :D

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Go Brian! You can get this done in 4 months! Those burners are just amazing, can't wait to see how you do on those. Looks like this will be a fun group build if we can get some more people working on it. So far three Flankers and a Flogger. Hope more people join up. :thumbsup:

Last but surely not least we have a full complement of ZactoModels Pylons -

A set of his Vypel R-27 - AA-10 Alamo-"C" missiles -

And finally a set of Chris's Vypel R-73 - AA-11"Archer" missiles for the wing pylons -

Wow! I just delivered those to the Post Office about an hour ago!

I'm now officially faster than Sprue Bros!

USPS rocks!

:P

I'm a little disturbed to see all of the tiny fins on the Archers have fallen off their sprues (and in one case broken).

Fortunately it looks like they broke off clean (as they are designed to do) and are still usable and I include an extra sprue so the broken one shouldn't be a problem.

Nobody has written and complained about the fins breaking off so I wonder if this is an anomaly or if I need to consider doing some different packaging?

Looking forward to your build!

Wow! I just delivered those to the Post Office about an hour ago!

I'm now officially faster than Sprue Bros!

USPS rocks!

:P

I'm a little disturbed to see all of the tiny fins on the Archers have fallen off their sprues (and in one case broken).

Fortunately it looks like they broke off clean (as they are designed to do) and are still usable and I include an extra sprue so the broken one shouldn't be a problem.

Nobody has written and complained about the fins breaking off so I wonder if this is an anomaly or if I need to consider doing some different packaging?

Looking forward to your build!

Thanks Chris!

Yeah, your not quite that fast. :lol: I snagged those shots off of the aircraftresource center review of your wonderful products. :D Hope they dont mind, as Ill give credit where credit is due.

Really looking forward to getting the pylons and missiles! Thanks again Chris. :D

Cheers,

Brian

I promise, you'll love the pylons. Got mine the other day, plus the stinger. Just gorgeous.Cant wait for the can pics....Harv :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thanks Harv! Yeah Im really looking forward to using Chris's stuff. I think will make a HUGE difference in the appearance of the final model.

Im off to work on the pit and eat that string cheese I saw in one of my initial part shots! :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Holy smokes... you have got to be kidding me.. that is a gigantic kit with a price tag for all the included goodies that would bankrupt half of us...

Good luck... I would love to get this kit one day... but man, I just don't know where I would put the finished build!

Have fun and please do share the build with us!

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan!

Yeah the banrupt part would have gotten me too, if it wasnt for the damn US government holding back money of MY OWN and giving it back to me in a lump sum........so I lucked out there.........and have the disposable income to do this.......otherwise........no way!

Good luck... I would love to get this kit one day... but man, I just don't know where I would put the finished build!

Man, you hit the SCARY nail right on the head! If you saw my "display shelves" at my house you'd see that I maybe have a single normal sized 32nd slot (about big enough for a 32nd Has P-40 :rolleyes: ) but no where NEAR enough room to display this beastie..............not really sure what im going to do on that front.

Guess I blow that bridge up when I get the comp B! (was watching Saving Private Ryan again for the 200th time :lol: )

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

HA! Almost forgot.................I picked up about 4 or 5 sets of varying sizes of both stainless steel and brass, miniature, threaded hex nuts from scalehardware.com for brake line / hose / misc fittings on this build. I got extra to use on future builds.

thrn_1.jpg

This IS after all a RUSSIAN jet, so Im going to do a LOT of extra wiring on the gear utilizing lead wire -

10847970_image.jpg

and also CAT VI computer cable with solid core small gauge and insulated intercom wire utilizing the insulation for connectors and what-not.....

3293775098_83bd6e7c33.jpg

Brian

Brian, what is that aftermarket product on the far left of this pic? Is that some kind of seemless intake trunk? :rofl:

Haha! I refer to my earlier relpy :lol:

Thanks Harv! Yeah Im really looking forward to using Chris's stuff. I think will make a HUGE difference in the appearance of the final model.

Im off to work on the pit and eat that string cheese I saw in one of my initial part shots! :lol:

Cheers,

Brian