B-17G Tanker E15 Butler Aviation Co. N5237V.

Radders

I have been after this B-17G since it got released, and now finally the time has come. 

I would never build it as a bomber, as good and how great they look war torn... it's 'just not me'. I love Fire Bombers, people know me to love Russian stuff and I do, but Fire Bombers are my second passion.

Enter the HKM B-17G, and the bat plane, N66573.

Photo/Artwork by Boeing (obviously)

BI217700.jpg

And the boxart & contents.

img_6089.jpg

img_6090.jpg

It's going to be a long road, so bare with me... I have a vacform Tracker on the bench, Two Flankers (48th), a P-3, DC-6 & CL-215 in 1/72nd.

......But boy i'm excited.

Edited by Radders

Looked up that tail number on Google and there are several pictures of that B-17. One is a definate safety violation with the right wing over a fence! Will be fun to watch the progress of this conversion! I always liked the 50's-60's conversions of B-17's, B-25's and A-26's to civil or one of those 3 leter agencies used for "clandistine work". A B-17G converted to a SB-17 rescue plane with the air droppable Higgans boat underneath would be cool to see as well! Remember...."plausable denial"...no really...it's a fire bomber!

Cheers....Ron

This will be awesome, Radders!

I think you're going to have to acquire an early F-style 'stinger' tail turret though, and from its serial un-stagger the waist guns as it's from an earlier batch than the HK kit depicts. In fact, I hate to say it, you'd have been better off getting the F kit for this particular version. I remember our conversation a while back and discussing this with you, but I'd forgotten about this particular aircraft and the fact it was an early G-model!

Can't wait to see this progress though!

Tom

Thanks everyone.... can't wait to get cracking... found out early this morning that i'm going away next week now instead of my b'day week, so no updates for a bit sadly!

This will be awesome, Radders!

I think you're going to have to acquire an early F-style 'stinger' tail turret though, and from its serial un-stagger the waist guns as it's from an earlier batch than the HK kit depicts. In fact, I hate to say it, you'd have been better off getting the F kit for this particular version. I remember our conversation a while back and discussing this with you, but I'd forgotten about this particular aircraft and the fact it was an early G-model!

Can't wait to see this progress though!

Tom

I did think about this, not to worried about the waist gun positions, but the stinger tail I had thought about drawing around the Revell B-17F parts and upscaling, then scratch building my own... but I now wonder if I can buy the tail parts...

Food for thought. Cheers mate for the input!