Lukgraph Boeing F2B-1

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

The Lukgraph Boeing F2B-1

The GB to finally put an end to my procrastination on building the Lukgraph kits in the stash, as well as a nice chunk of my between the war years collection. The 1920's and 1930's have always been my passion, as some of the most colorful aircraft in the sky and the era of transition from biplanes, wood, tubing and fabric to the advanced aircraft of WWII. I've always seemed to find a way to shy away from biplanes in general but now is time to roll the dice, crack open the box and journey down a new path.

When I opened the box and examined the parts, Lukasz Sznasder, the man behind Lukgraph models, included a wonderful lithograph of the Boeing, with a personal dedication.

Timing was with me as I decided to start the Boeing a just few days before the announcement of the GB and with the 'news of the GB, I came to a complete stop. A quick post to Kev and I was given the OK to enter the GB, since so little work had been done.

I present the Boeing F2B-1 and we're off to the races. I am still out to lunch on what to use for the flying wires: RB stainless steel RAF flat wire or EZ Line flat wire; I am leaning towards RB's wire.

Just a few photographs of the kit and my kickoff for the GB.

Peter

untitled-2_zpsaxorxy1q.jpg

untitled-3_zpshvgkyjos.jpg

untitled-5_zpsy4ddknnh.jpg

My meager start:

untitled-4_zpsktrxuqgv.jpg

The Lithograph - Thank You Lukasz - so very much appreciated.

untitled-6_zpsolxwyoqp.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

I love this era of aviation lingering and colourful conservatism. I may pop by here and there, to enjoy this beauty in the progress. Go Peter!

Also, I would like to stress one thing. Peter is in need of reference material, especially internals, cockpit area and small details. I have literally nothing to help with , but maybe some of you Guys can help.

Cheers

M.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Martin

I decided to just go OOB on the interior and start learning how to build resin biplanes. Should have an update later this week with the fuselage buttoned up and I've been at the bench for a good portion of the day.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Wiiliam

I'm underway and the only two items I still need to order tonight is the RB s/s airfoil wire and the Tamiya paint for the wings

Peter

Also, I would like to stress one thing. Peter is in need of reference material, especially internals, cockpit area and small details. I have literally nothing to help with , but maybe some of you Guys can help.

Cheers

M.

I am pretty sure these are an F2B-1 with many more worth a look on this W H McMullen collection site

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/Sacktime_2010/boeing5_zpsjh6ufta6.jpg

boeing7_zpsrkoyfnyd.jpg

boeing4_zpsn1iz1ddj.jpg

looks a cracking build - can't wait to see you work your magic Peter

Peter

Lovely stuff Peter. Although the inner war years is not my most favorite era, it certainly has its charm. I have yet to see a Lukgraph kit in person, but it looks very reminiscent of a SWs kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

I've a few notes on colors that might help before you get too far on the kit.  The F2B turned up at a transition time in Navy colors.  The Navy had been using an aluminum enamel (aluminum paste mixed with spar varnish) scheme overall with yellow on the top of the upper wing (not wrapped around the leading edge of the wing).  When the aluminum enamel wouldn't stick to the metal primer, the Navy switched to Aircraft Gray enamel on metal and wooden surfaces.  Because the F2Bs began turning up in 1928, you might expect either scheme to have been used, but all the 1928 photos show a very shiny aluminum paint on the metal surfaces.  That same paint would turn up on interior metal surfaces too.  Whatever that shiny aluminum paint was, it was replaced by Aircraft Gray in 1929.  You can choose either combination for your model, but I suspect the shiny silver interior was not repainted.  (Remember that the fabric surfaces were unpainted in the interior.)

Unit markings were also being revised as the F2Bs were delivered.  For example, in 1927 yellow was the second section's color; in 1929 the second section had switched to white.  I suspect that the section colors changed in 1928, but I've yet not found written documentation.  Regardless, the some of the colors shown on the Lukgraph instruction sheet need adjusting.

-  A few 1928 photos show unpainted engine cowls (left in the factory silver paint).  The section cowl colors existed at that time, but probably still needed to be applied by the squadrons.

-  6-F-12 would have used that black chevron, but the lower half of the engine cowl would have also been black (and the top half would not have been red).

-  1-F-18 probably used Lemon Yellow as the section color - it certainly wasn't red.  That would make the chevron and bottom half of the engine cowl yellow; the top half of the cowl would not be black.

-  All the F2B photos show a rectangular metal access above the wing, to the left of the chevron.  It was either shiny aluminum or Aircraft Gray, and looks like a large "1" outside the chevron.  Lukgraph doesn't seem to represent that panel, but my photos of the kit aren't very good - you may wish to add this.

-  Do not use the kit decals for the national insignia - the red center disc is way oversized.

-  Note that VF-6B and VB-2B were the same unit at different dates.  I've never found a unit insignia on any of their F2Bs.

-  The prop tip stripes should be red at the outside, yellow, then blue, with the blue extended inward on aft faces of the blades.

Overall,  what little I've seen of the kit looks very good - it should be a fun build, and a revision of the colors doesn't change that!  Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,

Dana

• 7 months later...