Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for the very kind words on the Big Cat and her weapons. If I'm not mistaken and a good deal of the time I am, I do remember Mr Color Thinner being available as just thinner and self leveling thinner according to the bottles and the difference seemed to be the self leveling thinner contained retarder, slowing down the drying time and allowing the paint to stay wet a bit longer and flow. Or the years (I never really noticed when) the bottles just became Mr Color Leveling Thinner and the word "Self" vanished. I just need to drop the word "Self" from the description I use. I've been using the 400ml bottles for years and never even noticed the name change!

So far AK Microfiller and Primer has performed fantastically and I really can't even attest to it actually filling in tiny scratches or the like. Just a nice, easy to use primer where the results are a wonderfully smooth primer finish with no need for polishing or wet sanding. I do add retarder to help keep it wet so the primer will self level and not start to dry in route to the plastic surface.

Tamiya flat colors do require a clear gloss as is the nature of the flat paint but I'm lucky in that I can still shoot them very smoothly and the clear gloss only needs to become the smooth base for the decals and not needed to smooth out the paint. Tamiya gloss paints, shoot super smooth and I can decal right on top as well. I normally thin Tamiya paints 50/50 with their yellow cap thinner which is a "Tamiya's lacquer thinner" and not X-20A.

I have a nice stash of Model Air Paints that I still use when acrylics are called for. If anyone is to blame, it's Jay who suggested I try Mt Color - never looked back.

Looking forward to your Bradley update; the Infinity with the .2 tip is the perfect AB for the job.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks Chris

I suffered a good year with the modeling juices and mojo here one day and gone the next. I started a good number of kits, only to loose interest and and put on hold. The Tomcat, near and dear changed all that and now I look forward to my bench time with great anticipation. My advice is to try something different and nothing could be better then Tamiya for ease and zero roadblocks. Doesn't have to be an aircraft, anything that gets the juices going.

Very much appreciate the kind words on the Big Cat - just a pleasure to work on.

Peter

Happens to me frequently, Peter. I seem completely unable to do a large scale plane anymore without some major setback or another, so much so that I frequently consider dumping the entire stash.

Your weapons for the Tomcat look excellent.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev, much appreciated.

Know exactly how feel as in-depth build projects just take so much time that's it's hard to get through them any more. Then throw in the normal set backs that seem to be part of every build and first the frustration sets in and then the mojo seems to start to wander and then presto: kidnapped and gone for long periods.

It's more important to work on builds that are fun, provide a great deal of satisfaction and don't seem to be endless from the start.. I've looking at building two Fisher kits after the Tomcat: my second Sea Fury and the AD5, and both shouldn't be very long projects due to Paul's exquisite engineering, so much different then the Tamiya Mossie which at times seemed never ending and really wore me out.

Peter

Fabulous work Peter! My Tamiya F-14A build won't happen any time soon, but I've booked marked your build as a reference for when I do.

Looking forward to your completed build.

Mike

Guest Peterpools

MIke

Much appreciated and I'l be pulling up a chair and to follow your Tomcat when you have her scheduled for the bench

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian

Feels good to be making some steady progress and looking forward to my next bench session

Peter

Peter,

Your work looks flawless, and those add-ons to your F-14 could be entered in a contest themselves! I also appreciate the detailed descriptions you give of your progress: very educational!

Cheers, Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Thank you for the very kind comments on the Tomcat, the loadouts. and my build  presentation. Always glad to share ideas and techniques, as I always learn something new from every build thread I've followed since I became a member years ago

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl

You and me both. Papa Tamiya really has no reason not to do a completely 32nd scale Tomcat after the success of the 48th scale kits.After sll, all the research and CAD work is done. I'm sure I can easily see myself buy a number of those kits, no questions asked. :please: :please: :please:

Peter

I know it's insane works out to $118 US the 1/32 Tamiya P-51's and Corsairs range from $180 to $210 Can. here in London. The Kittyhawk Kingfisher is $120.

In Edmonton we pay much less:

1/32 Tamiya Mustang $154.99 Cdn ($119 US).

1/32 Tamiya Corsair F4U-1A $149.99 Cdn ($115 US) , F4U-1D $179.99 Cdn ($138 US).

1/32 Tamiya Spitfires $134.99 Cdn (all of them) , ($103 US)

1/48 Airfix Sea Fury $34.99 Cdn ($26 US).

1/48 Tamiya F-14A $119.99 Cdn ($91 US).

The first Tamiya F-14 I purchased was $89.99 Cdn ($69 US