AirCraft Models : Nieuport Sesquiplan racer. Finished !

Hubert Boillot

Hi Hubert,

would you like me to send you some steamed pear wood for iteration 4?  It has no discernible grain or figure and is the right colour off the stocks, so to speak.

Sorry to have been silent a while. I had a TIA (a kind of mini-stroke) recently and we have also been moving home, so I haven't been in any mood or position for modelmaking!  I also had a small heart attack on Boxing Day!

I will be catching up with things in model-land over the next few days.

Cheers,

Martin

Hello Martin,

I got your email about your changing house. The new one looks quite nice btw.

Now it's my turn to be held back not only by some personal health problems, but also by some of my employees' own health problems.

The priority is for you to take care of your health and well-being. When you feel like it, we could resume some talks about a certain project after the DH-89 ;)

Thanks for looking my friend.

Hubert.

PS: yes I'd gladly take some of these pearwood strips when you have the time.

OK, I'll sort some out for you.  And I'll take a pic of the one I carved in pear for a Fairchild Argus, when I can find the box o' bits!

Thanks for the kind wishes.  Same to you, sir and I'll be ready for a project very soon!

Cheers,

Martin

An Anson?  Who makes that Max?

I made a scratchbuilt Anson many years ago as a leaving present for the head of the Royal Aeronautical Society as he flew them in his youth. We had Avro plans and they were rubbish!  made me very wary of works drawings all my professional modelmaking life.

Cheers,

Martin

An Anson?  Who makes that Max?

I made a scratchbuilt Anson many years ago as a leaving present for the head of the Royal Aeronautical Society as he flew them in his youth. We had Avro plans and they were rubbish!  made me very wary of works drawings all my professional modelmaking life.

Cheers,

Martin

It's a vacuform Martin, Combat Models. I'm fighting with it in the "Winkle's Wings" GB when I get time! Good drawings of Ansons are so hard to come by but if my model ends up looking reasonably Anson-like I'll be satisfied.

Max

So, after a two weeks hiatus for vacation in areas of France where they eat foie gras, duck confit or "magret de canard" and drink red wine :), back at the bench (and at work this morning :) ), and therefore a small update.

I am about to close the fuselage, after I have added some bits and pieces :

- glued in place the central bulkhead with the wing spars :

IMG_0635_zpsur5qpf38.jpg

- added a piece of tube inside the nose part, to represent the carburetor intake. The intake itself was drilled, and some mesh added by raiding the sewing treasures' box of my wife, finding some fine ribbon that has exactly the mesh I was looking for :

IMG_0638_zpsblkmlylc.jpg

IMG_0634_zpspwafytul.jpg

As a side note, in my enthusiasm to see how my intake screen looked, and to glue the front piece, I forgot :doh:  to paint the inside of the tube :BANGHEAD2: . I managed to paint it from the back, by dipping a piece of cotton wool in Rub-n'-Buff and moving it back and forth in the tube. A bit acrobatic, but problem solved in the end :blush:

Finally, even though not much will be visible though the cokpit opening, I decided to add the vertical rods that connect the joystick horizontal bar to the aileron torque tubes. You can barely discern them (in black, in front of the cockpit bulkhead :

IMG_0636_zpsbusckcuy.jpg

And to conclude the work in the innards, I have added a fac-simile of the fuel tank that was squeezed in between the two cockpit / engine bearing keels on the NiD-29. Three pieces of card glued together and foiled (as was the inside of the front cowling, which was in aluminium in real life, and a small portion of which can be seen through the cokpit opening), et voilà !

IMG_0637_zpsgx15i9ii.jpg

and this is how it looks in situ :

IMG_0638_zpsblkmlylc.jpg

You can also see that I glued a strip of card on the bottom of the "engine compartment". This will strengthen the bottom of the fuselage and allow me to drill it to insert and glue a small tube for the central rigging wire between the bottom fuselage and the lower "wing".

That's all for now ! Thanks for looking.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Some progress today. Added, then sanded some Mr Surfacer on the joints between the fuselage and the tailplanes, and on the nose joints as well as around the cockpit (which still need its aperture to be filed rounder).

Also, I can now say that sanding the parts is a done deal. All the parts have been separated from the backing sheet, sanded (using a makeshift Sellotape handle for the thinner ones, i.e. all the parts I had to work with today).

But more importantly, they have been assembled :yahoo: !

The wings are on :

IMG_0642_zpsgviycbhr.jpg

I am trying to find an angle that shows the clean lines of the Sesquiplane. Must try harder ;) !

IMG_0643_zpsrwnxt4tu.jpg

The undercarriage legs have been sanded and glued together. Still need some refining and finishing, though :

IMG_0645_zpsgy4lroqq.jpg

The lower "wing" has been assembled. I milled a groove on the inside of the two halves to accomodate a brass axle for the wheels, before gluing the two halves together.

IMG_0644_zps9bvperi5.jpg

And finally the wheels have been assembled. After sanding they were a bit thin, so I added a disc cut in 0.25 mm plastic card. I also added an internal axle bearer. And this is how it looks now :

IMG_0647_zps6gmtdowx.jpg

Getting nearer to completion :)

Hubert