Mr paint

Lancman

I messaged MRP on Facebook about the new line I'd seen on their page and if they were going to match the existing shades we may use. The answer was no, these are going to be aimed squarely at figure painters and what I was after for my repair/touch up purposes was their existing Aqua line of paints. I am yet to try these as some reviews I've seen say they are still quite thin and possibly too thin for brushing on. I may just have to order a bottle next time I place an order to test for myself though I'm sure I've seen them reviewed on here last year.

Interesting. I have heard the same about the Aquas line being a bit thin for brushing, but I too have yet to try them.

Follow up message, MRP said yes, they are thin but 2-3 coats should do the job. I'll be trying them at some point as much of my painting is now done using MRP paints. Hopefully they'll be fine for the little dab here and there I need to cover up my over spray or bleed through.

Okay, I'm starting to get the picture.

Does the paint in the glass Mr.Paint bottles stink when sprayed? In other words if you do you model building at the kitchen table would your wife approve?

The stinky smell is Mr. Paint's greatest drawback.

Kev

Okay, I'm starting to get the picture.

Does the paint in the glass Mr.Paint bottles stink when sprayed? In other words if you do you model building at the kitchen table would your wife approve?

From what I've read a strong vented extractor is required and I know some of the folks here also wear a respirator.  So no, would not work well at the kitchen table for painting.   Unless you have an amazingly understanding and supportive wife!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Yeah, nope so that leaves out the stuff in the glass bottle. Bummer

Has anyone seriously used the aqueous in the Vallejo looking bottles yet?

I reviewed a set a couple of months back:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1996

I found them to be pretty good for general coverage, but not so much for fine detail with an airbrush. I meant to test them with a paint brush too, but ran out of time. One thing that will suit you is that they have practically no smell at all.

Kev

Your review fits my experience with Mission Model Paints as well. Pretty nice for broad coverage. Poor for fine work.

My findings so far regarding any acrylic (non-stinky) based paints is that they are acceptable down to an individual 1/32 panel but if you try to go much smaller you are fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for the thread and good words!