Mr paint

Lancman

Do you know if their brush paintable version is out yet, or still to be released?

Brian, as far as I'm aware the only version other than the airbrush ready stuff in the glass bottles that's currently available comes in a dropper bottle like Vallejo stuff, it's meant to be brush paintable and is a available in a range matching the airbrush paints but I've read it's still quite thin, possibly too thin to brush paint and am a bit reluctant myself to try it until I've seen someone else use it with a brush. I stumbled across the MRP Facebook page last week and discovered what looks like a new line in the works for figure painters and he claims it's a thicker paint. I'm hoping it's released in colours that match the airbrush ready paints. I've been checking the MRP website to see if it's available yet as I need to place an order fairly soon anyway but nothing showing yet.

I agree they are thin right from the bottle, hence the "ink" reference the company seems to continually want to use. I have never really liked this, since that is a bit misleading, in that the MRP stuff is still paint, and not ink.

It does however , fit the definition of 'ink'       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

My only quandary now, is matching the MRP pre-thinned paints with a suitable brush color. I have so far, been able to limp along using semi-suitable brushable Model Master acrylic brush colors.

Has anybody tried leaving some out of the bottle

to see if it thickens up to a brushable viscosity ?

I haven't , just curious  :shrug:

It does however , fit the definition of 'ink'       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

Unfortunately, I trust user written Wikis about as far as I could throw the people setting at home on their own computers who wrote them.

So what's the technical difference between ink and paint?

Kev

Generally just like the interwebs describes it, paint is made with a base water, acrylic, lacquer or otherwise (just like MRP) and is loose and runny, made to generally be used with brushes or sponges/knives or have the ability to be thinned down to shoot through an airbrush (just like MRP). Ink is generally made with a single ingredient dye mixed with water only (not like MRP)  in order to flow through calligraphy or other writing pens.

The definition of what I dye is generally stops when you add more ingredients, and/or change to some other base, other than water. Although some have contested that "inks" can have other bases other than water, in the strictest of definitions, when you get there, you no longer have ink, and now have ultra thin paint. 

This is really why I have such an issue with MRP paint being referred to ask "ink", because in the strictest sense of the definition (as laid out by the artists and print makers who originally made ink) laid out in the art world once you have a lacquer base, you no longer have ink you now have really thin paint. 

Its their company, so they can refer to it any way they choose. As long as no one tries to get me to refer to them in that way, as I still hold the original definition of what an ink is, and MRP does not fit it. 

Thanks for the update. If MRP is deliberately controlling stock to their only US vendor, that IMNSHO, is a pretty bad marketing plan by MRP. Of note, I have no idea if that claim is true or not, but I checked several international vendors and they do NOT have the same out-of-stock issue that Hobbyworld USA has as they have the colors I'm looking for in stock. For example, BNA in Australia had every color I was looking for (so did MRP) whereas Hobbyworld only had 4/10. The problem is tax and shipping to the USA makes it economically not viable. I'll pay $8 a bottle for MRP but I sure won't pay $15, especially when MR Color is available to me for about $3 a bottle shipped to me from Asian vendors. And no, I won't be backordering through Hobbyworld either, I'll just buy Mr Color instead. Of note, Hobbyworld's Mr Color availability has many of the same out of stock issues as MRP, in that popular colors are hard to come by. 

Per Matt Bole, the owner of Hobbyworld USA, the problem of supply is on the MRP end, so another US vendor wouldn't help that. He does fill back orders first when he gets new stock so you will get it at some point. Certainly the easiest paint to airbrush I have tried.

Jay

Edited by modelingbob

I don't think it's a deliberate ploy, Bob. The reality is that Mr. Paint has gone from nothing to the most sought-after modelling paint on the market in 5 years, and I'd say they're struggling to keep up with demand. My first non-review set cost me $16 per bottle, shipped from Uschi in Germany. Now I can get them for around $11 per bottle from BNA, and much more quickly too. I still buy and use other paints, but MRP has quickly become my first choice.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

I've struggled at times to find the MRP colors I need and have called and spoken with Matt (Hobbyworld) in the past and he has filled backorders when the paint has come in. It doesn't really make sense MRP holding back inventory to the point of hurting sales but it just might be that MRP might not have the production capacity.

Just seems a shame to need something as simple as a specific paint color, and it's a no go.

Peter

Its their company, so they can refer to it any way they choose. As long as no one tries to get me to refer to them in that way, as I still hold the original definition of what an ink is, and MRP does not fit it. 

Please relax , all I said was they fit the definition of an ink.

Somehow I can tell they're not the same 

maxwell-smart1.gif

In the end I don't care what they're called ,

just how they work (for me) ;)

I messaged MRP on Facebook about the new line I'd seen on their page and if they were going to match the existing shades we may use. The answer was no, these are going to be aimed squarely at figure painters and what I was after for my repair/touch up purposes was their existing Aqua line of paints. I am yet to try these as some reviews I've seen say they are still quite thin and possibly too thin for brushing on. I may just have to order a bottle next time I place an order to test for myself though I'm sure I've seen them reviewed on here last year.

Please relax , all I said was they fit the definition of an ink.

Somehow I can tell they're not the same 

maxwell-smart1.gif

In the end I don't care what they're called ,

just how they work (for me) ;).

No offence intended Mike. Honestly that comment was not directed at you at all.  No need to relax on my side, my only gripe is with the company for starting the campaign calling them inks.