New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

At the risk or thread derailment, after checking out the E-bay auction for  CE Brit Phantom,

I stumbled across an Auction for a CE IAF Peace Jack Conversion also in 1/32 , sitting at a nice round £2100, and the Aerodynamix Buc for £300+ , I won't tell you what I swapped  mine for but it was a LOOOOT less than that !

And at that point gentlemen, ladies, its time to bid E-bay , and 1/32 conversions a fond fair Well

Harold - Time to hit the RTV again!

ColinR

Honestly I cant blame someone for charging what the market will support, but yes, it seems the blame would lie with the people with more money than anything else. To me and a lot of others, those prices are ridiculous, but I guess if you have unlimited funds and time, whole new worlds of options open up, and the ridiculous all of a sudden gets justified.  

What Tony said: the norm with the new normal for kits such as the B-17 and Lancaster is steep and yes pricing the conversion is perhaps high. Difference is that the B-17/Lancaster are available in larger quantities. It should be realized that perhaps only about 30-40 Brit Phantom sets were ever finished (and CE pocketing money while never sending the kits because time was up due to bankruptcy). So, 30 holy grail kits against hundreds of B-17s etc does justify for a seller a higher price. Again, I sell it as I also won’t build it and do not need to have it collect dust. I hope someone gets it who will build it. 

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

There are some*** subjects which are just so must-do that having a copy in every available double-digit scale is fun.

So, I've been getting the following:

***these...........1/72............1/48................1/32 

Su-33................Zvevda........Kinetic............Tan Model ? 

Buccaneer........Airfix...........Tan Model?.... ------- 

F-4K..................Airfix............RevelloGawa...HK Models ?

I gave away a 1/48 Revell-Hasegawa FGR.2 a few years ago thinking it was redundant but am now in the process of buying two replacements and necessary resin as it looks increasingly to be the biggest game in town in my lifetime. Z-M have so screwed up the rear and forward fuselage/canopy on their F-4s that I don't put any faith in a Spey from them.

Tony 

Tony, I still have it, I'll drop it round to you!!! 

10 hours ago, timvkampen said:

What Tony said: the norm with the new normal for kits such as the B-17 and Lancaster is steep and yes pricing the conversion is perhaps high. Difference is that the B-17/Lancaster are available in larger quantities. It should be realized that perhaps only about 30-40 Brit Phantom sets were ever finished (and CE pocketing money while never sending the kits because time was up due to bankruptcy). So, 30 holy grail kits against hundreds of B-17s etc does justify for a seller a higher price. Again, I sell it as I also won’t build it and do not need to have it collect dust. I hope someone gets it who will build it. 

Not only that but with the greatest of respect, at least with the Lancaster B17, and many of the HPH kits you can see some value for money, With the best will in the world, line up a CE / Wild Hare converted phantom amongst a bunch of other Phantoms, Im not so sure. 

41 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Not only that but with the greatest of respect, at least with the Lancaster B17, and many of the HPH kits you can see some value for money, With the best will in the world, line up a CE / Wild Hare converted phantom amongst a bunch of other Phantoms, Im not so sure. 

Of course that is a way of looking at it. What I also see, is most of the models out there are prop-related. Not much jet-engine work (HpH does do the B-52 and B-36 but those are really also highly priced and I have not seen many HpH kits built to be honest...it is a lot of work I think (despite the Viber glass material for main components). Anyway, it is what it is and the CE (WHA) kit is unique from an era where they rained quite supreme :)

On 2/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, timvkampen said:

Of course that is a way of looking at it. What I also see, is most of the models out there are prop-related. Not much jet-engine work (HpH does do the B-52 and B-36 but those are really also highly priced and I have not seen many HpH kits built to be honest...it is a lot of work I think (despite the Viber glass material for main components). Anyway, it is what it is and the CE (WHA) kit is unique from an era where they rained quite supreme :)

CE reigned supreme because there was nothing else around, not because they were correct.   The F-4B set is mostly errors, the F-16XL is a joke, and theF4K/M is not all that great but since it was based Frank's build it turned out the best of the Wild Hare offerings.   Don't know about the f4H-1 conversion as I have never seen one, but the scratch work to convert a stock kit is not overwhelming by any means, with the canopy the biggest challenge if done in resin.   Printing in clear plastic looks promising. 

The CE F-4K/M can be built and turns out very nice.  Because of the value of my CE set,  I have decided to do a scratch build for 90% of my Brit F-4 build vs using it.   May use the intakes, Spey's will be new CAD 3D prints, snd the rest all new parts.  May print out new intakes too.

Thierry is to kind about the Spey's in the CE Set.    Those Spey's are terrible with have no interior detail while the nozzle can be greatly improved with current methods.

1 hour ago, ghatherly said:

CE reigned supreme because there was nothing else around, not because they were correct.  Don't know about the f4H-1 conversion as I have never seen one, but the scratch work to convert a stock kit is not overwhelming by any means, with the canopy the biggest challenge if done in resin.   Printing in clear plastic looks promising. 

Not to side track the discussion on the F-4K/M but I too would love to build the prototype of the F4H-1 in 1/32 after missing out on the CE Set, but I would not pay the last ridiculous price I saw it go for on EBay.

If someone was to sit down and come up with a new set that was more accurate on both fronts than I think all parties including myself would be more than happy with the outcome.  Until then we just have to hope that HKM does finish making this kit and we see it come to fruition.

Edited by Michael931080

5 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Not to side track the discussion on the F-4K/M but I too would love to build the prototype of the F4H-1 in 1/32 after missing out on the CE Set, but I would not pay the last ridiculous price I saw it go for on EBay.

If someone was to sit down and come up with a new set that was more accurate on both fronts than I think all parties including myself would be more than happy with the outcome.  Until then we just have to hope that HKM does finish making this kit and we see it come to fruition.

This is also a unique subject. Maybe Gary can pick it up then? Although CE was one of the first around I have not seen a lot after them that have tackled desired conversions (GT excepted; lovely F-4B/N set!). So, again, the F-4K/M discussion(s) will continue to pop up...until a regular injection molded version is released by one of the big ones (Tamiya (not going to happen probably), ZM (slim chance since they are 48-focussed and only tackle props in 32 (Horten as an exception)), HK (not going to happen), KH (not going to happen), and Italeri (not going to happen, although a Tonka is coming!)...so, either do a cut-up F-4J of Tamiya, use GTs resin or get the CE set... anyway, I hope for ZM one day to upscale their fabulous Phantoms