Revell 1/28 SPAD XIII C. I

Another entry in this GB. I started this model in the spring of 1969. The Revell 1/28 SPAD was originally issued as kit H-256 in 1957. At that time it had decals for Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker's A/C. It may have been the very first in this series of 1/28 WWI a/c models.

My kit was a later re-issue featuring Lt. Frank Luke's a/c. Frank Luke being remembered as the "balloon buster" of the A.E.F. Lt. Luke was killed in combat in 1918.

It is amazing that all of the parts have survived until now. I was building this kit while stationed in Pensacola Fla. attending USN communications school prior to being stationed overseas for the next three years...so I think that completing this model some 38 years later would be a good thing...at this point an OOB build seems appropriate...

Attached is a pick of the parts and assembly to date...

Cheers,

ggc

PB240061cropped.jpg

I'm pretty sure that "started in the spring of 1969" qualifies this build for 'stalled' status. :rolleyes: That would've been right around my fourth birthday.

It's really amazing that you still have it at all, much less in the great condition it seems to be in! Even the decals seem to be in pretty good condition...

This one clearly deserves to be finished and given a place of pride on your shelf.

better late then never though being stalled long enough to have grand kids is a bit long dont you think :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Interesting choice and we dont get much WW1 stuff so it will be nice to see completed

Hi

Better late than never indeed. What paint scheme does this come with??? I saw a Walfisch with a brilliant fish scale paint job and thought that would be hard to do.

Thanks

Ian

Ian: The model was painted (for the most part ) back in '69. It has an olive green upper color and an off white on the bottom and on the lower nose. If you look at the pic posted earlier their is a stlyalized eagle on the fusalage, apparently Lt. Lukes personal markings. I want to preserve as much of the earlier paint as possable and add updated minor details including rigging. The upper wing needs the AEF decals and I hope to use the original decals for that. All other decals were added during the original building period...

Cheers,

ggc

I slapped one of these SPAD's togeather as a kid when it was a new kit in 1958/59...at that time my favorite a/c models were the .79 cent Aurora WWI planes....when I get this one done (finally) it will be on of my oldest kits...my oldest could be the 1/64th B-25B issued by Revell in 1953/54. I don't recall how many of those i built and destroyed as a kid. I currently have four of them built in my collection.

I guess 1/28 never caught on as a popular scale... :rolleyes: , but it will be a nice sized model when finished...

Cheers,

ggc

I slapped one of these SPAD's togeather as a kid when it was a new kit in 1958/59...at that time my favorite a/c models were the .79 cent Aurora WWI planes....when I get this one done (finally) it will be on of my oldest kits...my oldest could be the 1/64th B-25B issued by Revell in 1953/54. I don't recall how many of those i built and destroyed as a kid. I currently have four of them built in my collection.

I guess 1/28 never caught on as a popular scale... :P , but it will be a nice sized model when finished...

Cheers,

ggc

HI Yep those old kits from the fifties were a lot of fun to build and crash. I guess thats what got a lot of us hooked on modeling when we were kids and were still at it. It's sure is going to be neat to see you finish the Spad.

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Me too...I have been doing some work, I'm missing the control stick and have been doing some research on XIII cockpit and engine details, the Revell kit is quite simplified...I'm trying to resist the urge to add too much additional detail as my goal here is to complete this model somewhat like I may have done in 1969,, :lol: ...however, I won't be using sewing thread for the rigging... ;) ...IMO the SPAD XIII is a cool looking a/c...this one is carring Lt.Frank Luke's markings and for us AEF history buffs makes it more meaningful..

I'm almost done with the Vulgarian comic Ni-11...and the SPAD will share the workbench with the Under 50 GB Phantom Mustang...

Hope to get them all done... :P

Cheers,

ggc

PB240061cropped.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ggc, yes the 'pit is simple, but mostly accurate. I have some of these, and I figured to thin the wing attachment points, attach the struts to the bottom wing, and fill the gaps. The ends should be tapered also, after the big rigging loops are removed.