HpH conversion set 1/32 MiG-23BN is officially out

Siola

Guest Airfixer

Is there many differences between the -23BN and the -27, other than the intake splitters?

What Thierry wrote.

Despite of the overall similarities, the MiG-27 was an entirely different beast. It also depends on which version of the MiG-27 you'd be up to...MiG-27 sans suffixe/K/M/D. Totally different intake geometry, the K introduced wing glove LERXs, the M introduced a slightly longer and more voluminous nose, different targeting systems (Fon, Klyon-PM, Kaira), different wheel sizes, bulged lower intermediate fuselage,GSh-23L versus GSh-6-30 gun, etc., etc., etc...

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

the canopy looks nice, hope it corrects the trumpy one, so we can also use it on the other Mig 23 models

I'm afraid you can't use the HpH canopy as is.

First, you'd have to correct the cockpit sills, on the Trumpeter kits the sills feature a way too heavily pronounced fwd inclination (the sills should run virtually parallel to the fuselage datum line) and you'd have to reduce the fwd inclination of the fwd canopy frame of the HpH clear part, still ending up with a kit windshield that's too short and depicts a wrong overall geometry. Just in case: the HpH windshield won't fit.

Trumpeter trainwrecked the fwd fuselages of all their 48th and 32nd scale MiG-23/27 boxings to the max.

Edited by Airfixer

Well, discussed this kind of conversion kit 3 or 5 years ago with CMK/Quickboost and else, but there was no interest to make one. Now finally it happened. Good News.

Me? I am still satisfied with my Mig-27 kit. No Need for a BN.

Regards

- dutik

Hi Dutik, what Mig-27 kit do you have? I was only aware of vacs, so an IM one would be nice.

LEM kits produce a very nice resin kit, hopefully the HpH canopy will fit, and maybe some cockpit parts as the LEM kit is a bit spartan in that area.

Guest Clunkmeister

Ohhhhh Boy!!!!

I've been picking away at one of these, and as of yet, am still early on enough in the build to change camels mid-desert...

This is by FAR my favorite version of the 23.

Guest Smitty44

Ohhhhh Boy!!!!

I've been picking away at one of these, and as of yet, am still early on enough in the build to change camels mid-desert...

This is by FAR my favorite version of the 23.

Sounds like your early on on about 20 builds

I am wondering about the extend of this conversion set. Yes BN is a derivate based on the same airframe, but as Eric said before there is so much more then it meets the eye, brake shields , exhaust nozzle, landing gear etc. I mean judge for yourself guys.

BN

mig23bn-1.gif

ML

mig23ml-2.gif

Guest Smitty44

I am wondering about the extend of this conversion set. Yes BN is a derivate based on the same airframe, but as Eric said before there is so much more then it meets the eye, brake shields , exhaust nozzle, landing gear etc. I mean judge for yourself guys.

BN

mig23bn-1.gif

ML

mig23ml-2.gif

Well it doesn't take long to see there are a crap load of panels in different places.

Edited by Smitty44

Guest Smitty44

I would love to see them do some more full 1/32 jet kits. With all their extreme kits nowadays they would be perfect to do a MIG 25. 

Guest Airfixer

Using the Trumpeter ML kit wouldn't make any sense at all. I guess it was just a typo.

MiG-23BN conversion must-haves:

• new fwd fuselage
  • new canopy and windshield
  • new instrument panel
  • semi-podded Delta-NM bullet fairing on the stbd wing glove
  • new AB nozzle/shroud
  • new NLG wheels (the baseline M/MF kit erroneously comes with corrugated wheel disks)
  • new NLG wheel doors

Optional:

• bomb racks
  • new intakes and splitter plates (if they're clever enough to do so)
  • a new rudder as well as a correct-chord and -heigth vertical tail without rudder dampers. The M, UB, BN, the MiG-27 sans suffixe (23-24) and the "original" ML (23-12) built between 1975 and 1978 lacked those dampers, only depicting a single centre rudder hinge.
  • additional A2G armament

A full HpH MiG-27 kit would be really great, and personally speaking, a dream come true. I'd prefer the later K, Emka/Deshka versions, though.

[...] Comrades - It's going to be top quality, and maybe spur HpH to produce more conversions.

Bring 'em on!

In case you may be thinking of the ML/P/MLD, too late for me, though.

Edited by Airfixer