Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

BTW, that seam line on top of the (raw) fuselage will never disappear - it's the spot where a slide meets the mould. Keep the pics coming!

I mistakenly thought the C fuselage might have been retooled from the E fuselage tools.

I don't understand how the molding process works fully, but the Mirage IIIE fuselage is longer than the IIIC. So although there are lots of commonality, they must be different molds. I don't think that they can just stretch or slide it. Panel lines etc are different. But notice that the intake above the speed brakes are in the same place so the rear fuselage parts are the same.

Here is a pic of my Mirage IIIC sitting on top of the IIIE fuselage still on its sprue. The length of the one piece fuselage piece is obvious. I have aligned the rear end of the IIIC fuselage section without the tail cone, with the rear end of the IIIE.

For those that have built the C they will see that the break for the intake piece is in a different place. But the leading edge of the wing, at the wing root is in the same place. It is most likely correct as the E has a longer nose.

Fuselage%20Difference_zpsv8kgvihf.jpg

You can see the different intake positions and the longer nose on the E kit sitting below the C kit. I haven't examined the panel detail yet but the shape and length of the E looks damn good.

The C didn't build like a Tamiya kit, but it wasn't hard to do a good job so kudos to Italeri for getting the shape right. 

The E is special to us Aussies so I am looking forward to getting into it when the time comes in the near future. Got to finish the C first.

Hey Eric ... Nice work! ...

Will there be any masters for a conversion "III.O kit"?  :innocent:

Rog :)

Hi Rog,

At this stage I will be doing a new panel/coaming, and RPK-10's for the model in resin, accurate for Aussie Mirages, and in very limited quantities.

Onto some building (this isn`t one of those cut parts off sprues and call it a build thread threads).

I have started the modification process of the instrument panel. I will be keeping this as close to `bolt on' as possible, so the panel has been glued to the coaming to make it one big part and then it will be further modified from there. The idea will be the same as my IIIC panel which just required cutting off the casting block to fit into the kit tub.

As TTAIl has quite rightly pointed out, the center pedestal is not accurate for a RAAF version, so it has had the detail scrubbed off and its profile slightly changed, ready to accept new detail. I have also sharpened up a small panel under the radar screen.

IMG_2825_zpsdz39jxpx.jpg

Here is the coaming, which will be completely re-built.

IMG_2826_zpsmzbsn5b9.jpg

The rear parts of the engine, which will be barely visible. Alclad burnt Iron. Will just require a dry brush of silver.

IMG_2824_zpszn7evyav.jpg

Some of the intake parts painted in Semi Matte Aluminium. These required a little work to smooth out their ejector pin marks. Nothing major.

IMG_2827_zpsrm3g2foe.jpg

The inside of the jetpipe. PAinted Alclad Dark aluminium. I have filled the ejector pin marks and also filled a small hole which shouldn't be there. (was meant to accept the engine servicing stand)

I will do some post shading and a wash tomorrow.

IMG_2823_zpsasxgb4eu.jpg

Now the mould seam on the rear fuselage. This was causing folks all sorts of grief on the IIIC and I saw some pretty drastic fixes proposed for it. 10 minutes per side and it is fixed..... easily.

I sanded around the seam, leaving the area requiring filler devoid of scratches. 

IMG_2813_zpsydznaudt.jpg

Filled it with superglue

IMG_2814_zpstcgwwr0h.jpg

Fixed using some Flory sanding sticks

IMG_2828_zps492hhjpu.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Super start on the RAAF Mirage and looking forward to following your build with great interest.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks guys.

I stripped off most of the detail from the front of the instrument panel.

IMG_2830_zpseaxqjqf6.jpg

This enabled me to drill out and position a new Bezu ball, made from a small rod of plastic turned to a ball shape.

IMG_2831_zpse0ogxa6q.jpg

Some further detailing included the instrument housing of the Bezu ball, and the rubber radar scope cover, made from brass and plastic card. I have also started detailing the lower console.

IMG_2848_zpskk8prqbm.jpg

IMG_2847_zpsxvgovu5t.jpg

As mentioned before, the rudder actuator fairing is very poorly shaped, so off it came with my trusty micro chisel. 

IMG_2835_zpsrvg3inzk.jpg

I carved a new one from a scrap of resin. I will probably make some copies of this part.

IMG_2836_zpsz128dqbs.jpg

The exhaust in the process of being painted. I post shaded the corrugations with some burnt iron, then applied a wash to highlight the detail.

IMG_2832_zpshwh2phar.jpg

Assembled, prior to close up. No aftermarket neccessary here.

IMG_2834_zpso7yeuvup.jpg

Hi 

I am very excited by your build , I feel you will go further into détails , and I like this . good job for now  :thumbsup: ....as you are on the vertical fin , you can get rid of this little oval stuff under the navigation light ,I don't know where Italieri dug up this " detail"

Alain

Thanks guys.

I am already enjoying this.... and I don't even like jets :ninja:

Peter,

I am preparing the master of the Instrument panel to accept Airscale enhancements. Glad you like it. 

Eric.

Edited by ericg