Revell's ancient P-40E AVG markings - real or fictitious?

Roy Noras

'Sorry Mark, Koike was the Hasegawa artist!'

OOPS!  How right you are.  I guess my dyslexia was showing.  I read Tamiya and thought Hasegawa.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well… I'm very happy with this discussion and I can draw the conclusion that the Revell markings, after all, wasn't that far off. 

For my P-40E I'm able to use the sharkmouth (check), Chinese roundels (check), I can make it in two-colour Camo with grey underside (check), it will have a tail band, albeit blue instead of red (accepted/check), the number has to be in the hundred series instead of 92, e.g. 104 or 108 (accepted/check), I can still use the flying tiger cartoon (check).

All in all very close to the stunning box art painting, which inspired me to start building in 1/32 scale in the first place.

Thank you for your contribution to this tread. Great fun!

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras

Yesterday I found a P-40 kit mixed in with the Scratchbuilders B conversion set. Big white box labeled “P-40â€. Lost for years I guess after the Trumpeter kit came out. Box art good with all the parts. Reminds me of another thread going on about loosing and finding things. This kits box art and the Stuka are my favorites. May have to frame them.

The markings were fictitious, but back then we didn't know and even if we did, there was nothing we could do about it.

Back then I couldn't have cared less about the accuracy of the markings.

It had mean looking sharks teeth  :speak_cool:   very high coolness factor !