Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

Thanks guys.

Some more work. Using Sean's measurements and some fairly non detailed photos, I was able to make a rough shape of the center pylon which will carry the 1300 Liter tank. Unfortunately, this isn't included in the kit, so the only way is to scratch build one. I will be copying this in resin if anyone wants one. I am on the search for detailed photos that will enable me to further refine this pylon with panel lines, rivets and other details. (will pay in resin!)

Here is the best photo I have of the pylon. This gave me a reasonable idea of its position on the airframe and rough tapers on either end.

A3_76_RAAF_Image_000_142_495_0351_A3_76_

I laminated 4 pieces of plastic card together and shaped the pylon with sandpaper. All measurements are accurate to within .05mm. I was quite surprised with how thick it ends up being. Further refinement of the shape will come once I have the fuselage glued together.

IMG_2994_zpsdnl6dvf1.jpg

IMG_2995_zpsldavo6az.jpg

IMG_2996_zpsxgoms85o.jpg

Eric, Sean,
Do you think there would be a pylon out at Fighter World.
At one stage a photographed an Alkan pylon at FW, but I don't think it's what you need.
Let me know, happy to visit.
Nice progress Eric.

8 Feb 1977

"You a man or a Mouse Bograt"  said Yoda from the back seat as we taxied out for my first Mirage ride. "A man Yoda" said I all of 20 years of age . "Good then none of this Mini burner Bullshit Full AB on take off ok ?" ..... err yes said I not knowing the consequences of that reply.

So we lined up ran up to 8460+- 50 RPM min 600deg T4, released the brakes lifted the Throttle waited monitored the AB red INJ light then the yellow AB on light pushed the throttle forward ...... then the helmet fire commenced life as I knew changed forever. The acceleration was something unbelievable. 130kts rushed up I eased  the stick back .... no perceived reaction... gave it some more .... still no perceived movement ... a tad more backstick... then their we were around 180kts and the beast was alive she lurched into the air clearly over pitching I rapidly tried to correct ... yikes clearly to much so correct again.... wtf is going on .... then the dampers popped and the phuogids rapidly increased my first real experience with Mr PIO .... "Taking over" says YODA....  peace and harmony was restored and the earth stabilsed in its orbit again. That was my first taste of Hydraulic controls and the Mirage ... an aeroplane I came to love. It was also the beginning of a lifelong friendship with Yoda.

5 trips later I went solo in the Mirage

Mircrsegrad%20photo_zpsd5m5lqaw.jpg

My course Mates of 33 Mirage Course all proudly wearing our Mirage Patches L to R:

Bob Sheehan ("Shithot"), Myself ("Ttail"), John Blackburn ("JB") , Bob Veneziani ("V8")

Mirpatch_zps1gunnizq.jpg

Edited by TTail

Thanks Sean, keep it up mate.

Some more work on the panel. I have begun fitting lots more wires forward of the IP to represent the tangled mess that seems to exist in the photos that I have. I have also started filling in between some of the wires and into corners with Mr Surfacer to reduce the amount of undercuts that this part will have when it is to be copied using silicone moulding. The last thing that I want is to get this thing into silicone and then try and pull it out and end up breaking the master!

Also visible in these photos is the glare shields either side of the panel.

IMG_3013_zpsnhylyegf.jpg

IMG_3012_zpsihvcg6ah.jpg

IMG_3010_zpsvcc0ggxb.jpg