Fisher Skyray

Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

The bump in the road has been smoothed out.

I decided that the nose gear was too long , so I shortened it. Plus it broke where the wheel fork joins the strut.

4fYIntp.jpg

incVpaV.jpg

So while I sorted this out I continued work by adding wheel doors and Sidewinder rails.

g746Txd.jpg

NixTQ4t.jpg

And the Navpac....and if you look closely the 20mm cannon barrels.

NNsQCf4.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Nice work, Dan!

I see what you are talking about re nose gear. It seems odd the main gear torque links show a lot of weight on them, or compressed, but the nose gear has them with nearly no weight on them, practically full out. Seems odd.

Dan great work!

I just happen to know the designer of the landing gear...I know him equally well as he knows himself actually. The gear were designed to their nominal strut extension. It looks like your gear is mounted in the right place. I'm looking at how much of the gear structure is revealed, relative to the fuselage surfaces. Also, there was a lot of travel in the shock struts, I've noticed the jet sits at a range of angles. Presumably, because of variable ramp weights, strut servicing and temperature. Bottom line adjust as you see fit, the most accurate way by adjusting the struts...maybe not the easiest way.

Good luck! Looking forward to more.

Timmy!

Nice work, Dan!

I see what you are talking about re nose gear. It seems odd the main gear torque links show a lot of weight on them, or compressed, but the nose gear has them with nearly no weight on them, practically full out. Seems odd.

Ray,

Long nose gear was very common in early Naval jets. Angle of attack was everything to get these jets on and off the ground/carrier, given the limited engine power, and wing design of the time. Catapult power too. British Navy F-4 Phantoms for example. The nose gear was modified to extend further than other F-4 variants, to work with the smaller British carriers. It has a double scissor link to accommodate the extra extension of the strut. Not odd, by design, but yes it does look a bit funky I'll give you that!

BTW, the Skyray has a wheel as part of the arresting hook assembly, because the tail was regularly on the ground.

Cheers,

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

Thanks for the comments Tim. The main gear I thought was correct all along. I took great care to install them correctly. But when placed on its wheels it looked quite nose high. I realize that the "stance" will change due to load. I looked at many photos and have shortened the nose gear to get the "stance" normally seen. What it comes down to in the end is personal preference. I think it looks better with the shorter nose gear. Either way could work.

Dan

Guest Peterpools

Dan

Nice progress on the undersides and hoping the nose gear repair will go well.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Hey all, 

I had some issues with the main canopy. I sent an email to Paul and 3 days later I had a new one. Thank you Paul!

Home stretch now. Just get the canopy painted and installed and install the stores and the Ford will be done.

Dan

Guest Peterpools

Paul's customer service in incredible and he is always there for help and guidance:)

Peter

5 hours ago, shark64 said:

Super cool. I cant wait to see it. next stop is Phoenix....how about OrangeCON?

Can't  wait to see it in Phoenix as well. That would mean that I finished it and that I survived the drive out.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...