OK, bit of an update. Lets see if I can get this close to done by the end of the year!
So much nicer to be working on the Dragon/CH kit, I enjoy the Revell kits but some of the earlier kits where a chore to build. And when you try to put anything close to "scale" detail in you start opening up the dreaded can of worms.
Put the power plants together along with the gear and under carriage. As with all Dragon/CH kits they are right and left. I mark all my parts with the part number before removing them from the sprue just in case I get them mixed up. I still need to remove the boot from the landing gear strut.
Started working on the engine cowls.
On the G-4 the lower cowl needs to be opened up. You need to cut out the area between the two openings, (of course I didn't get these pictures ) but it's pretty straight forward. The piece that I cut out I just shaped it a bit and used it to cover the forward trough in the cowl as it has the same curve.
When I set the scoop on I just aligned the rear panel lines on the scoop with the edge of the cowl.
Some thought's about the scoop. The Vasco/Estanislau 110 C,D,E book notes that there was two sizes to the scoops. So with this E-2 kit I'm not sure which one Dragon has used, it looks like the size of the Herdon G-4. The shape may be off in the front...kind of squared? I rounded mine off a bit, may go a little more
Glued on and the cowl shaping started. Made a brass flap for the outlet on the oil cooler. I just glued strip styrene to build up the cowl, worked pretty good. Need to put the four cooling scoops back into the cowl once I finish the shaping.
Pretty close to the spinner at this point. Going to leave it until I get the the UC and engines in to make sure its lined up.
Started working on the fuel tanks. Going to leave them as they are without the angled bottom and the groove. I do have a set of the MDC tanks withe the angled bottom and grooves but I think I will save them for a fighter build. I'm not convinced that all the 110's had them anyway. I did fill in the first groove and cut off the rear tip like the Herdon G-4. I glued .3mm styrene rod in the grooves to represent the weld bead. will need to add the fuel lines and may do something with the fuel cap, the two bumps on the cap aren't right.
Another shot of the tank.
Hope that was clear as mud. All the parts that I made for the Revell kit will be used in this kit.
I going into the pit next.....
Comments or questions welcomed....