488 RAF (NZ) Sqn, Brewster Buffalo

Allok

Some contrasting underside paint.

This is probably one of my most successful masking efforts to date… no bleed whatsoever;

Still needs a bit of touching up.

Pictures111-1.jpg

Pictures112.jpg

Pictures113.jpg

Looking good Keith. I've always like the stubby little Buffalo. Unfortunately I've only got the Tamiya kit in 1/48, but I'm looking forward to building it one day. It'll be nice to see you finish this one too!

Kev

Thanks guys. Any encouragement is appreciated.

So far, this little plane has been a pleasure to build. I can highly recommend it.

The engine was very nice, the cockpit was superb (especially the instrument panel), the wheel wells are nice, the canopy looks great and the surface detailing looks just fine!

I can only put the fit issues down to the short run nature of the kit.

One thing I will mention is the engine cowl/Fuselage mating area. The cowl is quite oval whereas the fuselage is more of an egg shape. Some re-shaping is needed to get these two parts to match. The other problem is the fuselage join just in front of the cockpit. This is a highly visible join and is very difficult to fix (at least on my example)

Demarcation adjusted, overspray fixed, U/C glued in place. (Wheels dry fitted)

Pictures114.jpg

Pictures117-1.jpg

more

I have elected to leave the wheel wells in the interior colour. Although this might be incorrect, I’m too far along now to change my mind.

Next up will be the fuselage band and instrument shroud.

After that will be the codes and decals.

Thanks guys. Any encouragement is appreciated.

So far, this little plane has been a pleasure to build. I can highly recommend it.

The engine was very nice, the cockpit was superb (especially the instrument panel), the wheel wells are nice, the canopy looks great and the surface detailing looks just fine!

I can only put the fit issues down to the short run nature of the kit.

One thing I will mention is the engine cowl/Fuselage mating area. The cowl is quite oval whereas the fuselage is more of an egg shape. Some re-shaping is needed to get these two parts to match. The other problem is the fuselage join just in front of the cockpit. This is a highly visible join and is very difficult to fix (at least on my example)

I have elected to leave the wheel wells in the interior colour. Although this might be incorrect, I’m too far along now to change my mind.

Next up will be the fuselage band and instrument shroud.

After that will be the codes and decals.

Hi Keith

The actual oval section of the cowel is reasonably correct and is meant to look that way

See Photos, will give you some idea (I borrowed these from another site)

buff-rd-v-with-pilots.jpg

76s-buff-rear.jpg

If you were to scrape some of the plastic off the insde of the cowling (where it bulges ), it would look

reasonably accurate

Depending on how accurate you want to build, the cockpit has some detail for an RAF build but lacking

other major items overall, that will make it an accurate model, even the RAF 339E SH kit is still not correct

Re: the wheel wells they should be the underside colour, British MAP purchased aircraft (NOT

lend Lease) would have been painted in US "Equivalent" colours, so chromate yellow

would not have been used in areas like the wheel well. Either underside colour or

the US Equivalant to RAF interior colour.

HTH

Alan

very nice build, good job keith

what kind is the 12$ airbrush?

:blink: It's called an "Air-brush". Comes in a blister-pack and I buy a new one every couple of years. ($12.00 NZD=4.00 Euro)

It's all about paint consistancy and air pressure.

Niiiice. ;) I want one now. heh heh.

With the right motor/prop/canopy, this would be an excellent air racer :lol:

Hi Keith

Nice job on the Buffalo. Those cheap airbrush kits are great got mine awhile back for NZ$25.00 from super cheep auto's and are a copy of the Badger 150 and the badger parts are interchageable as well.

Blackbetty, I'm sure you can get one in Austria at a local art shop maybe or a auto detail shop?

Denie