Okay guys, deal me in. (Revell F4F-4)

wingman777

I'm on the home stretch and with a few days might be able to complete it in time for this group...I'll try to post some images soon. (whew) hurry, hurry

Do you want your original build thread moved over from the Carrier GB? That way there's no discontinuity with the build. Just let us know here and one of the mods will take care of it.

Kev

Yes, I'd really appreciate that Kevin. As you can see in my threads I was able to post some images early on but then using the same camera and PC I started having difficulty. I couldn't get any of the newer images below 100kb. I tried cropping and using the feature that said "reduce all my images" which worked before. I've really taken my time (obviously) with this build and its by far one of my best. I"ll take some more images and try to post them again. :angry: ;)

Another shot of the engine from the other side. The previous image showed the data plate on the engine. This was done using the Archers Fine Dry Transfers which I highly recommend. If you look at these little jewels under strong magnification you can read every letter and they are so easy to use.

post-345-1236112479.jpg

Looking good mate! I'm not sure what's happening with your images, but there's a pinned thread in the Forum Info section that talks about dealing with images for posting here. Well worth a read.

Oh, I moved your thread from the Carrier Aircraft GB and merged it with the one you started here.

Kev

Here you can see the improvement the Eduard PE set makes to the cockpit. The Revell kit cockpit fits well but really is lacking in detail. The sad note is now that the fuselage is sealed up you can't see much of the detail....figures.

post-345-1236113005.jpg

post-345-1236113037.jpg

I slightly varied the color of each of the instruments as it would be on a real aircraft instead of all of them gleaming white. Some of the parts like the red T handles are plastic since the photo etch parts are so tedious in this size. The interior green is a 50/50 mixture of Polyscale RAF interior green and Polyscale Dk. Euro Green to make "bronze green" atleast to my eyes.

post-345-1236113349.jpg

post-345-1236113575.jpg

After studying photos I learned the Wildcat has a colored bulb inside a clear housing. I used 5 minute epoxy to build this area around colored plastic then masked off the front part and painted the back. The kit part was just a blob of dark blue plastic on the end of the wing. The front of the pitot tube is painted with Testors metalizer and buffed to look like bare metal.

At this point I hadn't painted on the insignia.

post-345-1236712867.jpg

Trying to show some details of the cockpit and cowling. The gills are photo etch from the Eduard set. Look closely and you may see the bead sight just in front of where the windscreen should be.

post-345-1236733182.jpg

This is my second time at painting the national insignias on a model. I wanted to use the Montex set but they were not in stock. I've waited 6 weeks and they still haven't come in so I made my own using a Superscale decal set and soe blue "painters" masking tape.

post-345-1236733561.jpg

Here's an overall shot of how its shaping up. I tried to give the roundels on the fuselage the look of being fresh paint and the ones on the wings a bit more weathered or faded due to more exposure to the sun.

post-345-1236733760.jpg