HPH PBY-5A / OA-10A s.n.44-33876 / 2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron

Jan_G

i-FMMNkxZ.jpg

I finally decided to challenge myself and my skills and start this baby. Cat is one of my favourite plane so hopefully I will enjoy the whole build. 

I followed Kent's great build few months ago and still keep his WIP as a huge inspiration. However I will take simplier approach. My plan is to finish it almost ready to start, so gear down, floats up, canopy and blisters open. Like this one...

i-Jqzw8wK.jpg

I would like to finish it as a OA-10 s.n.44-33876 of the 2nd Emergency Rescue Squadron.

This particular plane took part in mission with callsign "Playmate 42" on 4th March 1945. Crew of 1st Lt. Frank Rauschkolb rescued 17 crewmembers from 3 downed B-25's. 

You can read the story here

There is great site www.pbyrescue.com dedicated to 2nd ERS, full of info, pics and run by Jim Teegarden. Jim kindly allowed me to post photos from the web site so I do with his permission.

Even I'm reffering to March 1945 mission , I will finish it as shown on several photos from 1944. 

Upper side of the wings weathering will allow me to play a lot  :coolio:

There are some unpaited replaced parts visible so again some specific stuff.

i-4bJcFT5.jpg

i-kQVfsxv.jpg

i-dzX96d2.jpg

i-wznbPLk.jpg

i-cM3Hzxp.jpg

i-387SQ3m.jpg

i-zKcQBZW.jpg

The kit for my own build of the builds  :)

i-RKB59JH.jpg

i-WXJ3MrD.jpg

I have printed instructions

i-zzwM4MQ.jpg

And parts cleaning has started  :frantic:

i-KcjBk56.jpg

such a great detail...

i-KVjsNzH.jpg

I want to build it as accurate as possible so every advice or suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks for looking

jan

Edited by Jan_G

Guest Peterpools

Jan

WOW, another Big Cat build thread. Will be following with great enthusiasm

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

I'm currently doing the same.  Use a fresh bottle of CA to adhere resin to the interior.  If you don't like the placement of the ribbing you can pop it off and scrape the CA off of the fuselage without any negative effects to the fuselage.

To save time scribe around the part and sand the edge.  Don't worry about the depth of the backing.

The ribbing and bulkheads are not a perfect fit.  Don't worry about it.  The important thing is that the fuselage seams match and mate.  I'm considering drilling holes along the fuselage and pinning it just like an injection molded kit.  I'll see.

I'm having trouble with the fit of the wheel well.  I haven't solved that problem yet.

I'm doing this one:

USN-PBY-5A-BuNo-04982-Ens-Jack-Reid-VP-4

Jack Reid as Pilot.  Found Japanese fleet approaching Midway.

Good luck.  I'll be watching.

Sincerely,

Mark

In furtherance.

Wash everything in mild detergent.  I used dish washing liquid.  Let dry.

From an organizational standpoint, number the construction pages.  Put the same number on zip lock bags.  Inventory and number the parts.  Cross-reference their number to both the parts index page and construction page.  You will get to know and understand the kit, its' parts, and visualize how to put it together by using this method.  Number the part or backing with a pencil/marker, remove, and put in the numbered bag.  This way, when it's time for construction, just match the bag to the page and all of your parts will be available.

My kit has additional parts.  Some parts are miss-numbered.  Use the additional parts for the miss-numbered parts if you can.  As example, my kit is missing a rib or two, from the 'ribbing page', mine is numbered 15, I think.  I used one of the additional rib parts provided.

In my earlier response I mentioned to scribe around the part.  I use the back of a new #11 blade.  For parts 24 thru 32, or something.  Some parts will require a saw.  I'm using RB Productions Micro-Saws.  Those are ribs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Mark

NICE!!!

Where did you get the kit from if I may ask?

Its from a Czech based company called HpH.

i-RKB59JH.jpg

They make a WIDE variety of highly detailed resin models in a variety of scales, but seem to specialize in large scale stuff. They even make custom 1/18th models too.

They are not for the beginner modeler, nor for the faint of heart. Their kits have nearly everything you would need AM wise, but are highly complex, and detailed, and the way they kit their models (small parts in a "pool" of resin to be cut out) can in certain circumstances lead to building frustrations.   If you have a good modeling constitution, some patience, and a lot of sanding material, (not to mention lots of available funds) they can be fun.