I'm in with one P-51, possibly more

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's been two months since I've posted anything, just very busy with my new line of work and suffering from a serious case of modelers blue funk. Well I was forced back into modeling temporarily last week and it doesn pertain to a 1/32 Mustang so I thought I'd post the images here. I'm in the IPMS Eagle Squadron modeling club and we have built several models that were given to WWII vets as a show of our appreciation. Recently we built a P-51B and gave it to Leonard "Hawk" Hunter. He served in Vietnam but is associated closely with many members of the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII. They needed a display for their new chapter located in Goldsboro and named after the late William Eagleson. Mr. Hunter uses the model display as visual reference when he teaches schools about the Tuskegee Airmen and their significance in history. While the model was being transported it was dropped and needed repair so he called me. While I had it in my hands I decided to add a few extra tweaks that were lacking from the original build. After fixing the landing gear, prop and canopy I added some grassy vegetation, drop tanks and a pilot figure. Here are the images of the final product as I handed it back to Mr. Hunter. He was pleased and it will eventually go on permenant display at the new chapter for the Tuskegee Airmen in Goldsboro

post-345-1271588307.jpg

This is the "Reheat" USAAF pilot figure I've been holding in the stash for years and this opportunity just seemed like the right time to use it. Now the challenge is to see if I can get back on my own P-51 project(s) and make some progress.

post-345-1271588458.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, after months of ignoring this build I pushed through the wall and made some progress yesterday. I used milliput to fill in the gap where I'd cut off the veritical fin fillet to make this an earlier D model. After that I added the horizontal stabilizers. the overall fit on this kit is good and none of this procedure posed a problem. It just felt good to get past that stalemate.

post-345-1274613768.jpg

Sometimes you build a model and there are open holes you can see daylight through. This model has that because I chose to open up the air intakeunder the wings, the detail was bogus and I wanted to correct it. Most of the time I would use sheet styrene to cover the holes but I'd already sealed up the fuselage. Well I have this really high tech method to easily solve a problem like this.

post-345-1274630296.jpg

Now I've added the Merlin engine (battery posered version) to the cowling. This kit makes it easy as it was designed with that very thing in mind. The fit is a breeze and I added some extra sprue pieces to help brace it. I even did it in sloppy fashion just because I can get away with it here. Once the lid is sealed it'll never be seen again.

post-345-1274630925.jpg

Atlast the cowling pieces are on and it's getting close to paint time, (my favorite). Okay, so it sorta looks like a Mustang and even a little like a 190-D at this point. Ill keep pressing on this horse until she's saddle ready. the main thing is that after months of rotting on the table I"m making progress with it now.

post-345-1274631290.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

while assembling all the cowling and nose pieces I sanded quite a bit and the nose got a bit flat. I added a glob of milliput to help restore the sei-rounded top and will shape it today.

post-345-1275400164.jpg

The shape of the chin radiator and spinner didn't look accurate when compared to reference book images so I did some reshaping here also. Looks like the radiator is ok now but I might do a bit more on the spinner as it seems to bulbous.

post-345-1275400321.jpg