New resin fillet tail for new Revell P-51D!

1to1scale

You guys are hearing this first before anybody else. Tomorrow evening I will be releasing my next resin set for the Revell P-51D. It will be a correction set that will replace the poorly formed/ manufactured kit flaps.  At this time I am only mastering the lowered flaps. I will have pricing information at the time of release.

In the news on my resin replacement tail, I am overjoyed by the brisk sales in it's first day to market. My phone has been ca'chinging all day as Paypal payments come in. I have sold in the area of 20 units. A good number were  single buyers, multiple sales. I have added a second mold to speed up production.  Might give me a chance to catch my breath during the day. All orders taken today are filled and will be going out in the morning mail. Thanks to LSP members who have purchased and or have contacted me with praise and encouragement.  You're all the best!

Edited by 109ace

One connot just place a fillet on the kit and call it a “late model†Mustang... as previously mentioned there are a myriad of other changes. 

True...but I can't think of a better place to start.   ;)

Edited by coogrfan

One connot just place a fillet on the kit and call it a “late model†Mustang...

I can.

It is not as simple as "adding a fillet" to make a "late" Mustang. It would be as silly as saying that adding a tall tail to a Bf 109 G-6 will make it a Bf 109 K-4. The instrument panels were different. The electrical panels on the right side were different. The panels under the engine were different. But the biggest problem that will be utterly impossible to fix is the canopy. The canopy included in the Revell kit was only used on the D-5. For later types you will need to source the canopy (either Dallas of Inglewood) elsewhere.

Well ... I don't think it's silly to build models more for fun than an obsession with perfection.

This is 'not' a criticism of those who do. I appreciate a super detailed model as much as

anyone. I used to 'concern myself ' with as much detail as possible but I've (recently)

given it up (again). It takes up waaaay too much of my time and doesn't really make a

difference to me when it's all done. I don't compete in contests (I'm more of a 'display only' kinda guy)

so that makes it easier.  Like I said, if one is not concerned about where every dial and

button in the cockpit is, it's importance fades.

...but that's just me :)

I can.

Well ... I don't think it's silly to build models more for fun than an obsession with perfection.

This is 'not' a criticism of those who do. I appreciate a super detailed model as much as

anyone. I used to 'concern myself ' with as much detail as possible but I've (recently)

given it up (again). It takes up waaaay too much of my time and doesn't really make a

difference to me when it's all done. I don't compete in contests (I'm more of a 'display only' kinda guy)

so that makes it easier. Like I said, if one is not concerned about where every dial and

button in the cockpit is, it's importance fades.

...but that's just me :)

I tell you what Mike, as someone who has competed fairly regularly in major IPMS contests lately I almost guarantee that most of the judges dont know any better about details like that anyway.....they are much more concerned about quality of the build, quality of the paint, details added (accurate or not most time) and weather you have the wheels/tires/wings/gear/elevators and what not on straight.

Can't tell you how many "ultra accurate" models in shows lost out to visibly less accurate models simply based on the fact that the ultra accurate model had some minute detail out of sorts.

I'd say build an as you like, and if you enter contests worry more about the build quality than balls to the wall accuracy.

Im not dissing the ultra accurate models, just as Mike said, I love looking at those builds.

I just think people should build as they want either way, but if you enter contests worry about the build first, as generally judges dont remove your model from contention because of things like and early IP on a late Mustang but they do for things like the gear being at slightly different angles.

Again, all I'm saying is people should build however they feel like building.

I just purchased two tails this morning. And as far as the cockpit goes, that just gives me an excuse to buy more of Roy Sutherland's detail sets. A nice positive way to look at things!

Thats the way I would do things.

I already have one of Roys IPs to use, and still have a Yaho IP to use on a different later Mustang.  Im just not in a hurry, so will likely just wait until Revell issues their likely forthcoming filleted Mustang at some point. 

Although details like the IP dont necessarily bother me (again Id be more apt to use something like Roys late IP as apposed to modifying the Revell IP), my only thing would be the canopy. IIRC, I dont think the -5 canopy would be correct with a late filleted tail, but Im no Mustang expert. Although IIARC, the Tamiya kit comes with the later canopy as well..............I wonder like the tail, if that would fit the Revell kit enough to work as well?