1/32 Revell F-4E - What could possibly go wrong!

RichieB

Lookin good so far! I think the Sparrows would still be fairly clean. The weapons crew hangs them and then the crew comes out...does the walkaround with the crew chief and they climb aboard and go to the arm/de-arm area....get the pins pulled and light the burners and go to the tanker for fuel. I have the GT Resin burner cans as well...they are very nice!

Cheers...Ron

If I read you right Richie, you have both the GT Resin and Aires jetpipes?

If so, you may have noticed the little square weld details on the Aires outer petals, which are absent on the GT parts.

How to combine the two?

Well, a task I'm just commencing is to boil up up some foil with eggshells. I'm using the thicker foil that's used as a base for cupcakes, which is submerged with the shells until they turn blackish, with all the imperfections that look like burnt titanium.

I then apply a drop of Micro foil adhesive over an Aires petal, and burnish down the foil with a wooden toothpick until the detail is embossed.

It can then be gently peeled off the Aires petal and gently pressed into place on the GT resin part, then trimmed to fit. I may wire wool it when the adhesive has set as hard as it's ever likely to.

The hardest part so far is getting enough similarly discoloured pieces of foil to cover the 32 pieces required ( or 20 visible ones).

Many thanks Ron & Maxim - light weathering it is then!

Chek - You are absolutely right about the missing detail but I didn't have the time or energy to try and add it. Your method sounds brilliant though I fear is a level of effort far beyond my time/patience border! Good luck and would love to see a picture when you've finished it.

Looks great so far!

Another good option for titanium and grey colored foil is a mason jar of bleach with about an Oz of lead shot, and about 20 or 30 pennies.

The chemical reaction can also generate reds greens and folds depending on the lead to copper ratio.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 8:37 PM, Bruce said:

I could be wrong, but, I believe that the blue stripe you have on your Aim-9 missiles would indicate they are inert!  I don't think you want that unless you are depicting a training mission load.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:37 PM, Bruce said:

Bruce

It turns out that what I thought was a blue band is the optical sensor for the missile so that's not a problem, however, the mounting band that you have painted silver should be white according to my expert Jim Rotramel.  Blue bands do stand for an inert missile.

You mentioned you might add a little weathering...to the best of my knowledge, Missiles and ECM pods weren't left/stored outside.where they would be exposed to the elements(electronics don't do well left in the rain). 

Edited by Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Maru, starting final assembly now so hope to have this completed soon (he says!).

Bruce - many thanks for the info. I will probably add a brown band to the Aim-9s as I've seen this on some photos but I'll probably leave the silver band as I quite like the add colour.

• 2 weeks later...

and ................ she's done!

43843794772_8aa01f2fe1_b.jpg

43174182844_5502166cb6_b.jpg

43891962761_2f1ba2ef97_b.jpg

and for all those wondering if the lights still worked......

43843794082_cf58004924_b.jpg

Phew!

I could probably keep tinkering with the weathering etc etc but in truth, after 2 and a half years its probably time to move on.

Biggest wins - turning the lights on, spending time getting the weapons and drop tanks right,  finally building a great big F-4.

Biggest score-draws - some of the stencils silvered and I couldn't fix them (probably needed better prep), fit could be better in places.

I learned a lot about decals, dry-fitting, weathering paint jobs and when to build detail into big scale (and when to not bother).

Still there's always next time which in my case will probably be an early F-15B in candy stripes.

Thanks for watching and all the comments, much appreciated.

Have fun out there!