Hawk T Mk 1 ETPS - FINISHED, COMPLET, FINITO ...

• 3 weeks later...

Looking very nice indeed

I must invest in those intakes myself....for my next hawk.....they really look much better then the kit parts.....I know no aftermarket for my current build but will consider for my future one....

Hope to see some more progress on your build....love the scheme that you got choosen

Any ideas as to what you will be doing for the cockpit devided on the canopy ?. 

Rgds

Brian

Hi folks, thank you for all the kind comments and interest, and especially to Brian ^^^ for a timely reminder.

Alas, this one has languished a bit: I've been doing a Stearman for a mag, taking time out for my one annual fortnight of sport (parked in front of the TV for the Wimbledon Championships) and dealing with real life things such as some 1:1 painting in the house and some gardening.

However, Wimbledon is over (Well done Andy Murray, and to Henri Kontinen and Heather Watson), and the Stearman is nearly done, so after catching up on the chores I hope to make a bit of headway on the Hawk.  I've not really thought about the canopy yet, but reproducing the MDC wil probably give me cause to ponder.  Any suggestions welcome.

Watch this space ...

Edited by MikeC

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some slow progress!  The intake fit is not quite perfect after all: there is a distinct step between the rear of the intake and the underside of the wing root, which meant building up the profile.  So I started with some plastic card scraps, then lots of filler-sand-repeat.

WP_20160723_16_52_01_Pro_zpsxmqftgey.jpg

Almost there.

A smidgeon of filler at the wing roots needed.

WP_20160723_16_52_08_Pro_zps3dobfbq5.jpg

Just needs a clean-up now, and it's time for that first overall coat of primer.

[Edit - duplicate first photo due to finger trouble now removed]

Edited by MikeC

• 4 weeks later...

A little more done - slow but steady.  She's ready for an overall "undercoat" of a very light grey to even things up, and then it's on with the Raspberry Ripple.  The windscreen is fixed, the main canopy is tacked with white glue, it's easier than masking that big open cockpit!

WP_20160820_21_22_51_Pro_zps7fqmwiyd.jpg

To add a little interest, I thought I'd put a map or some other document on top of the coaming behind the windscreen; then I found the very book in my library.  I scanned it, and reduced the image to 1:32; printed it; cut the image plus an equivalent area out and folded it like a book cover; inserted a piece of white card; voila, one book to 1:32:

WP_20160820_20_44_21_Pro_zps0vpgfo0i.jpg

You may not be able to tell what it is from that, so here's my pilot's latest read at full size: just a little extra tribute ...

WP_20160820_20_44_47_Pro_zpsmz3vg4fz.jpg

Edited by MikeC

Looking good

consider putting the nav lights on before painting.....as on my example some filler was needed on one side

Would be a pita to get it done after a nice paint job

Rgds

Edited by Mr b

Gave the grey a quick polish with some fine micromesh, then shot a coat of white over the white and red areas.  Unfortunately this has highlighted one or two small flaws, but another polish out of said flaws and a further thin coat of white should sort it out.

WP_20160827_12_48_34_Pro_zpstknvijtp.jpg